Self built Clivus Multrum composting toilet (Clivus Minimus) - in tourist area, Carpathian mountains, Ukraine (now operational)

• monopopologo
  • Ecosan developer on the Colombian Caribbean coast

Re: Self built Clivus Multrum composting toilet (Clivus Minimus) - in Ukraine

Thanks for your quick reply!

I would be very interested to hear your arguments for using a batch system. I have been working with 200 liter batch systems for many years now and while I am a great fan of them, I cannot imagine a batch system that would be able to cope with the traffic you mentioned at your national park ie. 300-500 visitors per day. I have noticed when batch systems are overused, they just fill up with pooh and don't have time to compost on site. They rather have to be hauled away to compost on a remote site. But, since you're a few years of experience into a public CM system, your words carry great weight and I would really love to hear them.

(see my free batch compost toilet manual here batch composting system Colombia )

Regards,

Bjorn

I have been living off grid for the last 9 years, 4 of which without electricity and only recently we got satellite internet. I have been playing around with batch composting toilets and have developed a very well working system. The manual and building plans are distributed for free, we give also free workshops and technical assistance to communities in Colombia.

the manual you can find here: docs.google.com/document/d/1rqr1AbMgsU3v...b20/edit?usp=sharing
You need to login to reply
  • BPopov
    Topic Author
  • Ecologist involved with ecosanitation in Ukrainian Carpathians

Re: Self built Clivus Multrum composting toilet (Clivus Minimus) - in Ukraine

Hi Bjorn! I

I believe what matters is not the visitors per day but rather number of visits per year multiplies average temperature factor. It also depends very much on how many people actually defecate there apart from urinating which might be very specific to situation/. I do not have the exact numbers yet since shifted my attention now more to water based sanitation system. I think for an actively used toilet that may have say 10 000 visits per a year 1 cubic meter collecting ("composting@ chamber) is a minimum both for batch type dry toilet.

Best,
Bogdan

Bogdan Popov
The Ecosolutions Forge
www.ecoforge.org
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.733 seconds