General Data Protection Regulation (EU regulation) - what does it mean for SuSanA?

Page selection:
  • FranziskaVolk
  • I am striving for a world where we are linked, and not ranked.

Re: General Data Protection Regulation

Dear SuSanA Members,

I would like to bring your attention once more to the new SuSanA data policy - and to your consent to it.

If you haven't done it yet, you can accept the new data policy under "Change your details" when you are logged in. We may not be able to send you WG updates, Forum digests, Regional Chapter updates and newsletter if you have not ticked the box "I agree to the SuSanA data policy" in the future.

Best regards,
Franziska

On behalf of the SuSanA Secretariat
I moved from the SuSanA Secretariat to the
Global Water Operators’ Partnerships Alliance (GWOPA) at UN-Habitat- visit at gwopa.org/ and follow @gwopa

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • F H Mughal
    Topic Author
  • Senior Water and Sanitation Engineer

Dear Ms Franziska,

That is great! Thanks for giving a simple solution. And, I have just done that - - what you have suggested!!

Kindly check at your end.

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• FranziskaVolk

Dear Mr. Mughal,

I am afraid this is technically not possible (yet). But an easy away around this is that you create a second account where you put your second mailing adress as first mailing adress.

Best wishes,
Franziska
Global Water Operators’ Partnerships Alliance (GWOPA) at UN-Habitat- visit at gwopa.org/ and follow @gwopa

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Ms Franziska,

Yes, you are right. I must have clicked it before.

On the registration form, you linked, the form mentions email address and alternate email address. Is it possible for the secretariat to send posts on the 2 email addresses? I once asked Elisabeth about this. She said, it is not possible.

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• FranziskaVolk

Dear Mr. Mughal,

it has to be clicked only once, then the box disappears. Hence, I am assuming you already ticked the box before.

You can see how it looks like for those who have not accepted the data policy on the register page here at the very bottom of the page.

Best wishes,
Franziska

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Ms Franziska,

Thank you for your informative and enlightened post. I appreciate.

You say:

every member and subscriber of the news mail needs to accept the new data and privacy policy and the storage and processing of data once (by ticking the box under Change your details after you logged in)

I'm afraid, I'm unable to find the box. Can you help me, please, by sending the screenshot?

Regards,

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• FranziskaVolk

Dear Mr. Mughal - and all SuSanA members and users of the platform,

The SuSanA Secretariat has always dealt with members data with absolute care, transparency and in compliance with the European data protection laws. We have now reviewed and improved our data and privacy policies to address the new privacy rules in Europe (General Data Protection Regulation, short GDPR), which became enforceable on last Friday, 25th May 2018. The updates will apply even if you live outside Europe, because the server that processes the data is based within Europe (Germany).

The new guidelines do not change your current settings or how your data is processed. We have clarified our procedures in a detailed manner, highlighting the options you have for updating, managing, exporting or deleting your data as a registered member. The updated privacy policy also elaborates on the data implications and provisions of other social media applications connected to the SuSanA platform, such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.

For the future, in order to receive further news and updates from SuSanA Working Groups, Discussion Forum Digest, Regional Chapter Updates or the SuSanA News, every member and subscriber of the news mail needs to accept the new data and privacy policy and the storage and processing of data once (by ticking the box under Change your details after you logged in).

Your personal data such as name, e-mail address, country, organization and further information that you provide while registering to the network or the additional information that you voluntarily add to your personal profile in the Discussion Forum are stored in our security-certified servers list exclusively with the aims of:

1. Sending you e-mails based on what you subscribed to in your personal settings (Discussion Forum Digest, SuSanA News, Working Group Updates or Regional Chapters)

2. Enabling you to create a personal profile in this Discussion Forum to chat and network with sanitation enthusiasts around the globe
The website of SuSanA further collects a series of general data and information when a data subject or automated system calls up the
website. When using these general data and information, SuSanA does not draw any conclusions about the data subject.
Rather, this information is required to:

1. Deliver the content of our website correctly

2. Monitoring the outreach, performance and impact of the network. Please note that all analysis conducted by the SuSanA Secretariat are anonymized and personal data is not transferred to third parties
I think the new regulation is an important step towards a greater awareness among internet users what rights they have regarding their personal data and for all those companies, organisations etc. processing data, to do that with greatest diligence and security measures to protect those data.

Best wishes from the secretariat,
Franziska
The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Ms. Franziska,

Your deeper and useful insights are most welcomed. I'm sure, your administrative steps will benefit the forum users.
When you approach the users, kindly attach a brief note, on why the Susana secretariat is doing this.

Regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• FranziskaVolk

Dear Mr. Mughal,

you are definitely right, this is a big task for all companies and networks to get all members to reconfirm.

If you haven't done it yet, you can accept the new data policy - which actually grants more rights to the user, so you will sign "better" data policy guidelines from the user perspective - under "Change your details" when you are logged in.
We will approach all those who still need to confirm very soon.

Franziska

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

Dear Ms. Franziska,

Thank you for your enlightened and useful response.

Nowadays, almost every newsletter I receive, says that under GDPR, I have to reconfirm my preferences, failing which I might not receive future correspondence. I thought, to comply with GDPR, Susana secretariat may have to ask each user to reconfirm the preferences.

Kind regards,
F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

• FranziskaVolk

Dear Mr. Mughal,

thank you for this post - I am happy to see forum users being interested in the new EU data policy.

Of course, the new EU data policy (GDPR) will apply to this forum as well. In theory, the GDPR only applies to EU citizens’ data, but the global nature of the internet means that nearly every online service is affected.
The transition phase of the regulation will end on 25th of May 2018, until that we are working on all the different aspects that the new guideline entails. We already have set up new data policy guidelines on the SuSanA platform, to which new users need to agree (existing users need to agree when they change their details).

The GDPR are quite comprehensive, so I will put here two of the main modifications to the previous guidelines on data policy:

• First, the GDPR sets a higher bar for obtaining personal data than we’ve ever seen on the internet before. By default, any time a company collects personal data on an EU citizen, it will need explicit and informed consent from that person. Users also need a way to revoke that consent, and they can request all the data a company has from them as a way to verify that consent. It’s a lot stronger than existing requirements, and it explicitly extends to companies based outside the EU.

• Second, the penalties for non-compliance are much more severe than before. Maximum fines per violation are set at 4 percent of a company’s global turnover (or $20 million, whichever is larger).

Franziska
The following user(s) like this post: F H Mughal

• F H Mughal
    Topic Author

General Data Protection Regulation

General Data Protection Regulation

This link - eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/P...X:32016R0679&from=EN - is REGULATION (EU) 2016/679 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation).

The GDPR was approved and adopted by the EU Parliament in April 2016. The regulation will take effect after a two-year transition period and, unlike a Directive it does not require any enabling legislation to be passed by government; meaning it will be in force May 2018.
www.eugdpr.org/

Will the said regulation apply to this forum?

F H Mughal
F H Mughal (Mr.)
Karachi, Pakistan

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds