Toilet revolution in China - publications and updates

15.7k views

Page selection:
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: Toilet Revolution published in China

Dear Members.

We feel very good that Toilets and Sanitation is being taken up on Revol -ution mode.

Earlier the prpopagation was on Mission mode with objectives and targets realised upon implementation.

Linking Toilets with Clivus-multrum is also beneficial as the sludges get converted into usable resources viz. compost and then manure.

These strategies are very rewarding as in a way the food consumed gets returned to its origin, completing the eco-loop.

We would like to know about the actual process and what challenges the communities faced in executing the practices.

Well wishes,
Ajit Seshadri
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Dear Daniel,

Heinz-Peter Mang is my colleague in China, he is too busy and has no time to be in this forum.

I am happy to be the bridge. Scott Chen is also a friend of ours to promote sanitation in China.

Kind regards

Shikun CHENG
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• scottchen
    Topic Author
  • trying to set up the most profitable Ecosan project for the world

Hi, Nazim :

Thank you very much for comments on this post.

I have read the article wrote by you, Zhang Jian, Zifu lee and Cheng shikun.... it is a good essay but a mistake about who invented the term, toilet revolution, in China.

FIY. Professor Zhu Jia Ming wrote a book , China needs a Toilet Revolution, in 1988. You can not imagine that Professor Zhu even installed one Clivus Multrum toilet, in a garden in Beijing during 1986-1987.

best wishes

Scott

The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972
Attachments:

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Hi, Arno:
Sorry for my late thanks to you for writing the article. It is a pity that the editor deleted the words and the funny picture about our president.

Anyway, this book has brought me some good reputation.

On Oct 10th, our Agriculture Ministry invited me to make a speech about my apples and urine business to over 400 agricultural officials from 29 provinces.

This is the 1st time that our government takes me as an toilet expert ! 99% toilet experts are promoting the conventional wastewater treatment system in China. I am one of the few who is advocating Ecosan toilets in China, quite alone actually.

Thank you very much for giving me confidence on Ecosan.

Looking forward to meeting you China soon.

best wishes

Scott
The general manager of SHEN ZHEN BLUE WATERS AND GREEN MOUNTAINS LTD , the sole importer of Separett AB waterless toilets in China.
Chen Xiang Yang, an apple dealer,is growing apples and cherries with the human waste collected from 31 school UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation, based in Tianshui City, Gansu Province , China. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., tel:0086 151 9380 3972

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear Nazim.
Giving appreciation to you for your association with a large community of settlers - Rohinkya at country.
How have you planned defecation and its clearance methods, pl advise.
Is it done as OD or in toilets.
Well wishes.
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• nazimuddin

Hello Arno,

Thank for your response. It has been long to talk and see you after World Water Week 2013. Currently, I am busy with teaching at the Asian University for Women in Bangladesh. I have developed three new courses on Global WASH, Urban WASH, and Environmental Health for undergraduate students. We have students from 17 countries in Asian and Middle East.

I am also involved in several international projects in America, Europe, Asian and Africa on waste and water hazards and governance. Recently, I have started a collaborative research with the University of Victoria, Canada on the water and waste hazards in the Rohingya Refugee Camps here in Bangladesh. You may be aware of the recent influx of over 700,000 Rohingya Refugees from Myanmar.

I am looking for more collaborative research projects in Asia.
Thanks a lot.

Best regards
Nazim
Sayed Mohammad Nazim Uddin, PhD
Visiting Research Associate & Sessional Lecturer
Community-based Research Laboratory (CBRLab)
Department of Geography, University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, Canada
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Assistant Professor, Environmental Sciences
Asian University for Women
20/A, M M Ali Road, Chittagong, Bangladesh
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.auw.edu.bd

• arno
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Thanks Nazim.
Have seen this good paper.

You seem to get around a lot - Bangladesh, China and now Victoria, BC.
Do let us know what you are busy with.

Regards
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org

• nazimuddin

Hello,

We have published one paper last year on 'Toilet revolution in China'. I am attaching the article for your information.
Thanks a lot.

Best regards
Nazim

Assistant Professor in Environmental Science
Chittagong, Bangladesh
Sayed Mohammad Nazim Uddin, PhD
Visiting Research Associate & Sessional Lecturer
Community-based Research Laboratory (CBRLab)
Department of Geography, University of Victoria
Victoria, BC, Canada
Assistant Professor, Environmental Sciences
20/A, M M Ali Road, Chittagong, Bangladesh
www.auw.edu.bd

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• arno
  • Senior Research Fellow Stockholm Environment Institute

Here attached
This attachment is hidden for guests.

is the final edit in English of the chapter I wrote in the book "Toilet Revolution"

China’s Sanitation Challenge – Taking a Broader Systems View
Arno Rosemarin, Stockholm Environment Institute

In: Liu Zhiming and Wang Yanqing. (Chen Xiaojing ed.) 2018. Toilet Revolution. China Social Sciences Press. Social Science Academy of China. ISBN 978-7-5203-2646-9. 183p.

www.csspw.cn/booksdetail_15923_2074662_0.jhtml

Regards
Arno Rosemarin PhD
Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org
www.ecosanres.org

This message has an attachment file.

• scottchen
    Topic Author

Depinder
Not so many centralized sanitation system in China.

can show you my pratice in Tian Shui growing apples with urine collected from the UDDTs donated by SOHO China Foundation.

Prefessor Zifulee did wrote an article , China Toilet Revolution in English. I hope you can find it with Google.

About your visit to China, who will come and for what purpose. I can organize your visit to some places or organizations .
best wishes
Scott Chen
The following user(s) like this post: depinder

• ddiba
  • Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute and Co-lead of SuSanA WG5

Hi Depinder,
I think that Heinz Peter Mang could be a good contact to get connections to other actors in the urban sanitation space in China.
He works at the School of Energy and Environmental Engineering, University of Science and Technology Beijing.
I am not sure if he is on the SuSanA forum though.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Ddiba
Co-lead for SuSanA WG5: Productive sanitation and food security
Research Associate at Stockholm Environment Institute
www.sei.org/revamp
LinkedIn: Daniel Ddiba
Twitter: @DanielDdiba
The following user(s) like this post: depinder

• depinder
  • Depinder Kapur is currently Director Water Programme at Centre for Science and Environment, Delhi.

Thanks Scott.

Who can share more information on the sanitation systems of China ? Is there an article in English on the extent of centralised and deecntralised sanitation systems/access for urban and rural areas of China?

And who can we reach out to if we visit?

Depinder
Depinder Kapur is Director Water Programme at Centre for Science and Environment. He has taight at Shiv Nadar University and has lead the Sanitation Capacity Building Platform(SCBP) of National Institute of Urban Affairs. His professional engagements have been with AKRSP(Program Officer Forestry), SPWD(Sr. Program Officer), CARE(Director NRM), Oxfam(Program & Advocacy Director), WaterAid India(Country Head) and WSSCC(National Coordinator) and as an independent consultant.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.149 seconds