Key documents for the sub-category on faecal sludge management

13.7k views

Page selection:
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Re: Key documents for the sub-category on faecal sludge management

Thanks Alex and Debashree for responding and Elisabeth for pointing out the other page I need to edit. Based on your suggestions and my own reading in the past few months, I compile below the five key resources on FSM in no particular order. I've attempted to cover as many aspects of planning, technology, and management of FSM services as possible. I haven't come across any  compilation of case studies specifically from Africa, please feel free to suggest one. 

All the resources listed below are open access. 
Hopefully, we will have more authors from the Global South next time.

Regards
paresh

• Strande, L., Ronteltap, M., Brdjanovic, D. (Eds.) (2014). Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) book - Systems Approach for Implementation and Operation. IWA Publishing, UK (ISBN: 9781780404738) (available  here )

Over a billion people in urban and peri-urban areas of Africa, Asia, and Latin America are served by onsite sanitation technologies. Until now, the management of faecal sludge resulting from these onsite technologies has been grossly neglected. This is the first book dedicated to faecal sludge management. It compiles the current state of knowledge of this rapidly evolving field, and presents an integrated approach that includes technology, management and planning. 

• Blackett I and Hawkins P(2017)  FSM Innovation: Case Studies on the Business, Policy and Technology of Faecal Sludge Management. Seattle: Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (available  here )

A global platform for FSM discussion and learning was created in 2011 by leading global sector organizations. The aim was to share experiences, brainstorm potential solutions and formulate evidence-based policy recommendations that promote appropriate practices. At the same time, the plan was to identify and disseminate lessons learned on how to make FSM an integral part of urban sanitation service delivery – in cities and towns both with and without sewerage systems.The opening chapter provides a critical analysis of the experiences of developing FSM programmes at scale from more than 20 cities. It summarized the lessons learned and important ‘do’s and don’ts’ for policymakers, managers, experts, donors or service providers who are in the process of developing or funding improved FSM services. It is followed by case studies from cities in Africa and Asia 

This guidebook explores some of the basic principles behind sewage treatment, and how it may be impacted by co-treatment of wastes from on-site containments, to try to throw some light on how co-treatment could be considered, in an incremental manner, recognising risks and mitigating them. It is intended to facilitate a better understanding among planners, engineers, decision-makers and technical practitioners and to help them evaluate and consider the option of co-treatment.

• Rao, K. C.; Velidandla, S.; Scott, C. L.; Drechsel, P. 2020. Business models for fecal sludge management in India. Colombo, Sri Lanka: International Water Management Institute (IWMI). CGIAR Research Program on Water, Land and Ecosystems (WLE). 199p. (Resource Recovery and Reuse Series 18: Special Issue)

Globally, 50% of the population relies on on-site sanitation systems (OSS) such as septic tanks and pit latrines and is, hence, in need of Fecal Sludge Management (FSM) solutions. India is a classic example, given that its government built more than 100 million toilets with the majority relying on OSS. With 400 fecal sludge treatment plants (FSTPs) in various stages of planning, procurement and construction, this report comes at an opportune time to present findings on FSM business models already implemented across India.
In total, 18 business models were identified, several with energy or nutrient recovery components. The analysis of E&T operators revealed clear differences that steer a business towards success or failure. The majority of operators still dispose fecal sludge in an unsafe manner, due to the lack of official disposal or treatment sites. In comparison to sewer networks, the capital and operating costs (per capita) of FSTPs were significantly lower. The report provides evidence-based discussions on policies and recommendations for scaling and sustaining FSM. 

• Velkushanova, Konstantina, Damir Brdjanovic, Thammarat Koottatep, Linda Strande, Chris Buckley, and Mariska Ronteltap. Methods for faecal sludge analysis. IWA Publishing, 2021( Available here ) 

The aim of this book is to provide a basis for standardised methods for the analysis of faecal sludge from onsite sanitation technologies, for improved communication between sanitation practitioners, and for greater confidence in the generated data. The book presents background information on types of faecal sludge, methods for sample collection, health and safety procedures for handling, case studies of experimental design, an approach for estimating faecal sludge at community to city-wide scales, modelling containment and treatment processes, recipes for simulants, and laboratory methods for faecal sludge analysis currently in use by faecal sludge laboratories.

Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
The following user(s) like this post: AlexandraDubois

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • debasreep23
  • I am R&D Associate at BlueDrop Environ. I have completed my doctorate in Waste management from IIT Roorkee. I worked on the treatment facet of waste as well as faecal sludge management. I am looking for potential postdoctoral positions in the area of waste/faecal sludge management.

Dear Paresh and Elisabeth,

Greetings of the day. I am Debasree. I have completed my PhD on the topic "Waste segregation and treatment using Black Soldier Fly Larvae as biological agents". As part of my research work I have fed BSFL on human faeces and human faeces mixed with food waste. Following are the 5 books/references/articles I found important during my doctoral work:

1. Strande, Linda, and Damir Brdjanovic, eds. Faecal sludge management: Systems approach for implementation and operation. IWA publishing, 2014, www.eawag.ch/en/department/sandec/publications/fsm-book/ 

2. Rohilla, Suresh Kumar, Bhitush Luthra, Amrita Bhatnagar, Mahreen Matto, and Uday Bhonde. "Septage management: a practitioner’s guide." Centre for Science and Environment, New Delhi (2017). nmcg.nic.in/writereaddata/fileupload/5_S...e-EnglishVersion.pdf 

3. Tilley, Elizabeth. Compendium of sanitation systems and technologies. Eawag, 2014. doc.rero.ch/record/309484/files/12-13._C...2nd_Ed_Lowres_EN.pdf 

4. Velkushanova, Konstantina, Damir Brdjanovic, Thammarat Koottatep, Linda Strande, Chris Buckley, and Mariska Ronteltap. Methods for faecal sludge analysis. IWA Publishing, 2021. library.oapen.org/handle/20.500.12657/48780 

5. Diener, Stefan, Swaib Semiyaga, Charles B. Niwagaba, Ashley Murray Muspratt, Jean Birane Gning, Mbaye Mbéguéré, Joseph Effah Ennin, Christian Zurbrugg, and Linda Strande. "A value proposition: Resource recovery from faecal sludge—Can it be the driver for improved sanitation?." Resources, Conservation and Recycling 88 (2014): 32-38. www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0921344914000913

Kind Regards,
Debasree
--
Kind Regards,
Dr. Debasree Purkayastha
R&D Associate, BlueDrop Environ
www.bluedropwetlands.com
| Google scholar | scholar.google.com/citations?user=CiD64xUAAAAJ&hl=en |
| LinkedIn | www.linkedin.com/in/debasreepenvirontmentalengg/ |
| Researchgate | www.researchgate.net/profile/Debasree_Purkayastha2 |

• Alix
  • PhD student in Urban Sanitation Looking at regulation of emptying and transport services for faecal sludge in LMIC

Hi Elisabeth and Paresh, 

The recent documents I've found really useful in my research (in addition to the ones you already have): Another useful resource to get an idea of the sanitation situation in a region / country:
- Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA), 2021. SFD Data. sfd.susana.org/about/sfd-data 

Good luck making a list of only 5 documents, there are many really good ones!

Best, 
Alix
Alix Lerebours
Doctoral researcher
WEDC
Loughborough University, UK
The following user(s) like this post: paresh

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Thank you Paresh, very good initiative. I agree with you and suggest you go ahead and edit the first post of this thread accordingly. The only requirement is to keep it at 5 documents (not more), in order to not overburden people. 

By the way, this page here shows the key documents for each of the forum sub-categories where we set it up so far. Many of them should probably be updated by now.

Greetings,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India.I am a patient person :)

Elisabeth's conversation with Linda regarding reviewing the Wikipedia article on FSM prompted us to check this thread only to realise that this list of key documents has not been updated in more than 5 years. Knowing that our understanding of FSM has greatly evolved  and we also have experiences emerging from various parts of the world, it looks like a good time to re populate this list. 

From the previous list, I'd
  • retain (4) Strande, L., Ronteltap, M., Brdjanovic, D. (Eds.) (2014). Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) book - Systems Approach for Implementation and Operation. IWA Publishing, UK (ISBN: 9781780404738) (available  here )
  • replace (2) with their new publication based on review of 39 SFD reports - Estimating Safely Managed Sanitation in Urban Areas - Lessons Learned From a Global Implementation of Excreta-Flow Diagrams. Front. Environ. Sci. 8:1. doi: 10.3389/fenvs.2020.00001 (available here ) 
I would add
  • the new book on "Methods for Fecal Sludge Analysis" introduced in this thread  and available here 
I would urge other members to suggest references they would like to be included in or removed from this list.

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

• Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Key documents for the sub-category on faecal sludge management

For more information about why I am creating this new thread, please see here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/10-gen...d-sub-category-level

++++++++++++++

This thread is a "sticky thread" which means it will always remain at the top of this sub-category. It contains a recommendation and orientation for newcomers regarding the most important five documents and website links in this thematic area.

The selection of documents is based on the SuSanA library findings.
We are open to feedback if others think that another document should be selected here.

Recommended top 5 documents in the thematic area of "Faecal sludge management", in reverse chronological order:

(1)
Dorai Narayana (2020). Co-Treatment ofSeptage and Fecal Sludge in Sewage Treatment Facilities - A Guide for Planners and Implementers
iwaponline.com/ebooks/book/782/Co-Treatm...cal-Sludge-in-Sewage

The book deals with co-managing the treatment of waste sludges from on-site systems in networked sewerage systems. It explores some of the basic principles behind sewage treatment, and how it may be impacted by waste sludges from on-site containments, to try to throw some light on how co-treatment could be considered, in an incremental manner, recognising risks and mitigating them. 
It is meant as a guide for planners to evaluate and consider the option of co-treatment in a confident manner, evaluating risks and opportunities, and adopt the option successfully.

(2)
Peal, A., Evans, B., Blackett, I., Hawkins, P., Heymans, C. (2015). A Review of Fecal Sludge Management in 12 Cities - (Final Draft). World Bank - Water and Sanitation Program
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2212

The World Bank - Water and Sanitation Program commissioned this study to examine global trends in FSM using 12 city case studies as a basis. The objective was to start developing an analysis that can be used to assess FSM at the city level and identify appropriate operational interventions.The report is comprised of five sections. Section one, for example, introduces the report and provides the background as to why fecal sludge management is important.

(3)
WRC (2015). The Status of Faecal Sudge Management in Eight Southern and East African Countries. WRC Report No. KV 340/15 , prepared for the Sanitation Research Fund for Africa (SRFA) Project of the Water Research Commission (WRC), Pretoria, South Africa, ISBN 978-1-4312-0685-8
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2364

Twelve African institutions and organisations from eight Southern and East African countries were awarded research grants for faecal sludge management. The first task of the research teams was to research the baseline conditions of faecal sludge management in their respective countries. This report presents a consolidated review of their findings, which cover the sanitation policy environment and faecal sludge management practices in these eight Southern and East African countries.

(4)
Strande, L., Ronteltap, M., Brdjanovic, D. (Eds.) (2014). Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) book - Systems Approach for Implementation and Operation. IWA Publishing, UK (ISBN: 9781780404738)
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2100

Over a billion people in urban and peri-urban areas of Africa, Asia, and Latin America are served by onsite sanitation technologies. Until now, the management of faecal sludge resulting from these onsite technologies has been grossly neglected. This is the first book dedicated to faecal sludge management. It compiles the current state of knowledge of this rapidly evolving field, and presents an integrated approach that includes technology, management and planning.

(5)
Diener et al. (2014). A value proposition - Resource recovery from faecal sludge — Can it be the driver for improved sanitation. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, Elsevier
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/2025

This study evaluated the potential for resource recovery from innovative faecal sludge treatment processes to generate a profit that could help sustain the sanitation service chain. A total of 242 interviews were conducted in Accra, Ghana; Dakar, Senegal; and Kampala, Uganda to compare markets in different cultural and regional contexts. Products identified to have potential market value include dry sludge as a fuel for combustion, biogas from anaerobic digestion, protein derived from sludge processing as animal feed, sludge as a component in building materials, and sludge as a soil conditioner.

(5b) - Possible alternative for number 5 - to be decided
WSUP (2011). Integrating faecal sludge management (FSM) into urban sanitation planning - Discussion paper. Water & sanitation for the urban poor (WSUP), London, UK
www.susana.org/en/resources/library/details/1728

Municipal governments and utilities often accept responsibility only for sewerage, not for faecal sludge management (FSM). This paper argues that urban sanitation planning needs to consider sewerage and FSM in an integrated way: even when — as in many African cities — the long-term aim is to achieve sewerage of all densely populated districts, this aim is unlikely to be achieved for several decades, and in the meantime appropriate solutions are required for FSM.

You can find further important documents and website links dealing with this topic here: Please provide your feedback. What do you think of this selection? We can update it from time to time.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: MRonteltap

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.262 seconds