Partners wanted for Ghana - toilets at LEKMA Metropolitan Assembly (Ghana)

14.7k views

Page selection:
  • former member

Re: Partners wanted for Ghana

We do not have a MAKER in Malaysia; if you have connections to a local artesan (typically a mason), we can arrange for training. Contact me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name smecca who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • denniskl
  • Working on creating shared solutions for common problems

Steve is there an online list of gsap microflush makers?

Am in malaysia
Creator of the RealChange Global Impact Fund and MCM GREENMAN GROUP

Solving housing quality , power reliability, water supply and sanitation management in developing countries with private sector impact investors money

Philosophy

* See a problem.
* Make sure it's the real problem (by talking to the people with the problem).
* Find people who are solving this problem somewhere in the world and collaborate - and learn from them to solve the problem
OR
* Create a new solution where none exists
* Find passionate people who care about the problem to help implement solutions

Our solution approach - what's yours?

Dennis McMahon
From Australia; based in Malaysia
www.mcmgreenmangroup.com (R & D and project implementation)

www.RealChangeImpact.com

Funding from the private sector, giving market level returns

• former member

We continue to train GSAP Microflush toilet MAKERs around the world. I had a look at your website and note your mobile number in Ghana. I will have one of our toilet MAKERs in Ghana contact you there so that you can see one of our systems and r project in more detail.

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name smecca who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Kobina from Solid Rock Association,

I am sure Steve will reply soon on this, but in the meantime, have a look at this thread where we discussed his toilet design (the Biofil toilet) in the past (2 pages of discussions):
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/106-us...roject-usa-and-ghana

At some point during the process they recieved a small amount of funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• solidrock4
    Topic Author

Thank you,

kindly provide me the contacts for this maker. Do you still provide training in making the toilet facility.

• denniskl

Guys from solidrock, please accept my apologies but I have to admit, I am struggling to get my head around 1,000 sterling per toilet.

Both from the initial capex and ongoing opex - and the resultant roi from your revenue projections - it just seems like the numbers are out of proportion for the result

GBP50,000 = 250,000 GHS (I understand that GHC is obsolete?)

average Ghanian annual salary GHS29,669.16 / $10,483.80 en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Ghana

From solidrock, the numbers (my comments in brackets after):

* GBP25000 / GHS125,000 goes into building the toilet facility with 20 seats (seems could be done much cheaper to me)

* GBP15000 / GHS75,000 goes into community sanitation education activities for one year (3 local people full time?)

* GBP10000 / GHS50,000 goes into developing organisational capacity. (2 local people full time?)

Again, I may be missing something fundamental here (and I will happily accept that if pointed out), but if it was me being asked for the funding, I would be asking for a redraft of the project plan and a reconsideration of the funding levels.

Solving housing quality , power reliability, water supply and sanitation management in developing countries with private sector impact investors money

Philosophy

* See a problem.
* Find people who are solving this problem somewhere in the world and collaborate - and learn from them to solve the problem
OR

Dennis McMahon

www.RealChangeImpact.com

• solidrock4
    Topic Author

Thank you

1. We are currently using biodigesters and hope to maintain

also remember that the cost includes workmanship

• denniskl

What sort of toilets and systems ate you using?

And it works out to a little over 1,000 sterling each toilet correct?

Philosophy

* See a problem.
OR

Dennis McMahon

www.RealChangeImpact.com

• solidrock4
    Topic Author

Thank you, the Tbanks refers to the number of unit seats or the number toilet rooms.
We are targeting at lest 450 people using the facility every day meaning that at least 22 people would use one toilet seat.

revenues from the daily usage would amount to
daily 20GP *450
90GHC
Weekly 90 * 7 days
630GHC
Monthly 630* 4 weeks
2520 GHC
yearly 2520 *12 Months
30240 GHC

30240 GHC
6066.7 Pound sterling

25000 pounds goes into building the toilet facility with 20 seats
15000 goes into community sanitation education activities for one year
10000 goes into developing organisational capacity.

• denniskl

Thank you, sounds like improvements definitely needed

Can you advise what type of toilets the Tbanks are?

I see they will require no waste removal; also i need to read more closely but is the 50k sterling the cost of the additional Tbanks and other work?

Perhaps you could provide a little more detail on the numbers (costs and revenues) and the business model?

Philosophy

* See a problem.
OR

Dennis McMahon

www.RealChangeImpact.com

• solidrock4
    Topic Author

Hello Denniskl

Thank you

Solid Rock Association is seeking partnership to help solve the current toilet system in the LEKMA community which collects waste into septic tanks, and are occasionally pumped out and the waste is discarded off-site. Most of the waste is brought to illegal dumping sites to be discarded, usually into the ocean, leading to further risk of contamination of the water.

Currently, the Solid Rock Association has installed two toilet banks at a space provided and in collaboration with the LEKMA Metropolitan Assembly newly in operation. But due to popular demand, and the magnitude of the sanitation issue in the communities; more Tbanks are needed to be installed. Hence, the Funds will be used to install 20 more toilet systems of which will be used by all.

Also part of the money will be used to fence, floor & wall tile the facility in terms of partly ensuring security and protection. These toilet units do not use a septic tank and requires
The established banks do not only reduce operating costs by eliminating fees paid to pump-truck operators, it is also environmentally friendly and highly sanitary. If used correctly, the system requires little maintenance at all.

This space is used as a temporary lorry park and has no public toilet facility. Installation and commencement of usage by community is expected within a month. It is worthwhile to mention that the main target group for this project are the local community women, drivers and passengers, children, squatters, poverty stricken and the deprived.

Goal: This concept proposes to install four (20) toilet banks at a community space behind LEKMA Hospital which will say no to defecation around in the LEKMA community.
(b) Objectives to achieve goal:
• To increase sanitation whose absence has plagued a lot of children into poor health conditions
• The project could serve to prevent open defecation in the community
• To reduce the rampant incidence of disease locally known as white contracted among women from the latrine toilet currently in existence through information dissemination

Explanation on sustainability of the project

The purpose of the sanitation project for partnership, is to use income generated from investment to setup a small micro-finance fund for local community women to benefit. This is the project’s sustainability plan over time. Very moderate fees will be charged from users of the toilet facility.

As far as this project is concern, 450 people are expected to benefit on a daily basis. The Ledzokuku Krowor Municipality has committed itself to a partnership with the community has offered the lands needed for the project as a collaborator. As already mentioned, these 450 users will pay 600 GHC per week to use the system. Using this method and assuming minimized profit margin, a micro-finance grant will be setup out of this profit, for local women to benefit as already mentioned. Here sustainability of the project, environmental sanitation management and supporting women can be called justified.

50,000 Pounds sterling

• denniskl

Hello Kobina

Do you have a partnering or engagement brief you can share? Is it a provider fo full solutions or technology / systems (ie toilet types) or consulktant expertise or any of these things?

Brief should include things like:
  • Locations
  • Total Population in need
  • Number of communities
  • Objectives of programme
  • Current status
  • and more

I previously prepared a questionnaire on sanitation for another project

(see the Susana posting here

forum.susana.org/forum/categories?func=v...&id=11665&limit=1000

and the questionnaire here

docs.google.com/forms/d/1kuxJAjz4ryRjg9X...43flEQ1e0HLEcNA/edit) in case it helps

It's for a specific community, and your need may be country wide, but at the end of the day, each community will have different needs so this exercise is useful

Kobina, please advise where and how you need help, many Susana community members would love to be involved I know

Philosophy

* See a problem.
OR

Dennis McMahon

www.RealChangeImpact.com

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds