Advice for Sanitation Solution - implement either small scale biogas or ecosan toilets

Page selection:
  • emmanuel

Re: Advice for Sanitation Solution

Hello,

I agree Elisabeth. I think that UD composting toilets are better in that case. Easy to reuse urine and compost directly in agriculture.
I did some analysis on 7 month compost (the toilets are in France) and the bacteriology was good enougth to be considered as a compost in the frensh norm system.
Emanuel Morin
Ecodomeo - France
www.ecodomeo.com
The following user(s) like this post: steve4real

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Steven,

Have you had a look at the available SuSanA case studies? www.susana.org/case-studies
You can sort them by country (we have quite a few from Kenya) and on technology (look for biogas or for UDDTs). You have put your query under composting systems, but have you considered UDDTs?

After you have scanned some of those case studies, maybe you could come back with some more specific questions?

If you have little money, then I would always opt for UDDTs (or for simple composting toilets like Arborloos) rather than biogas. The latter is considerably more expensive and the little bit of biogas which you will get will not make up for that additional capital cost (rule of thumb: for a school you can reduce the cooking fuel needs by approx. one third when cooking with the biogas from the school toilets).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: steve4real

• nazir

Hi

Vanguard has a documentary: Worlds Toilet Crises. I think you will find the Indonesian model interesting.

Sasha Kramer also doing some interesting work in Haiti.

Hope this will be of assistance.

Nazir.

• steve4real
    Topic Author
  • Sanitation Steve

Advice for Sanitation Solution

I'm working with a very small charity to implement either small scale biogas or ecosan toilets for an Island community in Rusinga, Kenya. They have funding to build two toilets and are interested in sanitation solutions that can provide fertilizer for their agriculture endeavours. I welcome any and all feedback or suggestions.

Cheers,

Stephen
Stephen Sauder, M.Sc., M.A., B.A
Project Manager | Reinvent the Toilet
Centre for Global Engineering, University of Toronto
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds