Who is doing toilet and FSM product and technology design / R&D and what are you working on?

38.4k views

Page selection:
  • awhitesell
  • Developer of WASH technology

Re: Who is doing toilet and FSM product and technology design / R&D and what are you working on?

Hi All,

Here is the latest version of my tech table. I've divided up and color coded the categories. They correspond to the colors/categories in the EAWAG Compendium of Sanitation Systems and Technologies. As usual, the new material is indicated by bright green highlighting in the "Name" column.

I still have about 100 more items to add to the table and I need to complete the empty cells. Thanks Adam and Tyler for giving me so much material.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Whitesell
President/Founder of Beaumont

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: povington

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • awhitesell

Re: Who is doing toilet and FSM product and technology design / R&D and what are you working on?

Hi Adam,

The PATH tool is great. Thanks for sharing it with me. I'll update my sheet to include the missing technology. I'll also include the PATH tool in my TOOL section. Although maybe it isn't worth the effort as the PATH tool seems to supersede my document in content and functionality. Does PATH have a plan to keep the tool up-to-date?

Cheers and I hope the year is off to a great start.

Andrew
Andrew Whitesell

• adrolet

Hi Andrew,

Hope this finds you well and that you'll be able to enjoy the holidays. I appreciate you taking on this landscape and am quite thrilled that it continues to be a living document. If helpful and additive, PATH created a sanitation technology filtering tool that helps users identify appropriate sanitation technologies for their specific use case. The idea is users go through the tool, select use case parameters, and the tool helps point to appropriate technologies. Perhaps a few degrees removed from what you're doing, but at a minimum, I thought you could mine to tool to see if any tech could be included in your landscape.

Links to the tool and instructions can be found below:
www.path.org/resources/sanitation-technology-filtering-tools/

Cheers
Adam
---
Adam Drolet
Program Officer

PATH
The following user(s) like this post: Lars

• awhitesell

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for writing. I'll go through the resources you provided and include relevant tech and services in the next revision of my table.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Whitesell

• povington

Hi Andrew,

I just found this thread, and I'm excited to see you've already developed such a long list of sanitation technology and service providers. I think you might be familiar with the Sanitation Technology Platform (STeP) website already, but I wanted to flag a few of our resources and one from the Toilet Board Coalition that might be interesting for you if you continue to expand this document.

The Transformative Technology Directory contains regularly updated information, including system specifications, contact information, demonstration videos, etc. related to BMGF-funded sanitation technologies. Access here: techdirectory.stepsforsanitation.org/

STeP has also done a number of technology landscapes over the years covering other (non BMGF-funded) technologies as well, including in:
  • Sludge Thickening, Dewatering, and Drying Technologies --> stepsforsanitation.org/2018/01/sludge-th...drying-technologies/
  • Wastewater Treatment Technologies: The Landscape in India --> stepsforsanitation.org/2015/12/wastewate...-landscape-in-india/
  • Bio-based Sanitation Technologies: The Landscape in India --> stepsforsanitation.org/2015/12/bio-based...-landscape-in-india/
  • Incineration and Combustion Toilets: A Product and Patent Landscape --> stepsforsanitation.org/2017/04/incinerat...nd-patent-landscape/

• We have also captured business models used by sanitation enterprises, including in:
  • Sanitation Solutions: Business Models for Access --> stepsforsanitation.org/2016/03/the-sanit...s-models-for-access/
  • Business Model Assessment of Sewage Treatment Plants --> stepsforsanitation.org/2016/04/business-...ge-treatment-plants/

• Outside of STeP resources, I recently saw the Toilet Board Coalition named a number of sanitation enterprises, often deploying proprietary technologies, in a recent report. Technology details are not provided, but they could be chased down with this document as a starting point. --> www.toiletboard.org/media/52-Scaling_the_Sanitation_Economy.pdf

I hope you are able to continue this work. I think resources like yours and others on the SuSana, STeP, TBC, and other sites can help organizations work work more efficiently in the sanitation space.

Best,
    Tyler Ovington

• awhitesell

Here is the latest revision of the Sanitation Technology Landscape.

Cheers,

Andrew
    Andrew Whitesell

The following user(s) like this post: povington

• awhitesell

Hi Elisabeth,

There is certainly some overlap between my table and the SuSanA project database and the IRC Sanitation Business Catalog (the DASRA database links did not take me to something comparable). I think the difference is my format which provides less information and is more easily perused. The idea is that if something looks interesting the user can dig deeper themselves.

Within the next couple months I'll go through both of them and revise my table to include the interesting technologies I find.

Regarding the initiative succeeding...I'm currently updating the table on my own time and will continue to do so if there appears to be sufficient interest from the SuSanA members and people submit information to me about their projects or projects they know of. To date, interest seems rather minimal.

That said, I plan to release another revision this week.

Cheers,

Andrew
    Andrew Whitesell

• Elisabeth
    • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Thanks a lot for sharing your Sanitation Tech Landscapes with us! Sharing is caring - so thank you!
    Your idea reminds me a bit of the "Sanitation Yellow Pages Online" which is something that pops up from time to time...

I put "Yellow pages" into the search field of the forum and found some previous threads on this:
    - By IRC: forum.susana.org/161-sanitation-as-a-bus...w-publication-by-irc
    - For India: forum.susana.org/279-knowledge-managemen...tners-in-india-dasra

I have never seen an initiative that really succeeded though. Usually maintenance of such a database is after a while no longer funded...

I wonder if the SuSanA project database fulfills some of the objectives that your sanitation tech landscape is trying to meet as well. It can be filtered by country, technology, sanitation chain element, reuse and so forth. It contains nearly 500 projects by now:
    www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects/database

Do you see any overlap or is your compilation something completely different?

Regards,
    Elisabeth
    Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
    Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
    Located in Ulm, Germany
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• awhitesell

Here is the latest Sanitation Tech Landscape version. I've included Extraction and Transportation tech.

Cheers,

AW
    This attachment is hidden for guests.
    Andrew Whitesell

• blevira
    • WaSH researcher with background in environmental engineering and more than 11 years of designing and implementing WaSH projects in urban and rural Tanzania.

Re: Reply: Who is doing toilet and FSM product and technology design / R

Dear Rao,
    The potential initiatives (FSM and DEWATS) that you proposed, did you mean FSTPs for FS and DEWATS for WW or?... I am interested, currently conducting a similar study here in Tanzania.
    Regards,
    Beda Modest Levira
    Environmental engineer and researcher
    Ifakara Health Institute (IHI)
    Tanzania, East Africa
    This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
    Working as the project leader for 2 projects 1) HDIF (DFID) and 2) LIRA 2030 here in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

• awhitesell

Hi All, here is the latest version of the tech landscape. There is a new section (section 2) and a few modifications to section 1. Feel free to suggest changes and additions.
    Andrew Whitesell

The following user(s) like this post: samshancn, edonlon, Heiner

• awhitesell

Hi All,

Attached is a first draft of a Sanitation Technology Landscape. A few things to note:
    1. I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to the upkeep of the document so it will be a bit erradict. I will try to release revisions every two weeks or so but that will depend somewhat on feedback provided and interest.
    2. Feel free to suggest changes, point out errors and ommisions, etc.
    3. I will display other parts of the table after I have a chance to review the content.
    4. I lost my references when I converted the file. My apologies for uncited sources.
    5. The yellow cells indicate that data is missing.
    6. I've removed some information from the original table. If you would like your contact information listed, please let me know.
    7. Feel free to email me about any tech you would like to see added to the table.
    8. I'll update the file name to include the current date, each time I post a revision. I'll indicate new information and revisions with text color.
    Andrew Whitesell

Page selection:
    Share this thread:
    Recently active users. Who else has been active?
    Time to create page: 0.144 seconds