Research Study: Cultural Beliefs and Religion/Spirituality in Sanitation Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa

• lmmusoka
    Topic Author
  • I am a Masters of Public Health student specializing in Global Health and Environment at the University of California, Berkeley. I am currently researching the sanitation sector, focusing on Sub-Saharan Africa. My areas of focus are program evaluation, qualitative research, and the intersectionality between WASH and religion and spirituality.

Research Study: Cultural Beliefs and Religion/Spirituality in Sanitation Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa

Hello, 

My name is Lena Musoka, a second-year MPH student in Global Health and Environment at the University of California, Berkeley. I am working with Jay Graham, a faculty member at the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health. We are conducting a study to explore the role of cultural beliefs and religion/spirituality in sanitation programs within rural communities living in Sub-Saharan Africa.

(English version)
Check out the following video to learn more about this study and how you can participate!  Fill out this survey to participate:  forms.gle/eC1sKuVupmdFtm1G6

(French version)
Suivez la vidéo suivante pour en savoir plus sur comment vous pouvez participer!
Si vous souhaitez participer, remplissez ce sondage:  https://forms.gle/Ewf6ZLLSV45e13Vz7

Please help share this information with your WASH networks. 
Thank you! 
Lena Musoka 😎💩
Master of Public Health, 2021
University of California, Berkeley
lenamusoka@gmail.com|https://www.linkedin.com/in/lena-musoka/
You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • I'm passionate about SuSanA's role in the WASH sector since about 2005. I'm a freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Research Study: Cultural Beliefs and Religion/Spirituality in Sanitation Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa

Hi Lena,

Welcome to the discussion forum! You have come to the right place. :-)
To get more participation in your survey, I suggest you tell us more about the study. Perhaps you have a link to the project description?
Also, could you post the survey questions as a pdf file so that people can get an overview of the questions before deciding whether to fill in the survey or not?
Do you have any research hypotheses that you are trying to test?
Are you also looking into aspects of excreta reuse or just plain toilets? Or handwashing?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Head moderator of this Discussion Forum
(with financial support from WSSCC, now SHF)

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
Founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
  • lmmusoka
    Topic Author
  • I am a Masters of Public Health student specializing in Global Health and Environment at the University of California, Berkeley. I am currently researching the sanitation sector, focusing on Sub-Saharan Africa. My areas of focus are program evaluation, qualitative research, and the intersectionality between WASH and religion and spirituality.

Re: Research Study: Cultural Beliefs and Religion/Spirituality in Sanitation Programs in Sub-Saharan Africa

Hi Elisabeth, 

Thank you for the warm welcome and for sharing suggestions to get more participation. 🙂
I have attached the informed consent, which provides a little more information on the study. I have also attached the survey questions so people can take a look at them before deciding whether to participate or not. 

I am not trying to test any hypothesis. I am rather hoping to learn about the extent and approach that health and development organizations have taken with respect to engaging communities’ religious and spiritual beliefs and values when implementing sanitation programs. This study could be a start to investigate whether religion and spirituality play an important role in the successful implementation of sanitation programs (specifically related to cultural sensitivity and appropriateness of WASH programs and community behavior change). 

I hope this information is helpful! 

Best,
Lena 
Lena Musoka 😎💩
Master of Public Health, 2021
University of California, Berkeley
lenamusoka@gmail.com|https://www.linkedin.com/in/lena-musoka/

This message has attachments files.
Please log in or register to see it.

Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds