Journal article: Acknowledging and Learning from Different Types of Failure

• awebbslh
    Topic Author
  • Communications and Impact Officer at the Sanitation Learning Hub

Journal article: Acknowledging and Learning from Different Types of Failure

Hi everyone, 

As part of the "Learning from Failure in Environmental and Public Health Research Perspective" work with Environmental Health Insights and the WASH Failures team, Jamie Myers and Naomi Vernon have written an article on addressing different types of failure. 

They discuss the need to acknowledge all types of failure, including mistakes that were avoidable and controllable, and not just talking about failures that are external, uncontrollable and unpreventable. 

They propose that Rapid Action Learning ( link to resource ) could help address failures in a timely manner. 

We are interested in hearing what you think!

Please do read the article and let us know if you have any comments.

Thanks,

Alice
Alice Webb
Communications and Impact Officer
The Sanitation Learning Hub at the Institute of Development Studies
You need to login to reply
  • Chaiwe
  • Independent consultant (strategic planning, project management and M&E in WASH, climate action and, gender and HIV) and Part-time Solid Waste Management Lecturer at the University of Zambia.

Re: Journal article: Acknowledging and Learning from Different Types of Failure

Dear Alice,

I find this topic interesting particularly because admittedly failures do happen a lot in the WASH intervention space, however, this is very difficult for practitioners to acknowledge in some cases.

Allow me to point out some other discussions that have taken place progressively here on the forum on this interesting subject. Some dating as far back as 2011. 

''Learning from Failures: Water Currents issue .'' https://forum.susana.org/learning-from-failures/23219-learning-from-failures-water-currents-issue#27345  
''Learning from failure.''  https://forum.susana.org/178-resilience-issues-in-connection-with-climate-change-flooding-risk-reduction/7418-filmed-presentations-from-seminar-on-learning-from-wash-systems-failures-resilient-risk-reduction-now-available.

I plan to take a closer look at the article shared and will be happy to share my added thoughts.

Chaiwe
SuSanA Forum Moderator
(With financial support by GIZ from June to October 2021)

Chaiwe Mushauko-Sanderse BSc. NRM, MPH
Independent consultant located in Lusaka, Zambia
Emails: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/chaiwe-mushauko-sanderse-21709129/
Twitter: @ChaiweSanderse

You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds