Looking for experts to interview to understand the situation of rural sanitation in Kenya, the government's approach and attitude towards it.

Page selection:
  • macdora16
    Topic Author
  • M.Sc. IWRM student at Cologne University of applied science, Germany. Researching on 'mapping rural sanitation approaches and designing a just transition approach to open-defecation-free communities'.

Re: Looking for experts to interview to understand the situation of rural sanitation in Kenya, the government's approach and attitude towards it.

Hello Mr. Cherutich,
Yes, I was able to find enough experts to interview. Thanks for your consideration and support.

Regards
Sumit
Sumit Sharma
M.Sc. IWRM student at Technische Hochschule Köln, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • cheruj

Re: Looking for experts to interview to understand the situation of rural sanitation in Kenya, the government's approach and attitude towards it.

Hello! Did you get someone to interview in Kenya? 

If not you can reach out to me.

Thank you.

• FinnS
  • Junior Advisor at the SuSanA secretariat with an academic background in Management of natural Resources (B.Sc.) and Integrated Water Resources Management (M.Sc.)

Hi Alisa,

It is always super interesting to read about all the projects and approaches that people are taking, launching and implementing to achieve and move forward towards sustainable sanitation! 
In your answer you wrote that the primary construction began in January 2020 and the school projects were launched ten months later, in November 2020, despite the pandemic.
How are the schools and the use of the compost toilet blocks affected by the pandemic? Are the schools still open? Do you already have some preliminary results or lessons learned in regards of the challenges in monitoring the project?
Also it would be great if you could share the case study here in the forum or upload it to the SuSanA library once it is finished!

best regards & stay safe,
Finn

• macdora16
    Topic Author
  • M.Sc. IWRM student at Cologne University of applied science, Germany. Researching on 'mapping rural sanitation approaches and designing a just transition approach to open-defecation-free communities'.

Thank you Alisa for your clarification. The work you guys are doing is admirable. 
Sumit Sharma
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: AKSantaCruz

• macdora16
    Topic Author

Thank you, Charles, your work experience seems impressive. It would be great to talk to you about your experience. 
Sumit Sharma

• AKSantaCruz

Hi Finn,

I'm the director of GiveLove's EcoSan skills training program. I was surprised to learn that the Kenya Connect project was mentioned on the forum. The project began as a small pilot at Kenya Connect's HQ, where we introduced a compost toilet system based on the humanure approach developed by Joe Jenkins. The compost toilet was used by office staff and international visitors.

GiveLove worked with Kenya Connect to install compost toilet blocks for teachers at a two schools in 2018-19. Based on the positive experiences with the toilets, three schools expressed an interest in scaling up the approach for use by students. GiveLove and Kenya Connect raised funds from several small family foundations and donors to fund construction, operating costs, and training. 

Primary construction began in January 2020. The school projects launched in November 2020 despite the pandemic. GiveLove provided technical support via Zoom to review composting protocols with Kenya Connect's staff. Our team was forced to leave Kenya in March 2020 due to the Covid lockdown. We look forward to sharing this case study as soon as we compile more data.

GiveLove is also piloting school systems with WelthungerHilfe in the Karamoja region of Uganda, and public and household compost toilets in Kampala.  

Thank you for sharing!

Alisa Puga Keesey
Director, GiveLove
Program Director, GiveLove.org — EcoSan Training Program

• cngira

I am anindependent Consultant and trainer in WASH, experienced in demandcreation activities through community - led and marked - based sanitation (MBS)
programs as a field practitioner, trainer, advisor and consultant with local,
national and regional experience. In my previous role as WASHTechnical Advisor, I led the implementation of Market Based Sanitation Approach
in Kitui County in Kenya and helped to link open defecationfree (ODF) households and communities to private sector and micro-finance institutions
for sanitation products/ services and financing options for local entrepreneursbuilding on earlier similar post – open defecation free (ODF) initiatives by
UNICEF in the same County. To support develop a strong workforce forMBS,I collaborated with County Government Ministry of health of Kitui to develop
training guide for skills upgrading of local artisans and trained Public Health
Officers and artisans/masons on latrine upgrading and installation of SATO
toilet (Sato pans and Sato stools) products as sustainable sanitation
solutions. In the sanitation sector, I have also participated in the development and review of national WASH/CLTSdocuments including, the CLTS protocol, CLTS training manual, ODF Verification
and Certification guidelines and processes, Urban – Led Total Sanitation
guidelines and ODF communication plan.Charles Ngira
The following user(s) like this post: macdora16

• macdora16
    Topic Author

Thank you, Esther, your work sounds amazing. It would be great to talk to you about your experience. 
Sumit Sharma

• macdora16
    Topic Author

Thank you, Finn, for your insights. I will look into it.
Sumit Sharma

• Esthervl
  • Implementation special at SEMiLLA Sanitation whom develop and implement sustainable closed loop water and sanitation concepts based on space in developing countries, separating different water streams and recovering important resources.

Dear Sumit Sharma,

The past half year I have been working in Kenya, Vihiga county. I have visited numerous schools, the county government and the local water and sewage company. If you think I could help you my email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Kind regards,

Esther

• FinnS
  • Junior Advisor at the SuSanA secretariat with an academic background in Management of natural Resources (B.Sc.) and Integrated Water Resources Management (M.Sc.)

Dear Sumit Sharma,

welcome to the Forum. I recently saw this post by Daniel, where he presented the monthly digest of recent activities related to WG5 - productive sanitation and food security from the month of November 2020.
The first project news he mentioned might be interesting for you:
"Kenya Connect launches student compost toilets in Mwala, Kenya.  Partnering with GiveLove.org, an ecosan wash program, Kenya Connect has embraced this elegant technology as a way to provide clean sanitation to students in their rural community.   www.kenyaconnect.org/2020/11/09/student-...ed-by-james-musyoka/  "

Also you can try to find resources in our library and project database.  This entry in the SuSanA Project Database might be useful regarding contact persons and this one  in the library in regards of Sanitation Policies, Practices, and Preferences in Kisumu, Kenya. 

Good luck for your research,

Finn

• macdora16
    Topic Author

Looking for experts to interview to understand the situation of rural sanitation in Kenya, the government's approach and attitude towards it.

Dear all,
I am a student of Integrated Water Resource Management and am writing my master's thesis on the topic of just sanitation approach to rural sanitation in schools in Kenya. And as this being qualitative research, I would like to interview an expert (native Kenyan or any other) who is aware of the Kenyan water and sanitation policies and approach and can give his/her views regarding the government's approach and attitude towards water and sanitation problem in Kenya. Also would be interested in knowing what participatory approach according to him/her would be good for the Kenyan context.

Thanks and regards
Sumit Sharma
Sumit Sharma

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds