Looking for Water usage of different sanitation systems/models in the value chain.

Page selection:
  • Chaiwe
  • Innovation enthusiast and Knowledge Management Expert in WASH and Climate Change while cross-cutting Youth and Gender Issues. CEO of CaDev_Capacity Development (An African Social Enterprise)

Re: Looking for Water usage of different sanitation systems/models in the value chain.

Dear Daniel,

Very insightful resource shared there. Thank you for pointing it out.

Dear Irfan,

Even with the resource shared by Daniel, I would think there is so much variation with respect to water usage of different sanitation systems/models in the value chain based on  a number of confounding factors including among others: 
-Context and culture (Washers/ Wipers)
-Water availability
-Technology design etc.

However, I am curious to find out whether you stumbled upon more information and resources, in which case I would be happy if you could share your findings here.

Kind Regards,
Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
Skat Foundation (With financial support by GIZ and SIRWASH up to November 2023)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Re: Looking for Water usage of different sanitation systems/models in the value chain.

Hi Irfan,
First of all, welcome to the SuSanA Forum!

With regards to your question about the water usage of various sanitation technologies, you may benefit from the work of Dorothee Spuhler. She developed a tool for sanitation planning and the tool includes a library of various sanitation technologies and their attributes, one of which is water usage.

Look at her recent publications (2018 to date) and the associated data packages here www.eawag.ch/en/aboutus/portrait/organis...rothee-spuhler/show/ 

Her work has also been discussed here on the forum and you can get in touch with her and find out more forum.susana.org/278-cities-sanitation-p...ning-feedback-please

Kind regards,
Daniel
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba
The following user(s) like this post: Chaiwe

• IrfanUllaShariff
  • Topic Author

Looking for Water usage of different sanitation systems/models in the value chain.

Hello everyone, I hope you are all fine during this pandemic.

I am an MSc student at Cranfield University currently working on my thesis project, "Measuring the Benefits of Sustainable Global Sanitation". My supervisors are Alison Parker and Kristell le Corre Pidou. This project aims to estimate Circular Economic Sanitation's global benefits, focusing on understanding the carbon and water footprints of different sanitation systems. I have found literature on carbon emissions of onsite sanitation systems (limited) and working on it. However, regarding the water usage of different sanitation systems/models in the value chain (example: CBS, Pit latrines, septic tanks, UDDT toilets, washing of vacuum truck after transporting faecal sludge), I have not been able to find anything. If any of you could provide any water usage data from systems you are familiar with, it would be very helpful. I am happy to arrange a call to explain my request in more detail if it would help.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.114 seconds