Could anyone suggest tools for measuring greenhouse gas emissions from solid waste?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Could anyone suggest tools for measuring greenhouse gas emissions from solid waste?

Hi Arun,

You asked about: Could anyone suggest tools for measuring greenhouse gas emissions from solid waste? My question back to you: Do you mean methane emissions from landfills where anaerobic processes take place to degrade organic matter? Or is it other aspects of solid waste management you have in mind, e.g. the emissions caused by transporting solid waste from households to the landfill site?

I am wondering if the ECAM tool would be useful to you. See this thread in the discussion forum:
Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and FSM - check out the FSM-component in the ECAM-tool

You could perhaps post in that thread and repeat your question in a bit more detail?

About your other question ("has any ward or city prepared an action plan for community-level waste management that specifically focuses on household-level segregation?"), it might be useful to re-post that under a dedicated thread title to draw more attention to it. Are you asking specifically about the Indian context?

We do have this thread about community-based composting centres in India:
Community level composters, organic solid waste collection from households

Perhaps it helps as a starting point. You could also post in that thread to find out more.

Kind regards,
Elisabeth

Edit on 16 June 2021: The discussion continued here
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • arunkumarsgs
    Topic Author
  • A development professional with more than 2 years of experience in WASH (Water Sanitation and Hygiene) sector. My key qualifications are in the areas of innovation and change in WASH, capacity development and lastly supporting government networks, community based institutions including GPs, VWSCs, SHGs and ULBs for Water and sanitation compliance.

Could anyone suggest tools for measuring greenhouse gas emissions from solid waste?

Hello everyone,

I am doing a research project on Municipal Solid Waste with UNICEF. Could anyone suggest tools for measuring greenhouse gas emissions from solid waste? Additionally, has any ward or city prepared an action plan for community-level waste management that specifically focuses on household-level segregation? If anyone could suggest references in the above lines it would be great. 

Thank you.
Regards,
Arunkumar

WASH Consultant, UNICEF Gandhi Nagar, India
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds