Which toilet types are promoted in India under Clean India Mission (SBM)?

16.8k views

Page selection:
  • DavidAlan
  • David Crosweller

Re: Which toilet types are promoted in India under Clean India Mission (SBM)?

With respect to your item 2, last year the Indian Government came out with a water report that stated currently 600 million Indians are suffering from some form of water stress. By 2030 they are predicting that millions of Indians will be without water, period.

Here is the report: niti.gov.in/writereaddata/files/document...t_vS8-compressed.pdf

With few piped systems working as efficiently as hoped, it means that pour/flush toilets are having an increased work load on, particularly, women and girls, as they have to collect the water from communal standpipes. During summer droughts this means there is often no water to use in the toilets and this causes some to return to OD. With 92 million new toilets constructed, and assuming that the average usage is four persons and they use a minimum of 500 ml to flush, that is an extra 184 million litres of water needed daily. More consideration should have been given to dry toilets.

Forgive me, those that know me are aware that this is a thorny issue for me!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • joshiss

I do not believe there is any type specifically promoted.

1. Mostly after a lot of deliberation, most of the NGO and social sector organisations recommend the twin pit toilets
2. Dry type no flush toilets etc are not much actively promoted as local woater sources are good most of the places
3. the biodigester type toilets are also popular in hilly areas but the maintenance in terms of dosing of bacteria etc is not well managed.

If you can elaborate on "type" of the toilet I can help with more local user research

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Shikun,

Actually this book might help with your question about which toilet types are promoted in India under Clean India Mission (SBM):

Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Government of India (2015). Technological Options for Solid and Liquid Waste Management in Rural Areas - Swachh Bharat Mission (GRAMIN). Government of India
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/2322

Does it?
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

I hope our Indian colleagues will jump into this discussion thread as it should be easy to answer for anyone involved in the SBM.

The Clean India Drive is split up into rural and urban. I am guessing for the rural part it's twin pit pour flush pit latrines. For the urban part my guess is: flush toilets connected to septic tanks plus fecal sludge treatment plants or sewers and wastewater treatment plants. Am I right?

We have some documents about the SMB in the SuSanA library. I put "swachh" into the search field and found these 29:
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...title=&author=&year=

For example this one looks promising:
Jacob, N., Saxena, S., Shahpuri, A., Nath, V. (2017). Swachh Bharat: Vision to Mission. India Sanitation Coalition and Sustainable Sanitation Alliance
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...library/details/2777

I hope this helps to prompt further replies in this thread!

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. I still have this dream to get a better Wikipedia article about SBM. So far it looks like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swachh_Bharat_mission
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• csk
    Topic Author
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Which toilet types are promoted in India under Clean India Mission (SBM)?

I know that 111 million toilets would be constructed during the five-year "Clean India" campaign, but what type of toilets are these toilets? For instance, six types of sanitary toilets are promoted in rural China, how about India?

Is there anyone who can answer me?

Thanks in advance.

Shikun CHENG, Ph. D
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds