How to find toilet-related standards in other countries?

Page selection:
  • csk
    Topic Author
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Re: How to find toilet-related standards in other countries?

Dear Elisabeth,

I don't have these Chinese book e-versions. Prof. Zifu Li led the translation so he should have e-versions.

I could upload some other Chinese literature published in recent years, with English abstract.

Thanks for your information, I will search within SusanA library.

Kind regards

Shikun
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Shikun,

Can you please help us get those documents that you translated into Chinese also into the SuSanA library? So far we only have these 15 Chinese documents in the SuSanA library and most of them are rather old:
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...title=&author=&year=

If you post the Chinese documents that you have translated into this thread then I can alert the secretariat to add them to the library. (or if you work with an organisation who is already a SuSanA partner you could upload them to the library yourself).

Secondly, you asked: "Do you have any information to share about human excrement for agriculture?" There is loads of stuff. I don't know which ones you have already seen. You could go to the SuSanA library and filter by reuse type (select all boxes there) which gives you these 500 documents:
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/resource...8&vbl_2%5B%5D=&test=

Use the other filters (or the search field) to narrow it down further, e.g. by adding the word "regulation". You might have to try several different combinations of filters and search terms to find what you are looking for.

You can also use the Wikipedia article on "resource recovery" as a starting point because I have tried to ensure that all the most important references are cited there (see reference list of that Wikipedia article).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• csk
    Topic Author
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Thanks, Elisabeth.

In the past days, I found some ISO, US, EU, Germany, Japan, Australia, French toilet-related standards online.

For Chinese toilet-related standards, I recalculated, if plus national, industrial, local standards, the total number should be over 100. They are not ISO standards. There are about 20 national standards. Because of the toilet revolution campaign in recent years, many local standards were also developed. They are about the household toilet, public toilet, environmental sanitation, FS management, toilet products, harmless sanitary requirement, water consumption ration, etc.

We are also drafting a local standard about human excrement returning to farmland. Do you have any information to share about human excrement for agriculture? I know there are some studies in Asia and Africa. We also translated the “Toilets That Make Compost” Author: Peter Morgan ISBN: 978-9-186-12528-8 and “Practical Guideline on the Use of Urine in Crop Production” Author: Anna Richert, ISBN: 978-91-86125-21-9 from English to Chinese.

I am drafting a manuscript about toilet standardization in China. I plan to submit next month to some international journals. So I hope it can be published ASAP. I will share immediately once it is published.

Kind regards

Shikun
Shikun Cheng,

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Shikun,

I want to bring your question back to the top of the pile. You said "there are over 50 toilet and sanitation-related standards in China". What kind of standards are they? Are they national Chinese standards or international ones?

If you are interested in ISO standards, then take a look at these previous discussion threads here (in case you haven't seen this category yet):
forum.susana.org/iso-standards-internati...-for-standardization

I recall seeing something about European Standards on the Wikipedia page of septic tanks: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Septic_tank#Regulations

This might lead you to some interesting pages. (good thing that you are currently in the UK, as Wikipedia is banned in China since April of this year - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_Wikipedia#China)

Please let us know what you find.

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• csk
    Topic Author

toilet standards in other countries

I am compiling the toilet standards worldwide, there are over 50 toilet and sanitation-related standards in China. I would like to know how to find toilet-related standards in other countries, for instance, in the US, UK, Japan, Germany, Sweden, South Africa, India, etc.

Is there anyone who can share the information?

Thanks in advance.

Shikun Cheng, Ph. D
Shikun Cheng,

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds