Surveys on Regulation of emptying and transport services for faecal sludge (pits and septic tanks)

11.4k views

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Regulation of emptying and transport services for faecal sludge (pits and septic tanks)

Hi Alix,

It's always great to see PhD students utilise this discussion forum for their data gathering and I hope you get many useful replies to your surveys!

You've probably already browsed the related sub-category as it has also included information on emptying services and on regulation:
Faecal sludge transport (including emptying of pits and septic tanks, transfer stations)

For example, this thread by Nicola from two years ago might be related:
Number of vacuum trucks and pit latrine emptiers in Africa - CROWDSOURCING INFORMATION PLEASE

Perhaps you could list the main documents of regulatory practices that you have already found so that people don't send you stuff that you already have (e.g. there are quite a few from India in the SuSanA library).

I noticed that two years ago you had posted regular updates on the SFD Promotion Initiative in this thread: 
SFD Promotion Initiative (SFD PI) - Project Updates (Shit Flow Diagrams)  . I see that that project has ended but am wondering if it is related to your PhD project now? If your PhD project perhaps a spin-off or continuation of that previous work on SFDs?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: Regulation of emptying and transport services for faecal sludge (pits and septic tanks)

Hi Alix.
C-WAS team at CEPT has worked on two small towns in Maharashtra, India. A paper based on their experience was posted by Dinesh in this thread

Besides, there have been efforts to regulate emptying in Bhubaneswar, Odisha. Their Gazette notification is available here

Hope this helps

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• Alix
    Topic Author
  • PhD student in Urban Sanitation Looking at regulation of emptying and transport services for faecal sludge in LMIC

Regulation of emptying and transport services for faecal sludge (pits and septic tanks)

Dear all,

I am doing a PhD at WEDC on regulation of emptying and transport services for faecal sludge in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs).

I am currently compiling an inventory of regulation practices in cities in LMICs. I’m aware that not all initiatives have been documented or widely shared, so if you know of any interesting case, please answer this short survey and share any relevant documents or links.
lboro.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/inventory-of-r...or-emptying-services

Answers to this survey, along with some online interviews and a document review, should provide a good snapshot of regulatory practices around the world.
Of course, once I have analysed the results, I will share my findings. They should be useful to national and local governments, regulators and development partners.

I am also running a questionnaire for emptying operators in Africa. If you know any emptier, please let me know or send them the following link: I'd be happy to answer any question or comment in this thread or via email.

Looking forward to your answers,

Alix 
Alix Lerebours
Doctoral researcher
WEDC
Loughborough University, UK
The following user(s) like this post: paresh, NWellington, RebeccaScott, Chaiwe

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds