Introduction of Banza Toilet - waterless toilet, mobile urine diversion toilet (Kenya)

Page selection:
  • evemackinnon7
  • I am PhD student at UCL. My research is on risk management frameworks for container based sanitation systems. I shall be exploring the key public health risks to different groups using field based case studies to pilot risk management frameworks.

Re: Introduction of Banza Toilet - waterless toilet, mobile urine diversion toilet (Kenya)

Dear Banza,

This looks great, I have similiar questions to Doreen in terms of are you already providing this service? If so to how many people?

What about hand-washing provision - is it assumed?

Do you collect both poop and urine?

Do you have a transport and collection system?

Where do you treat the waste?

I am doing my PhD research on these systems to support there scale up- especially in terms of risk reduction to users and operators by identifying potential risks.

It would be great to learn more about your operations and potentially a feedback on some research conducted so far.

Kind Regards

Eve
Water and Sanitation Consultant
Energy - Sanitation Nexus
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Doreen

Re: Introduction of Banza Toilet - waterless toilet, mobile urine diversion toilet (Kenya)

Dear Banza Team,

Thanks. I have some questions.

- How is the emptying and transportation of the waste done?

- How frequent is the collection of the waste and where is it taken to?

- Have you tested it anywhere in Kenya and if yes, where particularly and what type of setting? households? schools?

- What was the user response after testing?

- How does one purchase a Banda toilet and how much is it?

Thanks and best regards,

Doreen
Doreen Mbalo

GIZ Sustainable Sanitation Programme
Policy Advisor in Bonn, Germany
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• wwselect
  • Topic Author

Sorry the PP presentation did not get uploaded- appears file size exceeds limits. I will attempt to attach the same file as a PDF file for your viewing.

I suggest you may also wish to follow link www.facebook.com/banzasanitation/?fref=ts to the Banza facebook page where details on Banza Toilets should be available.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• wwselect
  • Topic Author

Thank you for your inquiry, Here's a brief writeup on the Banza Toilets that I hope addresses your questions (for more detail please see the attached powerpoint presentation:

Why are Banza Toilets unique?
• The Banza Toilet is a uniquely effective and affordable sanitation solution in response to the lack of adequate facilities for families in informal settlements worldwide. When produced in quantity, the toilets are affordable, functional and attractive. They are compact and foldable to optimize use where space is limited.

• The Banza System uses biodegradable bags for human waste containment and disposal. This provides a convenient hygienic means of handling human waste for both toilet users and service providers. These bags contain no plastic and, while durable, fully dissolve in water or when composted and also can be burned without harmful residues.

• Banza Toilets also provide important solutions to the sanitation needs of refugee settlements, disaster relief organizations, rural remote locations and the needs of disabled family members unable to reach public facilities.

• The Banza Sanitation System for waste collection is easily replicated in informal settlements with a minimum of infrastructure, government involvement, financing or concerns over user acceptance or environmental issues. It does not rely on public funding of services, but instead can be organized on a grass roots basis and operated on an entrepreneurial micro-economic revenue model that may be replicated worldwide.

Banza Ltd has completed its Proof of Concept project in the Mathare slum neighborhood of Nairobi for the Banza Toilets with grant funding from Grand Challenges Canada and has solutions that are ready for Transition to Scale. This project has provided the opportunity to demonstrate the innovative design and functionality of the Banza Toilet as a uniquely suited sanitation solution in response to the lack of adequate facilities for poor families worldwide. The Banza Sanitation System demonstrates technological innovations that improve health, sanitation and prevention of disease conditions. The Banza Sanitation System is a leading example of social enterprises that solve social problems and provide social benefits in a commercially sustainable way.

Banza Ltd is a Kenyan company founded by Patrick Kiruki, a Kenyan native who is an industrial designer who designed and developed the Banza Toilet together with the Banza Sanitation System.

CONTACT: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Facebook: www.facebook.com/banzasanitation

• HAPitot
  • Environmental engineer with a passion for low cost and resource recovery issues in sanitation

Hello there!

Could you tell us more about how this toilet is working. I am not seeing to much of that in the attached paper.

Thanks in anticipation,

H-A
Hanns-Andre Pitot
M.Eng. Environmental Pollution Control
presently in Seesen, Germany

• wwselect
  • Topic Author

Introduction of Banza Toilet - waterless toilet, mobile urine diversion toilet (Kenya)

Banza Sanitation recently participated in the 2015 GSC 3S Awards Forum & Awards Presentation
September 16, 2015 at the United Nations Headquarters, New York, NY as a nominee for the Community
Engagement Award. The Forum included a Panel Discussion: The Role of the Private Sector in Attaining Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The winner in this category was SOIL Haiti.

The Forum and Awards preceded the United Nations Sustainable Development Summit on 25 September 2015, where world leaders adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, which includes a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, fight inequality and injustice, and tackle climate change by 2030.

Banza Sanitation has developed the Banza Toilet which is a uniquely effective and affordable waterless toilet and sanitation solution in response to the lack of adequate facilities for families in informal settlements worldwide.
CONTACT: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Facebook: www.facebook.com/banzasanitation

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds