× This area is for The Sanitation Ladder: Next Steps discussion, part of the Thematic Discussion Series (TDS). More information on the organisation of this discussion can be found here: forum.susana.org/forum/categories/185-th...on-ladder-next-steps Previous threads relevant to the topic of the Sanitation Ladder have been moved to this category. All new threads for the thematic discussion will say "TDS" before the topic name.

TDS: Week 2 Theme - The post-2015 agenda and emerging monitoring challenges in the sanitation sector

• ricardgine
    Topic Author
  • Researcher at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya

Re: TDS: Week 2 Theme - The post-2015 agenda and emerging monitoring challenges in the sanitation sector

Hi Patrick and Marijn,

I agree with Marijn that monitoring the “environment” where services are delivered is crucial. However, this is not – in my opinion – the main function of a ladder. As Patrick suggests, the “environment” – policies, supply chain, institutional framework, etc. - and the “infrastructure” should be monitored separately. The sanitation ladder seems to be a good tool to monitor the “infrastructure”, i.e. number of facilities, hygienic condition of the facility, management of the facility …

At international level, for instance, one can distinguish between the:

- UN-Water Global Analysis and Assessment of Sanitation and Drinking-Water (GLAAS) report, produced by the World Health Organization (WHO) on behalf of UN-Water. It provides a global update on the policy frameworks, institutional arrangements, human resource base, and international and national finance streams in support of sanitation and drinking-water; and the

- WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme for Water Supply And Sanitation (JMP), in charge of presenting the results of the global monitoring of progress towards MDG 7 target C: to halve, by 2015, the proportion of the population without sustainable access to safe drinking-water and basic sanitation

At the local level, there are various attempts to monitor the infrastructure - facility, as the functional-based ladder. In contrast, I am not aware of any good tool - simple and easy-to-use -to monitor the “environment”, as suggested by Marijn …
You need to login to reply
  • Marijn Zandee
  • No longer working in WASH, but still following the forum.

Re: TDS: Week 2 Theme - The post-2015 agenda and emerging monitoring challenges in the sanitation sector

Note from Moderator: This post is the cut-off point of what will be included in the Thematic Discussion summaries and synthesis. New posts will not be included in the summaries or synthesis, but we welcome new contributions and further discussion in these threads!

Dear Patrick, Ricard,

I read my post above again, it seems a bit more grumpy than it should have been. Sorry, I was not feeling so well at the time.

But, to come back to the subject. Patrick, in your post above you mention that you think a “more systemic view” is good and that we should look at the “sustainability of services”. For me, that means you have to look at the organizational set-up behind the services. Otherwise, I am not sure how you can ever address their sustainability.

Further, looking at the idea of a ladder. Would it not be possible to assign each rung/step of the ladder with an indication of what would normally be needed in terms of private and public sector services and legislation/fee structures to achieve each level of functionality?

In many larger organizations the contribution towards the MDGs of a project had to be mentioned in the project proposal. If such an orientation is also expected for the SDGs, than it makes sense to me that we try to put the most critical points for the up-scaling of sanitation in the SDGs. In my view, this means that you should have the enabling environment in there, to force organizations to address it while designing interventions.

From my perspective, separating the tools in which you monitor the steps communities take towards improved sanitation and the ones in which you monitor the enabling environment leaves the option open to projects to ignore one or the other. (There are of course many projects that do take both into consideration.)

Best

Marijn

Marijn Zandee

E: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Attachments:
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 1.451 seconds