Design of Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant for Industrial Park in Afghanistan

Page selection:
  • Fahim1988
    Topic Author
  • I am a civil engineer by background and have more than 14 years of work experience in field of water and sanitation in urban designs with the government and international NGOs.

Re: Design of Faecal Sludge Treatment Plant for Industrial Park in Afghanistan

Dear Mr. Chris;
The big amount of lots waste is grey water, which will flow in Sewerage Network to our main treatment plant. so we will have a small amount of Black water to be carried by Vehicles.
yeah we have considered same as your suggestion, that the organic waste will be carried by small trucks to the Co-Compost site.
As I think for a perfect digestion after holding tank (Not Septic tank) , the sludge need some time to be will digested. that's why we have selected Thickener and  ASR components. 

Thanks a lot for your time.
Sincerely,

Fahim Malekzai

Senior Sanitation Manager
Capital Region Independent Development Authority
Haji Yaqoub Squar, Kabul, Afghanistan
Mobile: +93799264027

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Dear Fahim,

How is the project going?

I am sorry, but I would like to suggest that the program be reorganized from its bases, because transport of all this wastewater by truck does not seem to ecologically or economically sustainable and there is more than enough space for decentralized treatment in each of these very large lots. What would happen if the vacuum truck needs maintenance or lacks fuel? Many decentralized systems could certainly be built for the price of one vacuum truck.

More importantly, this is a great opportunity to showcase simple, inexpensive, decentralized technologies that are accessible to all Afghans who would like to apply them.

In terms of generating compost for sale, you could have a centralized composting operation with the organic solid waste from each lot, which could be transported via normal trucks and carts. You could also compost at each lot and then collect the final product for sale.

You and your team could install these technologies, maintain them, and educate the users on their proper use.

The centralized model would make more sense if there is any toxic waste produced at some of the lots.

(I had previously mentioned the possibility of implementing Imhoff Tanks. I have researched these and they seem to be losing favor internationally, although I do not really understand why. Maybe someone can fill me in.)

What do you think about my suggestions?

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• Fahim1988
    Topic Author
  • I am a civil engineer by background and have more than 14 years of work experience in field of water and sanitation in urban designs with the government and international NGOs.

Thank yo very much from your kind reply, I hope I may receive a good comments based on the design concept. 
Sincerely,

Fahim Malekzai

• Fahim1988
    Topic Author

Thank you very much for sharing the link and translate the paragraph. 
Sincerely,

Fahim Malekzai

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Fahim,
Thanks for alerting me to the fact that there was a non-English post without a translation in this thread. I have added the translation now to Danilo's post. He had written (note, the translation is done by an algorithm, so not perfect):

++++++++
Interestingly, now I see that the hydraulic safety of counting the treated water, whether black or grey water, returning to the raw water phase for drinking water treatment, following the guidelines of the international hydrological programme phase 8, is not considered, nor is the faecal sludge management plant, if there are populations in the Sierras that do not have this type of technology.
greetings
Take care of yourself
+++++++++

Our policy with other languages is that we do allow posts in other languages but we add a translation using either Google Translate or Deepl. Either the users can add the translation themselves or one of the moderators does it.

Google Translate is getting better and better. For European languages this other translation tool called Deepl has emerged recently which works really well for Spanish, French, German (and maybe some others) to English. If you want to try it out yourself, here is the link:
www.DeepL.com/Translator

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Fahim1988

• Machida

Good morning.
Please take a look at the English part alone.
I hope my experiment will be useful to you.

Mobile : +63 920 205 5200

• Fahim1988
    Topic Author

Thank you sir but could you please reply in English, 
Sincerely,

Fahim Malekzai

• Machida

The video I posted on Twitter could not be uploaded.

Watch the video of the small-scale experiment on You Tube below.

• Machida

I have a lot of respect for you and your project.

I am developing a wastewater treatment plant in Manila, Republic of the Philippines, totally on my own.

The goal is to minimize the cost of building and operating a wastewater treatment plant.

The technology for this equipment is available free of charge.

So we don't use an aeration blower. We use natural wind to aerate the treatment process. 
In the latter part of the system, we use natural stones and plant fibers for anaerobic treatment.

This facility would work around the entire globe from 30 degrees north to 30 degrees south latitude.

This facility can be built using materials available at your local hardware store.

Here are the URLs of the two English documents.

note.com/greenninja/n/ne1e6c2aa76b8

note.com/greenninja/n/ndd6b562608d4

The following is the URL of a Japanese document, which you can translate using Google Translate or other tools.
Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration
A small-scale experiment.
The cost of electricity in the Philippines is Same as in Japan.
Slightly more expensive.
The size of the Philippine economy It's about 1/10th the size of Japan.
So.
The experience of electricity costs in the Philippines are
It's 10 times that of Japan.
There.
It doesn't cost you anything in electricity.
Minimalist Sewage Purification System Under development.

note.com/notes?page=1&magazine_id=270710

note.com/greenninja/n/n380089a43550

I hope you will be interested in my development.
Attachments:

• danipa

interesante , ahora veo que no se plantea la seguridad hidrica de contabilizar la agua tratada ya sea agua negra o gris , retornando a la fase de agua cruda para potabilizar, siguiendo los lineamientos del programa hidrtologico internacional fase 8 , como tambien la planta de manejo de lodos fecales, si hay poblaciones sercanas y no cuentan con este tipo de tecnologia . dimensionarla para tratar estos lodos generados por otra poblacion.

saludes

Cuidese

++++++++++
English translation by Deepl:

Interestingly, now I see that the hydraulic safety of counting the treated water, whether black or grey water, returning to the raw water phase for drinking water treatment, following the guidelines of the international hydrological programme phase 8, is not considered, nor is the faecal sludge management plant, if there are populations in the Sierras that do not have this type of technology.
greetings
Take care of yourself

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

• canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Hi Fahim,

I hope to be able to contribute useful information to your project.

I found this article on the internet and it confirms that this is a very dry place, so this is all the more reason to not waste any water or nutrients. It also leads me to understand that most of the industries there will be processing agricultural produce, so much of the wastewater will likely have much more valuable nutrients than dangerous chemicals.
businessdna.af/barikab-agricultural-econ...vestors-and-farmers/

This is a great opportunity to showcase sustainable sanitation to all Afghans in an aspirational and structured setting.

One thing that is key is to keep different waste streams separate from the start. In particular, it would be important to keep any toxic waste out of the general wastewater. I would also like to suggest that some waste streams can be dealt with in a decentralized way in each of these  large lots. For example, greywater could go through a grease and sand trap and then be dispersed in perforated and buried hoses, 10 or 20 cm below the surface of the soil among trees. These trees would likely be very appreciated, as they would block the wind and provide shade, in addition to their fruits and other products.

I understand that the custom there may be to defecate in the squatting position and then to wash with water. I would like to suggest that elegant ArborLoos
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arborloo 
could be done with SATO squat pans

These round floors could be rolled from one hole for planting a tree to the next. A 'ring beam' can support the floor and avoid the risk of the edges of the hole caving in. The floors could be covered with ceramic tiles to make them more beautiful and easier to clean. The privacy walls could be attached or not, but must be light enough to be easily moved. Ropes and stakes can keep them from flying away in the wind. The SATO flap avoids smells or flies from getting out. A hose or a bucket could provide water for anal washing. Sinks or TippyTaps can provide for hand-washing. The industrial park could build and maintain these, in addition to training the users on their proper use.

Where does the water come from? Is there any risk of contaminating a nearby water well?

I will contact you via my wife's WhatsApp, but, as much as possible, it would be good to have the conversation here, so that more people can benefit from it and contribute to it.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

• Fahim1988
    Topic Author

Dear Mr. Canaday,

Thank you for your detail response, If you can help us with the concept with a rough review. I am sure that will be really impressive and would be much obliged. 

I am sharing the WhatsApp number with you for easy and quick question & answers session to better picturize the concept. 

+93 799 26 40 27

Thank you once again for your time,

Wish to hear from you soon, Fahim
Sincerely,

Fahim Malekzai

The following user(s) like this post: canaday

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds