Recordings for 2020 Rich Earth Virtual Summit: Reclaiming Urine as a Resource

• Elisabeth
  • I'm passionate about SuSanA's role in the WASH sector since about 2005. I'm a freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: 2020 Rich Earth Virtual Summit: Reclaiming Urine as a Resource (15-17 September, online)

Here is a reminder for everyone that you can still register for this online event which starts today and looks very interesting. It's the Rich Earth Virtual Summit: Reclaiming Urine as a Resource. Scroll up (or down) to the post before mine to see the program and registration link. Or see here:  https://richearthinstitute.org/2020-summit-schedule/

It's an interesting concept to make access "by donation". I hesitated a bit when I registered whether I felt like paying or not... (for those on no income, the option exists to register for free). In the end I did make a donation just to support the process and maybe get used to it. If we will have more online events in future and less face to face meetings (a development which I would support), we might have to get used to having to pay for such online events more and more in future, especially if they are not funded by the big organisations like Worldbank, UNICEF etc. 

Anyhow, now I look forward to attending those sessions that match my awake hours (my time zone in Australia is 14 hours ahead of Boston)... 

Elisabeth
Head moderator of this Discussion Forum
(under consultancy contract with Skat Foundation funded by WSSCC)

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
Founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
You need to login to reply
  • RichEarthInstitute
  • The Rich Earth Institute envisions a world with clean water and fertile soil achieved by reclaiming the nutrients from our bodies as elements in a life sustaining cycle. We engage in research, education and technological innovation to advance the use of human waste as a resource.

Re: 2020 Rich Earth Virtual Summit: Reclaiming Urine as a Resource (15-17 September, online)

Thanks Elisabeth!!

We will also be posting recordings of all of the sessions on that same page of our website after the event. We realize that the timing is not very conducive to all time zones - especially Australia!

Here's a map of where our attendees were calling in from today:
*Reclaiming urine as a resource*
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: Robert74
  • Robert74
  • Solar-Dripper inventor

Re: Urine Diversion Webinar: Tove Larsen's keynote address at the 3rd Annual Urine Diversion Summit (USA)

I did participate to this "Rich Earth Virtual Summit" yesterday and the system works quite well !

I was online from Annecy in France with ZOOM doing live discussions and
presentations  with people in Vermont, Brasil, Oregon, Africa or Canada.

There are a lot of interesting projects.    About 80 to 120 people were connected online.

This type of meeting is quite eco friendly compared to taking a plane and to spend spend xxx € for a short travel.

Today I will follow it on my phone ... while working in the tomato garden !

Good job !

Robert Cossette

solar-dripper.com/wp-content/uploads/ORI...ichearth-sept-16.pdf
Robert Cossette

solar-dripper.com
The following user(s) like this post: RichEarthInstitute
  • RichEarthInstitute
  • The Rich Earth Institute envisions a world with clean water and fertile soil achieved by reclaiming the nutrients from our bodies as elements in a life sustaining cycle. We engage in research, education and technological innovation to advance the use of human waste as a resource.

Re: Recordings for 2020 Rich Earth Virtual Summit: Reclaiming Urine as a Resource

The recordings for our 6th annual summit are now up on our website! View the recordings from the full three days here: richearthinstitute.org/2020-virtual-summit/
*Reclaiming urine as a resource*
The following user(s) like this post: canaday
  • Chaiwe
  • Independent consultant (strategic planning, project management and M&E in WASH, climate action and, gender and HIV) and Part-time Solid Waste Management Lecturer at the University of Zambia.

Re: Recordings for 2020 Rich Earth Virtual Summit: Reclaiming Urine as a Resource

Thank you for sharing the presentation links for the '2020 Rich Earth Virtual Summit'(which focuses on reclaiming urine as a resource) this is very useful for others including myself who could not attend the virtual summit.

The summit was a great opportunity to learn about the various projects being undertaken in order to utilize urine in agricultural activities. 

One of the discussions that I found particularly interesting was urine use in Africa. With most subsistence farmers not being able to afford fertilizers, it is cost-effective to use human urine for crop production. To encourage the use of urine by local farmers in East and West Africa,  urine for farming has been branded “OGA'', a term literally meaning '' Urine is Boss' :-). I can imagine how this really helps to address issues of acceptance surrounding the use of the resource.  I wonder what efforts are being made in other regions within the African continent and what else is being done to build acceptance? I might have missed this within the recordings.

I also found it interesting how technologies such as 'The Solar Dripper' is being used as a urine fertilizer tool to put urine directly in the soil, allowing crops to grow very healthy and tastier. In addition, various waterless urinals for urine collection projects such as the MARCELLE women’s urinal project (read more about it here ) and the Container-Based Sanitation Alliance Initiatives (read more here ) are very interesting to see and are progressive initiatives towards this cause.

Regards,
Chaiwe
Co-moderator SuSanA forum
(Under consultancy contract with Skat Foundation funded by WSSCC)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

The following user(s) like this post: canaday, RichEarthInstitute
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds