Dry Toilet Conference in Aug. 2012 (Tampere, Finland)

Page selection:
  • christoph
  • Sanitary engineer with base in Brazil and Peru, doing consultancy in other countries of LA

Re: Dry Toilet Conference in Aug. 2012 (Tampere, Finland)

Dear Kirsikka,
first of all thanks for the fast putting online of the presentations.
I started to go through some of the presentations, as I´m mainly interested in scale up I started to look in the section 2 TECHNOLOGICAL OPTIONS AND URBAN APPLICATIONS.
My eyes were drawn to "

How (not) to design and construct UDDTs - a comprehensive guide to functionality"

. The first part of the presentation is very interesting. I just don´t agree with the conclusion of the authors

"Need for a comprehensive manual on UDDTs which
highlights critical issues and provides dos and don’ts to avoid the errors."

Some two to three years ago that might have been right. In Latin America we developed a manual (the photo is in the material as well) which covers exactly that point of practical approach for different materials and situations for bench style UDDT. So one question to the authors would be (I know Lukas is reading the Forum), in you opinion what is lacking in the manual?
www.susana.org/docs_ccbk/susana_download...ultrotariaperuen.pdf
My question is not rhetoric, we tried to cover exactly the critics the authors had, so it would be interesting to have their view on that.
As I said from my point of view the main point is not the availability of manuals any more. I think the two other points stated in the paper as well are crucial:

o Engineers unaware of / underestimating important details and their implications
o Insufficient supervision during construction

It is simply very expensive to do supervision for each toilet. We came to the conclusion the only way is to train constructers and when they are good you keep on working with them, if they don´t deliver quality just change. For larger scale a quality list could be a solution.

There are lots of examples which are constructed with costs which are not replicable in scale, therefore "not valid".

But I´m close to be drifting to another topic, my main aim in this post was to motivate people to write about the presentations they looked at, in order to see if we can by this have a quicker overview about interesting papers.

Yours
Christoph
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • falco

Re: Invalid URLs: Dry Toilet Conference in Aug. 2012 (Tampere, Finland)

Thanks for your note about the availability of these presentations and full papers.

I had trouble connecting to the two URLs in the following message; at the bottom of this message I have appended two URLS that work for me.

The conference presentations are available at the website of Global Dry Toilet Association of Finalnd: drytoilet.org/dt2012/presentations.html
And also the full papers are there now! See: www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/full_papers.html#5

These two URLs work:

www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/presentations.html
www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/full_papers.html

• kirsikkapynnonen

Hello everybody!

Once again I want to thank you all for the great conference in August.

The conference presentations are available at the website of Global Dry Toilet Association of Finalnd: drytoilet.org/dt2012/presentations.html
And also the full papers are there now! See: www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/full_papers.html#5

Enjoy (:

Kirsikka

ps. Soon the full papers will be available in the SuSanA library as well!
The following user(s) like this post: Elisabeth, christoph

• Erja
  • Topic Author

Dear all,

We are happy to inform you that the 4th International Dry Toilet 2012 Conference is approaching. The Conference dates are 22 - 24 August, 2012.

We have received many speakers from developing countries and the programme is comprehensive and very international. There will be about 75 oral presentations and about 20 poster presentations. Conference programme may be found at: www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/programme.html

One of the keynote speakers is Dr Kamal Kar from India, who has developed the Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) method. He will elucidate cultural, gender and social aspects of ecological sanitation.

160 persons from 45 countries have already registered. Please register at: www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/registration/

In the Great Hall Lobby there will be a Dry Toilet Exhibition, which is free of charge for everyone.

Come and learn new ecological sanitation practices and research results from the experts!

Kind regards,
Erja Takala

--
Erja Takala (Mrs)
Conference Secretary
Global Dry Toilet Association of Finland
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Tel. +358 45 875 3597
www.drytoilet.org
www.facebook.com/DTFinland
www.twitter.com/DTFinland

• Erja
  • Topic Author

Re: Two weeks to register at a lower price in the Dry Toilet 2012 Conference

Dear all,

We have an honour to invite you to participate in the 4th International Dry Toilet Conference. It will be held in Tampere, Finland, on 22 - 25 August, 2012. A pre-Conference workshop Safe and Sustainable Sanitation will be organised by the Tampere University of Technology on 20 - 22 August. There is no course fee for the workshop!

Dozens of sanitation experts from around the world will come and present their research and findings concerning ecological sanitation and its' benefits as well as challenges particularly in developing countries. The most popular topic will be cultural, gender and social aspects of dry toilets. There will be also several speeches concerning productive sanitation and energy saving.

Please see more details at: www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/.

The early bird registration fee for Dry Toilet 2012 is valid until 15 May, 2012.

Kind regards,
Erja

--
Erja Takala (Mrs)
Conference Secretary
Global Dry Toilet Association of Finland
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Tel. +358 45 875 3597
www.drytoilet.org
www.facebook.com/DTFinland
www.twitter.com/DTFinland

• Erja
  • Topic Author

Re: Reminder: Second Call for abstracts for the Dry Toilet 2012 Conference

Dear all,

Can we get rid of flying toilets in slums? Where do we get fertilizers from in the future? How can we keep the drinking water potable?

Peak phosphorus is coming after peak oil, and climate change will have a great effect on water management. The sanitation crisis touches at least 2,6 billion people. We all want to have a proper sanitation and we need current information of sanitation issues.

We are looking forward to receive fascinating abstracts for the Dry Toilet 2012 Conference by 15 January, 2012. The abstract may deal with e.g. legislation, productive sanitation or gender aspects. See more details through the link www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/.

Note by moderator: the abstract deadline has now been extended to 31 January.

Tell your colleagues as well and join us on Facebook at facebook.com/DTFinland and Twitter at twitter.com/DTFinland.

The registration has been opened at www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/registration/.

Yours sincerely,
Erja Takala

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Erja
  • Topic Author

Re: Reminder: Call for abstracts for Dry Toilet 2012 Conference

Dear all,

Can we get rid of flying toilets in slums? Where do we get fertilizers from in the future? How can we keep the drinking water potable?

Peak phosphorus is coming after peak oil, and climate change will have a great effect on water management. The sanitation crisis touches at least 2,6 billion people. We all want to have a proper sanitation and we need current information of sanitation issues.

We are looking forward to receive fascinating abstracts for the Dry Toilet 2012 Conference by 15 January, 2012. The abstract may deal with e.g. legislation, productive sanitation or gender aspects. See more details through the link www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/.

Tell your colleagues as well and join us on Facebook at facebook.com/DTFinland and Twitter at twitter.com/DTFinland.

The registration has been opened at www.drytoilet.org/dt2012/registration/.

Yours sincerely,
Erja Takala

• Erja
  • Topic Author

Dry Toilet 2012 Conference: Second Announcement and Call for Papers

Dear all,

The preparations for the 4th International Dry Toilet Conference are well under way. The Conference will deal with ecological sanitation. We have now finished the Second Announcement and Call for Papers. Please, see the attachment (2.9 MB). The Brochure in pdf-format can also be found on our website at drytoilet.org/dt2012. We have limited financial resources to post some hard copies, if you request.

You may submit an abstract by January 15, 2012. Conference registration will be opened in November. The organisers offer limited financial support for registration, travel or accommodation to delegates from low-income countries. Prerequisite for getting the funding is that a person has submitted an abstract or a poster, which has been accepted by the Scientific Committee.

Yours sincerely,
Erja Takala
Conference Secretary

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds