USAID Transform WASH Program in Ethiopia

18.3k views

Page selection:
  • dietvorst

Re: USAID Transform WASH Program: Market-based sanitation

Dear colleagues,

It has been a while since an update has been posted about USAID Transform WASH. 

In a  special issue of Amplify newsletter  we share key outputs of a market-based sanitation activity implemented in Ethiopia:  USAID Transform WASH  (2017 to 2023) a USAID-funded activity implemented by PSI in collaboration with SNV, IRC WASH, and, through 2022, Plan International. The consortium is working closely with government agencies, including the Ministry of Health, the Ministry of Water and Energy, the One WASH National Program, and regional and sub-regional governments. 

Please take your time to learn about an exciting  door-to-door sales approach  and how  stakeholder coordination  can be strengthened. Learn about how we think  universal sanitation access  can be reached in Ethiopia and have a look at the national  sanitation subsidy protocol  developed to provide guidance on smart and targeted subsidies to reach the poorest. Watch below our animations, which highlight some key findings that you should consider when implementing a market-based sanitation intervention yourself. Finally, please ask your colleagues and staff members who are new to market-based sanitation to reserve two days and take our introductory course,  Market-Based Sanitation – The Basics

The above text is taken from the blog " Private sector can help Ethiopians move up the sanitation ladder ", by Lars Osterwalder, IRC Associate and Monte Achenbach, Chief of Party, USAID Transform WASH | PSI Ethiopia.
Cor Dietvorst
Information Manager
Programme Officer | IRC
+31 70 304 4014 | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | www.ircwash.org
Skype cor.dietvorst | Twitter @dietvorst

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • torbenholmlarsen

Re: USAID Transftrom WASH Program

Hi Daniel,

Great to hear about your ongoing WASH efforts in Ethiopia.

I am on my way to Ethiopia right now, to conduct a field study together with LSHTM with our new innovation Supertowel, which is a product designed to provide easy access to handwashing without using soap.

The study will be focussing on user acceptance among refugees in the Shire region. We have already conducted lab studies that has concluded that Supertowel is more efficient for handwashing than water and soap.

I am going to be in Addis on 20th and 21st of September and would love to meet you and discuss. Please lets connect on e-mail or Skype, you can reach me on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or SkypeID: torbenholmlarsen

Best
Torben

• kengelly

Hi Daniel,

Would love to learn about how TRANSFORM is doing -- any key milestones to share?

Regards,
Genevieve
Genevieve Kelly
Graduate Student | MBA & MPH
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD USA | tel: 570-854-5075 skype: kengelly
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: kifle1adama

• kifle1adama

Re: USAID Transform WASH Program in Ethiopia

Thanks for the information and welcome to my country Ethiopia
I would like to work with the group .

with baste regrades
kifle Misganaw
Adama UDDT

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: USAID Transform WASH Program in Ethiopia

Dear Daniel,

I've now added your project to the SuSanA project database, where it now looks like this:
www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects/database/details/534

I wasn't sure where to place the pin on the map though - so I picked Added Ababa, is that good? (at this stage, only one pin is possible for each project)
You could also still add a characteristic photo or video of the project if you like.

I'll e-mail you separately about this. But I put it here on purpose so that others who have interesting projects to share know how easy it is to get them added to the SuSanA project database. And it is even easier if the project owner is a SuSanA partner like PSI. In that case, Daniel can get his SuSanA login upgraded so that he can add or edit PSI's projects himself in future. To get that upgrade organised you just need to contact the SuSanA secretariat (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.). They will also send you the simple instructions on how to add projects. We see this as a great way to share information about your projects in a central place that can be easily accessed, searched and filtered: the SuSanA project database (www.susana.org/en/knowledge-hub/projects/database).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: kifle1adama

• dtesfaye
    Topic Author

Re: Commercially Viable Business Development Centers

Yes that is what I shared. Please go a head to share the document with PSI platform and share me the link so that I will use it for my future updates.
thanks!
Daniel Tesfaye
I am working as WASH technical manager for PSI Ethiopia. PSI/E has a flagship USAID Transform WASH project aim to test and develop market-based models that will increase use of improved WASH products and services in Ethiopia with consortium members.
Contact address:
skype- daniel. tesfaye2012

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Daniel,

Would you like to add that project also to PSI's partner profile page and hence to the SuSanA project database?
See also my post about that here:
forum.susana.org/87-new-susana-partners/...tion-of-susana#23505

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• dtesfaye
    Topic Author

Dear all,
I attached another document of the Transform WASH work related to Finance. As we all know that Fiancé for business enterprises and house hold for sanitation market is a key component to make the business viable. To this end, we undertake assessment for financing option and designed models to be piloted in 2018. Please find here with the study result and proposed financing options.

Regards,
Daniel T.
Daniel Tesfaye
I am working as WASH technical manager for PSI Ethiopia. PSI/E has a flagship USAID Transform WASH project aim to test and develop market-based models that will increase use of improved WASH products and services in Ethiopia with consortium members.
Contact address:

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• dtesfaye
    Topic Author

Dear all,

It is my pleasure to introduce USAID Transform WASH project launched in Ethiopia in 2017. USAID Transform WASH is a five-year activity awarded to PSI and Consortium partners SNV, IRC and Plan International (‘the Consortium’) to test and develop market-based models that will increase demand for and supply of quality, affordable WASH products and services. Through development and testing of scalable and replicable business models, the activity will support and increase capacity of the Government of Ethiopia’s (GOE) One WASH National Program (OWNP) to increase use of improved WASH products and services.

Here with I attached the project brief.
Regards,
Daniel Tesfaye
Contact address:

• Gizesh

Thanks for the document on the financial model. Please keep us with the updates of the program , I am really interested to
follow the program and see better WASH products and service in my community.
Gizeshwork Tadesse Gurmu
Msc Environmental sanitation
Lecturer at Federal Technical and vocational education and training institute
Department of water works construction

• jtinsley
  • Africa Regional Director for Water.org

Thanks, and please let us know if Water.org can be of assistance with development of the financing model.

• dtesfaye
    Topic Author

Dear All,
Since sanitation is not a lucrative business it has a challenge to attract fiancé institution to invest in it. To this end, Transform WASH has conducted financing options at house hold level and for the business enterprises. Hence, Please find attached document produced for financing of WASH products and services for USAID Transform WASH.
Daniel
WASH Technical Manager,
Daniel Tesfaye
Contact address:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds