Low cost upgrade, SaTo Vs ??? - for communities on the islands of lake Victoria in Tanzania

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Low cost upgrade, SaTo Vs ??? - for communities on the islands of lake Victoria in Tanzania

What does Lixil in Tanzania say about this? They have probably generated some experiences with user expectations by now in this country?

Personally, I am not sure if "locally made" would always beat "imported plastic" provided the imported plastic item has lots of benefits (like low cost, durable, nice colours, light weight etc.). I am thinking about electronic items like mobile phones: Who cares that they are imported from another country? If they work and provide the right service at the right price then it's the product that consumers will desire, isn't it? (or am I viewing this too simplistically).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Simonewing
    Topic Author

Re: Low cost upgrade, SaTo Vs ??? - for communities on the islands of lake Victoria in Tanzania

Thank you for your reply, sorry for the confusion, I guess I meant demand ( and have linked up with lixil in TZ therefore can create a supply), but the question is really regarding the preference, is there any experience of which would be more desirable when put head to head, i.e. something that can be locally made and replicated, versus a plastic (!!!) product that needs a supply chain?

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Simon,

I don't quite understand your question? Did you mean to say you can create a demand for SATO pans but want to know if they are available in Tanzania?
Looking on their website, I see Tanzania shown in their list of countries so there are probably other SATO pans already in use there:
www.sato.lixil.com/products
(however, the SATO website is still rather bare, I have to say)

Do we have others on the forum who have used SATO pans in Tanzania or neighboring countries?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Simonewing
    Topic Author

Low cost upgrade, SaTo Vs ???

I'm working with communities on the islands of lake Victoria in Tanzania. I can create a supply of the SaTo pour flush pans which would be appropriate but would depend on the availability of the product. Does anyone have any insight of the preference of SaTo products over a locally created technology such as the concrete sanplat? I do not want to push a product if it is not locally appropriate.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds