Evidence that wastewater based epidemiology (WBE) provides early warning for COVID-19

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Evidence that wastewater based epidemiology (WBE) provides early warning for COVID-19

Thanks for posting this. I saw this graph first on Twitter and found the discussion that took place under the tweet by Brennan Spiegel very interesting. See here:
Invalid consumer key/secret in configuration

One of the people commented what I also would have said (well not in the same words):
Nathaniel Krefman
@NateKrefman
Replying to @BrennanSpiegel
and @Yale

"the authors leaned very heavily on an extremely smoothened viral RNA curve to get a correlation that looks near perfect. R-squared is 0.97? Give me a break! What’s R-squared when you plot the unsmoothened data in 2A?"
"Where’s the data for literally *any other* municipality that demonstrates that this correlation (in very noisy data) is reproducible?"

Another said:
oscar pazos
@opr_tw
@PCMagalhaes
and @Yale

Yes it is amazing, but this graph is more accurate to real forecastibility..

Another said:

Timothy Hochberg
@TimHochberg
and @Yale

This paper is very cool, but the graphs are LOWESS smoothed, which is a non-causal filter, and the daily data is quite noisy. So, it's unclear how well this could be used predict outbreaks in advance. It would be interesting to see this same data analyzed with causality in mind.

Anyway, that twitter thread is very interesting, I recommend reading it.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Evidence that wastewater based epidemiology (WBE) provides early warning for COVID-19

Dear all,
Sharing link to pre-print of a paper  that provides evidence that WBE provides an early warning by upto a week (see graph below)

Title: SARS-CoV-2 RNA concentrations in primary municipal sewage sludge as a leading indicator of COVID-19 outbreak dynamics
Authors: Jordan Peccia et al.

Abstract:
We report a time course of SARS-CoV-2 RNA concentrations in primary sewage sludge duringthe Spring COVID-19 outbreak in a north eastern U.S. metropolitan area. SARS-CoV-2 RNA was detected in all environmental samples and, when adjusted for the time lag, the virus RNA concentrations were highly correlated with the COVID-19 epidemiological curve (R2 =0.99) and  local hospital admissions (R2 =0.99).  SARS-CoV-2 RNA concentrations were a seven-day leading indicator ahead of compiled COVID-19 testing data and led local hospital admissions data by three days. Decisions to implement or relax public health measures and restrictions require timely information on outbreak dynamics in a community.

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds