Functioning of Aquaprivy - The maggots problem

• muwuluke
    Topic Author

Functioning of Aquaprivy - The maggots problem

I provided aquaprivy toilets for a prominent school in Uganda specifically to handle the situation when was was not available to run the water borne flush toilets. Because these facilities were well built and looked neater than the water logged not so neat water closet rooms, the attraction was more to the new facilities.

This led to overloading of the aquaprivy system with the resultant maggots problem. Maggots became so many that the management thought that the solution was to cut off the chute pipes. Then the next problem was smell almost covering half of the school premises.

The # of stances of aquaprivy are 10 serving a student population of about 700. I am now being tasked to find a solution. Please advise

Muwuluke
Kampala Uganda
You need to login to reply
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Functioning of Aquaprivy - The maggots problem

Please introduce yourself fully?
What do you mean by Aquaprivy? Do you have photos?
What do you mean by "cutting off the chute pipes"?
70 students per toilet is quite a lot.
Have you provided waterless urinals yet?

Regards,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum
funded via SEI project until January 2019 ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
  • muwuluke
    Topic Author

Aquaprivy is a type on site toilet facility that that works on the principle of containment of excreta in a vault. The vault is actually a watertight tank which receives both the urine and faeces through a chute pipe. The chute pipe in submerged in water at least 100mm to control smell.

Further technical information on this type of facility is found in many technical manuals about sanitation systems.

About myself, I am a civil engineer with a bias in sanitation planning and specifically on-site sanitation systems.
I have keen interest in providing sustainable sanitation facilities for the poor and disadvantaged.

I look forward to further responses,

Muwuluke
  • muench
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Have you considered converting it to a dry toilet? For example into a urine diversion dehydration toielt (UDDT)? There are many of them in Uganda, also at schools.

I can't imagine that an Aquaprivy could ever be odourless (??). But then I have actually never seen one, not even photos.

Cheers,
Elisabeth

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum
funded via SEI project until January 2019 ( www.susana.org/en/resources/projects/details/127 )

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.816 seconds