Wikipedia online edit-a-thon on climate change topics, 24 November to 1 December (by CDKN and FCFA)

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • I'm passionate about SuSanA's role in the WASH sector since about 2005. I'm a freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Wikipedia online edit-a-thon on climate change topics, 24 November to 1 December (by CDKN and FCFA)

There is an interesting Wikipedia edit-a-thon coming up that I'd like to draw your attention to. It is aimed towards Wikipedia novices and African researchers with an interest in climate change. It's organised by CDKN (Climate & Development Knowledge Network) and Future Climate for Africa (FCFA).
More information here: https://cdkn.org/2020/11/news-join-our-online-edit-a-thon-to-contribute-climate-change-information-to-wikipedia/?loclang=en_gb

Why am I telling you about this even though their topic is not on WASH? Well, it's because I think it is up to us to insert content at the intersection of climate change and WASH into the relevant Wikipedia articles. We know there are a lot of links, for example climate change causing increased flooding, extreme weather events, water scarcity and what does that mean for the design of sanitation systems. Or the potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from septic tanks or wastewater treatment plants.

Or any of the other topics that we have discussed in this sub-category: https://forum.susana.org/195-climate-change-and-sanitation

It could be as simple as inserting the publications that people have discussed in this sub-category as references in the appropriate places in Wikipedia articles.

Further benefits of SuSanA members joining this online edit-a-thon include:
- We can see how they engage African researches in knowledge sharing
- You can improve your Wikipedia editing skills
- You can learn more about WASH and climate change and how they are interlinked
- Even if you just edit a little (like one hour) it will help them with their outputs.

There will be certificates for participation, and prizes for the most engaged volunteers. A total of 10 participants will receive a prize of USD 50 in vouchers of their choice.

More information here: https://cdkn.org/2020/11/news-join-our-online-edit-a-thon-to-contribute-climate-change-information-to-wikipedia/?loclang=en_gb

Sign-up sheet here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSecRvpnnpsJbSl4htub4ZpkpKew-ArgcgGNFzo2XdV-PsZFOg/viewform?usp=sf_link

I'll be participating!

Elisabeth
Head moderator of this Discussion Forum
(under consultancy contract with Skat Foundation funded by WSSCC)

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
Founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • I'm passionate about SuSanA's role in the WASH sector since about 2005. I'm a freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Wikipedia online edit-a-thon on climate change topics, 24 November to 1 December (by CDKN and FCFA)

For anyone contemplating doing some Wikipedia editing (like Hajo here about vermitechnology), I want to point out this well-written and comprehensive guide about Wikipedia editing:

Baker, E., McNamara, L., Mackay, B., and Vincent, K. (2020). How to contribute climate change information to Wikipedia - A guide for researchers, practitioners and communicators. Cape Town: Climate and Development Knowledge Network and Future Climate for Africa.
https://www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resources-and-publications/library/details/3935 

It's pretty big (60 pages) but you don't need to read it from cover to cover but just jump straight to the section that interests you, for example "Chapter 4: How to edit Wikipedia".

Enjoy,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
  • Chaiwe
  • Independent consultant (strategic planning, project management and M&E in WASH, climate action and, gender and HIV) and Part-time Solid Waste Management Lecturer at the University of Zambia.

Re: Wikipedia online edit-a-thon on climate change topics, 24 November to 1 December (by CDKN and FCFA)

Dear Elisabeth,

I just had a look at my calendar and noticed that we are now on day 2 of the edit-a-thon. How is it going so far? I am signing up currently and looking at contributing some experiences from the African continent. 

I especially appreciate the SuSanA links that you have shared showing the discussions that have been had here with respect to the linkages between climate change and the sanitation sector, I believe this is an upcoming focus more broadly for the WASH sector, for example, the Stockholm World Water Week this year carried the theme: “Water and Climate Change: Accelerating Action”.

I wonder if some of our users from the Wacclim project are aware and have signed up? 

Chaiwe
Co-moderator SuSanA forum
(Under consultancy contract with Skat Foundation funded by WSSCC)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author

Hi Chaiwe,

Thanks for asking and for joining the event which is continuing through to 1 December. It's going well so far! We are using Slack and daily live sessions on Zoom to interact with the participants and to train them in Wikipedia editing. We have about 100 people signed up and editing so far.

We have pre-selected about 80 Wikipedia articles from the climate change field that we want to work on collaboratively. Some of them also deal with water, sanitation, energy, agriculture issues, see here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Online_edit-a-thon_on_climate_change_-_November_2020#Articles_to_work_on

Apart from you and Arno, I haven't seen any familiar names from the sanitation sector at the event which is a pity. Arno pointed out that the Wikipedia article on disaster risk reduction is of high relevance to climate change folks and also the sanitation folks. 

Here is a 7-minute segment that I did during the opening webinar on Tuesday to explain to people how they can get started with this edit-a-thon and with Wikipedia editing:

This is also a great one by Phoebe about why and how to edit Wikipedia for climate change topics (30 minutes long):

Enjoy! And it's not yet too late to join in the event between now and 1 December, and pick up the new skill of Wikipedia editing!
All the information is here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/Online_edit-a-thon_on_climate_change_-_November_2020 

Regards,
Elisabeth

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds