Contribute to the new SuSanA Factsheet on Capacity Development - final commenting round open for one week!

24.6k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Contribute to the new SuSanA Factsheet on Capacity Development - final commenting round open for one week!

Just a minor comment: I am surprised this factsheet has become so long (17 pages?). We used to have a page limit of 8 pages for the factsheets of each working group. Longer publications we used to call "thematic papers". Perhaps this has now become more like a thematic paper? It's so long that it should probably have a table of contents. And are you later going to apply the same formatting (i.e. the two columns per page). 
The 8-page page limit had the advantage that it encouraged authors to be succinct.

And just to reiterate what I said about a year ago in this thread: Please help to improve the Wikipedia article on capacity building as well. It already includes some of "our" pictures which is nice:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_building

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: depinder

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • secretariat
  • SuSanA secretariat currently allocates 2 full time person equivalents of time from members of GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Team: Arne Panesar, Alexandra Dubois, Maren Heuvels, Teresa Häberlein, Daphne Manolakos and Bettina-Sophie Heinz.

Re: Contribute to the new SuSanA Factsheet on Capacity Development - final commenting round open for one week!

Dear members, 

Time has come - we kept you waiting for a little while but now a final draft version of the new Working Group 1 - Capacity Development Factsheet is ready! Before we consider it as final, we are asking for feedback and review from you, the SuSanA Community. 

Who can review? All SuSanA members and partners who are interested in / working on capacity development.

How to review?
To make it transparent for all and easy for us to merge all feedback into one final version, please leave comments in the document below (by marking the respective text section and adding a comment through the speech bubble icon). 

Where to find the document? drive.google.com/file/d/1OPLW8Q3yOwLfxWAb_Oejlhi9xuCFMThU/view  

What is the timeframe? The final draft factsheet is open for comments and feedback until 17th February. 

Bonus work (for particularly motivated members) - we are still looking for graphics and/or images visualising some complex sections of the factsheet. If you or your organisation have suitable graphics and would provide them to the factsheet for public use, please contact the secretariat via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Kind regards, 
Franziska
Posted by a member of the SuSanA secretariat held by the GIZ Sector Program Water Policy – Innovations for Resilience
Located at Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Bonn, Germany
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/susana.org, linkedin: www.linkedin.com/company/sustainable-sanitation-alliance-susana and twitter: twitter.com/susana_org

The following user(s) like this post: depinder

• lkohler
    Topic Author
  • Senior Knowledge & Research Advisor with CAWST primarily focused on sanitation and the measurement of capacity development outputs and outcomes

Re: Contribute to the new SuSanA Factsheet on Capacity Development!

Thank you, Depinder, for your comment. Agreed! We absolutely need better representation. Your input is most welcome!

This also goes as a reminder to anyone else interested, please, respond here. We will make sure you are added to any relevant correspondence. The more input and perspectives we get the better.

Again, the aim is for this factsheet to serve as a tool to better facilitate necessary conversations among capacity developers or across other thematic sanitation disciplines. We need a tool so that we can all start from a common understanding, especially given the number of contexts and languages we bridge. And for it to represent the work being done and be useful for everyone, we need input!

Last note,  there were some issues with access to the google document, so I edited the link in the original post. The issue should be resolved. If it is not, please please let me know as soon as possible.

The new link is:  docs.google.com/document/d/1IIEchl_cCkeP..._MM/edit?usp=sharing 

Thanks!
Laura Kohler, Ph.D.
Senior Knowledge and Research Advisor, Measurement & Sanitation
Centre for Affordable Water and Sanitation Technology
B12, 6020 – 2 Street SE, Calgary Alberta, T2H 2L8, Canada
1.403.243.3285 ext. 266 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.cawst.org

• depinder
  • Depinder Kapur is currently Director Water Programme at Centre for Science and Environment, Delhi.

I wanted to be part of the WG 1 reformulation of CD work and have been requesting and inputing on this topic.
I dont see anyone in this core group from South Asia or Africa represented in this group coordinators.

Look forward to hearing.

Thanks.
Depinder
Depinder Kapur is Director Water Programme at Centre for Science and Environment. He has taight at Shiv Nadar University and has lead the Sanitation Capacity Building Platform(SCBP) of National Institute of Urban Affairs. His professional engagements have been with AKRSP(Program Officer Forestry), SPWD(Sr. Program Officer), CARE(Director NRM), Oxfam(Program & Advocacy Director), WaterAid India(Country Head) and WSSCC(National Coordinator) and as an independent consultant.

The following user(s) like this post: lkohler

• lkohler
    Topic Author
  • Senior Knowledge & Research Advisor with CAWST primarily focused on sanitation and the measurement of capacity development outputs and outcomes

Hi Elisabeth,

With everything happening with COVID-19 the factsheet updates admittedly fell off my radar and I suspect the radar of others in the working group, but that is no longer the case thanks to your post! (edit: a spin-off thread specifically about COVID-19 and remote work is now available here )

To answer your questions,

1) This is not meant to be a complete re-write of the Capacity Development factsheet, just a face lift with some simplifications. I personally would like to see capacity development better understood and accessible to both those within and outside the capacity development sphere. Often capacity development is over simplified to "trainings" or is so inclusive and complicated it becomes difficult to intentionally facilitate.

2) I encourage everyone to visit the wikipedia page on Capacity Building en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_building . It would be great if we could boost that grade to a B or A. After all, we are capacity developers. If one of the primary resources on capacity development is not easily understood, then we are not doing our job well.

WG1,

These are my questions to you:

1) What are some of your key capacity development activities?

2) What are the challenges that each of you face in describing your work or those activities? What do you communicate? And what do you feel is understood?

2) What words come to mind when you describe your work or capacity development? Maybe if we can identify the common words we use, we can brainstorm other, simpler ways of articulating the same thing for an external audience.

3) What are the top 4-5 areas (perhaps refer to the headings in the existing factsheet 2012 WG1 Factsheet ) that a person would need to know about to understand capacity development?

Please share! We will still move forward with the factsheet but progress on the document has been slow, so it makes sense to step back, discuss, and perhaps re-think what we are trying to create.

Thanks and take care,
Laura
Laura Kohler, Ph.D.
1.403.243.3285 ext. 266 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.cawst.org
The following user(s) like this post: dorothee.spuhler, musajimoh1208

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Laura and all,

This is an important initiative and I'd like to bring your post back to the top of the pile, in order to encourage more responses. Also, I have just two small questions:

1) Is it going to be a completely new factsheet or you are planning to keep it similar to the 2012 version and just update that one? (www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource.../library/details/167)

2) Could I get you interested to consider improving the Wikipedia article on capacity development while you are at it? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacity_building I always go to Wikipedia when I want to know about a concept, and like you said: "Capacity Development’ is one of those terms that can be difficult to explain in a short conversation". The article currently has a C rating (so not very good). It might be too much work to revamp the whole article but one could think about inserting a section under examples which explains what capacity development means in the WASH sector and then citing some relevant publications.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: lkohler

• lkohler
    Topic Author

Contribute to the new SuSanA Factsheet on Capacity Development!

Dear Working Group 1,

As you may be aware, ‘Capacity Development’ is one of those terms that can be difficult to explain in a short conversation and yet we know that it underpins progress towards sustainable and safely managed sanitation.

To do it well, collaboration and coordination are key. To facilitate these necessary conversations among capacity developers or across other thematic sanitation disciplines, we need a tool so that we can all start from a common understanding, especially given the number of contexts and languages we bridge.

The WG 1 Factsheet has the potential to be this tool. And for it to represent the work being done and be useful for everyone, we need your input!

Below is the factsheet outline that resulted from the WG 1 meeting in Stockholm last August:

1. What is capacity development: The different levels
2. Simplifying/demystifying the complexities of capacity development (multi-level, multi-dimensional, multi-topic)
3. (new) Capacity needs & priorities to achieve SDG 6 and other SDGs
4. Examples of capacity development activities/approaches and outcomes
5. Overview of capacity development resources for capacity developers and for outreach
6. How to engage in WG 1

To start the revision process, those that volunteered to champion the various sections drafted outlines to guide input from the larger WG 1 team. Thank you Sandra, Daniel, Fabian and Dorothee for the outlines!

Now it is your turn!

So what are we asking? Please, review the outline HERE and add comments either to the google document itself or through the forum.

We are interested in the following:
• Resources/references to consider
• Examples to include
• Content (if you have more than a few minutes to contribute, we welcome your input)
• Ideas on how to simplify and make the document more accessible to those working outside of capacity development
• Vocabulary or words that you use in your day-to-day to describe ideas or words being shared in the document
• Sections to drop/remove
• OR anything else…

To get your thoughts going, have a look at the following:

1. 2013 factsheet
2. WASH Training Resource Forum Discussion and/or
3. SuSanA Library Section on Training Material (filter by training resource)

This is an open discussion and we will be reviewing the suggestions and discussion until we close it April 10th. We will then incorporate the comments and share a complete draft for input sometime in June.

At the end of the day, our hope is that we simplify how we speak about capacity development so it is easily understood by everyone, especially to those not working in this space. For us, it makes sense that the experts—the WG 1 members—are the ones making this possible!

We look forward to hearing from each of you. In the meantime, let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!
Laura (CAWST) and Dorothee (Eawag) - WG1 leads
Daniel Ddiba (SEI), Fabian Suter (Eawag), Franziska Volk (GIZ), Sandra van Soelen (Simavi) – WG1 members
Laura Kohler, Ph.D.
www.cawst.org

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds