New free simulator for visualisation and sustainability assessment of sanitation systems available - SAmpSONS

Page selection:
  • htuy
  • Research associate - Institute of Research and Outreach on the Natural Environment and Society (IARNA) / University Rafael Landivar (URL)

Re: New free simulator ... - SAmpSONS - how to best use it in English language // Paper available

Thanks for sharing, Manfred.

Best regards from Guatemala,

Héctor Tuy
Universidad Rafael Landívar
Maya-Kaqchikel - Natural resource manager with more than twenty years of experience in working with government agencies, NGO, and local communities in design, execution and evaluation of complex projects linking the environment to development. Currently, I am undertaking teaching and research at IARNA/URL. In recent years, I have been actively providing technical assistance to the World Bank’s Wealth Accounting and the Valuation of Ecosystem Services (WAVES), UNEP global environmental assessment process (GEO-5 and GEO-6), and USAID´s Monitoring and Evaluation Program (MEP). Among other things, I am also editor and collaborator of the Environmental Data Compendium of Guatemala and the Environmental Profile of Guatemala (IARNA/URL). And I am member of the Indigenous Organism for Development Planning (NALEB), I lead the Ecosystem Service Partnership Region Chapter 2 on Central America & Caribbean and sub region 2A on Central America...

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • masch
    Topic Author

Re: New free simulator ... - SAmpSONS - how to best use it in English language // Paper available

Dear all,

to those of you who are having a look at the Sampsons simulator:
When, after having started the program, you have selected your preferred language (German or English), close the program and start it again - then you will also get (most of) the block parameter dialogues in your preferred language (German or English).

Recently, the paper on the Sampsons simulator has been published in Water Science and Technology:

Schütze, M., Wriege-Bechtold, A., Zinati, T., Söbke, H., Wißmann, I., Schulz, M., Veser, S., Londong, J., Barjenbruch, M., Alex, J. (2019): Simulation and Visualization of Material Flows in Sanitation Systems for Streamlined Sustainability Assessment;
Wat. Sci. Tech. 79, 10, 1966 - 1976, doi.org/10.2166/wst.2019.199

Anyone interested in this paper, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to provide the paper upon request.
Also, any questions or suggestions (in particular about which sanitation option are you missing in the simulator?) very welcome!

Many regards from Magdeburg/Germany

Manfred
Dr. Manfred Schütze
ifak - Institut fuer Automation und Kommunikation e.V.
Wasser und Energie / Water and Energy / Agua y Energía
Werner-Heisenberg-Str. 1
39106 Magdeburg, Germany
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; Web: www.ifak.eu

• masch
    Topic Author

Re: New free simulator for visualisation and sustainability assessment of sanitation systems available - SAmpSONS

Dear Elisabeth, dear all,
Many thanks, Elisabeth, for your message!
The intended endusers of the SampSONS simulation/visualisation tool are city engineers or similar people who
have to decide about sanitation options for a given agglomeration. Of course, consultants and researchers could
use the tool, too. So far, the tool has been used for several case studies in Germany - but we think that it will be useful
for world-wide application, too.
Attached you will find some sample graphs. A full documentation, with more examples, can be found in the report, which is accessible from the "Help" menu of the simulator.

Furthermore, recently, a paper on the SampSONS tool has been published in "Water Science and Technology"
(Schütze, M., Wriege-Bechtold, A., Zinati, T., Söbke, H., Wißmann, I., Schulz, M., Veser, S., Londong, J., Barjenbruch, M., Alex, J. (2019): Simulation and Visualization of Material Flows in Sanitation Systems for Streamlined Sustainability Assessment; Wat. Sci. Tech., doi.org/10.2166/wst.2019.199) - Anyone interested in the paper, please let me know.

Looking forward to receiving feedback and more questions.

Manfred
Dr. Manfred Schütze
Werner-Heisenberg-Str. 1
39106 Magdeburg, Germany
E-Mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.; Web: www.ifak.eu

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: New free simulator for visualisation and sustainability assessment of sanitation systems available - SAmpSONS

Dear Manfred,

Thanks for sharing this here. Do you have any presentations or screenshots or case study examples how this simulator has been used by others in practice? Who is the target audience for using it and what are its main applications?

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• masch
    Topic Author

New free simulator for visualisation and sustainability assessment of sanitation systems available - SAmpSONS

Dear SuSanA forum members,

thought the following might be of interest to you. The free SAmpSONS simulator can be used to simulate, albeit in a simplified way, resource fluxes in sanitation systems and visualise them by means of Sankey diagrams.

Furthermore, it allows a simple LCA-type analysis to be carried out. Parameters for efficiencies, cost and material functions can be entered by the user. The simulator might also be useful for capacity building and

training purposes. The program can be run in German and in English language. Whilst, at the moment, the simulator reflects more the situation in Central Europe, it still might be of interest to the worldwide SuSanA community.

If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact me.

Many regards

Manfred Schütze, ifak research institute Magdeburg/Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

As a core result of a project funded by Deutsche Bundesstiftung Umwelt (DBU), the free SAmpSONS simulator has been made public. It can be downloaded from ifak's webpage. SAmpSONS allows to visualise resource fluxes of new and alternative sanitation systems by means of Sankey-diagrams of flows and of resource fluxes (e. g. N, P). Furthermore, SAmpSONS allows a simple assessment of their sustainability according to ecological, economical and social criteria. It has been developed jointly by the project partners (Björnsen Consulting Engineers - BCE, Technische Universität Berlin, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar und ifak) and can now freely be downloaded from ifak's webpage. Therefore, SAmpSONS can contribute to the discussion and decision processes related to new and alternative sanitation systems. Detailed dynamic simulation of wastewater systems, however, is not possible with SAmpSONS. For these tasks, the simulators of the Simba# family of ifak are available.

Download link to free download: www.ifak.eu/en/products/sampsons
Dr. Manfred Schütze
Werner-Heisenberg-Str. 1
39106 Magdeburg, Germany
The following user(s) like this post: ddiba, carlaorozco

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds