The excrevator (power auger) to empty pits (North Carolina State University, USA) - now field testing

51.9k views

Page selection:
  • FrancisdelosReyes
    Topic Author
  • I am a professor and environmental engineer at NC State University, USA. I am interested in wastewater treatment, WASH, microbial ecology.

Re: The excrevator (power auger) to empty pits (North Carolina State University, USA) - now field testing

Hello Scoop Squad,

Sorry for the delayed response. I am not sure if I responded to you by email. I thought I did, but maybe not...

Please send me an email again so I can respond to your specific questions. Thanks!
Francis de los Reyes III
Professor/TED Fellow
You need to login to reply
The topic has been locked.
  • Elisabeth
  • I'm passionate about SuSanA's role in the WASH sector since about 2005. I'm a freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: The excrevator (power auger) to empty pits (North Carolina State University, USA) - now field testing

Dear all,

For those of you following progress of the excrevator tool by the group of Francis at North Carolina State University, take a look at this presentation at the FMS3 conference:

The “Excrevator” - Safe and Effective Pit Emptying: Tate Rogers, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA
www.susana.org/images/documents/07-cap-d...1/2-1-3-6-Rogers.pdf

It includes results from their field testing in:
  • Hyderabad, India
  • Durban, South Africa
  • Mzuzu, Malawi
From their summary slide:
  • The Excrevator is an effective pit emptying tool if trash content can be managed
  • An assortment of tools are necessary to empty the high variability of existing pits
  • Field testing to continue in Malawi in Early 2015
  • New field testing locations to be determined

As far as I know, their current phase of funding is coming (or has come) to an end, so I think they are looking for more funds for further R&D, so I wish them good luck with that!

Regards,
Elisabeth

+++++++++++

Note by moderator: we have closed this thread. Further discussions are taking place here:
forum.susana.org/99-faecal-sludge-transp...pits-trash-exclusion
Or look for further posts by Francis de los Reyes by clicking on his forum profile when you are logged in.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
Founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
Attachments:
You need to login to reply
The topic has been locked.
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.331 seconds