Which composting toilet to choose - recommendations, please?

20.1k views

Page selection:
  • TeresaE

Re: Which composting toilet to choose - recommendations, please?

In case you haven't found the information you were looking for. We did a lot of research before we purchased our composting toilet. We went with the Nature's Head due to its ease of use and reviews that we saw regarding it. We used the following which helped as it outlines the pros and cons of the toilets. Composting Toilet Guide
The following user(s) like this post: cecile, indiebio

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Which composting toilet to choose - recommendations, please?

There are so many different composting toilets out there to choose from. Good to see that you can now even buy them on Amazon! I see 128 customer reviews for the Nature's Head composting toilet. That should give you some good pointers already. (I usually find such customer reviews very helpful)

If you have specific technical questions or can provide more details on the context of your question, then please feel free to come back to the forum. A general buyer's guide is probably beyond what people are able or willing to provide here on the forum.

Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: MirekuGh

• Groove
  • Topic Author

Which composting toilet to choose - recommendations, please?

Another advantage - portability.

As for thermophilic composting, it just happened. I saw the last heap reach the mid-140s (F) and I don't check it very often. An older one got over the 150-degree mark - almost combustible! I didn't 'do' anything to start this.

I have one of the Reotemp thermometers and it generally shows an in-use heap as being around the bottom end of 'steady' (80 degrees F) for quite some time. At this stage, it's absolutely writhing with worms.

TIn use, the heap is always covered with a thin layer of straw. We rake the straw to the sides and plonk the doings in the middle, put a bit of fresh straw over it. So, as the heap gets higher, you're building a 'wall' of pushed-away straw around it. This must help keep the temperature constant.

We closed a heap on St Patrick's day and the temperature is still in the low eighties. If it all goes to plan, those worms will consume what they want and migrate downwards (or sideways to the new heap) and the thermonuclear organisms will have their go. I'll try to remember to come back here and post when it goes critical. 8-)

We tried using rubbish bins with lids, with holes in the bottom but you need lots of bins, even with just the two of us, so that was a failed experiment.

I am also looking for a good composting toilet and now I'm choosing from both www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009Z7EK...m=0&tag=ventlessr-20 and Wisepick (link had to be deleted), maybe anybody used it (or something others) and can recommend?
The following user(s) like this post: TeresaE

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds