Please help me with a global survey: how common are squatting toilets in your country?

• muench
    Topic Author
  • Moderator of this Forum; Freelance consultant and Wikipedian (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Please help me with a global survey: how common are squatting toilets in your country?

Interesting toilet model and thanks for pointing out its advantages. So maybe we should move to lower sitting toilets lower than the current standard, which then allow for hovering (in public toilets)? What is the current standard toilet height? I did a quick google search and a page came up that said:

Today's so-called "comfort height" or "right height" toilets feature bowls that are 17 to 19 inches (43 to 48 cm) high, as compared to the standard 15 inches (38 cm) of a regular toilet. The higher bowl height can be good for the knees and back and can offer real advantages to taller folks, the elderly and people with mobility problems.

www.thespruce.com/dont-buy-the-wrong-toilet-327008

So it's saying that a higher toilet is better for the elderly. Hmmmm....

Community manager and chief moderator of this forum
(Funded via GIZ short term consultancy contract)

Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Brisbane, Australia
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @EvMuench
Sanitation Wikipedia project leader: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
You need to login to reply
  • BPopov
  • Ecologist involved with ecosanitation in Ukrainian Carpathians

Re: Please help me with a global survey: how common are squatting toilets in your country?

I used to be a big fan of squatting toilets but now after the accident and resulting disability I think that sitting bowl is a great civilization improvement

Bogdan Popov
The Ecosolutions Forge
www.ecoforge.org
  • zigazie
  • Holder of a Bsc in health promotion, Masters in public health- health promotion and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Scholar studying Msc in sanitation at IHE Delft Netherlands till April 2019

I come from Zimbabwe and most rural areas depend on Ventilated Improved Pit latrines which are basically squat toilets. Also old locations and public toilets in urban areas have squat flush toilets. Personaly i advocate for toilet seats for household toilets however for public toilets i advocate for squat flush toilets because they are easy to clean and use. I have seen that people will still squat on the chamber because it will be dirty and cant sit on it on most public toilets

Ziggy Kugedera is a Holder of a Bsc in health pr4omotion, Masters in public health- health promotion and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Scholar studying Msc in sanitation at IHE Delft Netherlands till April 2019. Have 14 years experience in SBC, WASH and Public Health
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.451 seconds