Updates on Swachh Bharat Mission, SBM (India)

• nityajacob
  • Water Policy Analyst and Author; Moderator of the SuSanA India Chapter; WASH Lead at Swasti

Re: Updates on Swachh Bharat Mission, SBM (India)

Hi Elisabeth,

This is the official dashboard - 
http://sbm.gov.in/SBMReport/Home.aspx
However, WaterAid did a study in 2016 where the results were markedly different, even though it was much earlier in the programme. RICE did a survey in 2018 (survey attached here).
In January or February, the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation's National Statistical Organisation released another report. It is available here:  http://mospi.nic.in/sites/default/files/publication_reports/Report_584_final_0.pdf
Quoting: About 71.3 percent of the households in the rural areas and about 96.2 percent of the households in the urban areas had access to latrine. It may be noted that there may be respondent bias in the reporting of access to latrine as question on benefits received by the households from government schemes was asked prior to the question on access of households to latrine. The link is here . (if this doesnt work please email me.)

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This attachment is hidden for guests.

I wrote about this last year. Also attached.
Hope this helps. In the statistical jugglery, one thing stands out. In the SBM dashboard, 100% coverage is qualified to mean self-declared coverage, not verified. Nothing else has moved on that front. Earlier, the dashboard (link above) marked in green states that had 90% coverage, now it is 70%.
Hope this helps. Took me a while to assemble all this.
Regards
Nitya

This message has attachments files.

The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth
You need to login to reply
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: Updates on Swachh Bharat Mission, SBM (India)

Dear All,
The Ministry of Jal Shakti today released operational guidelines for next phase of SBM Grameen (for rural areas). They can be found here .

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
with financial support from WSSCC (now SHF)
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds