Reply: Developing a solution for the expensive continuous desludging of black water from cesspits of refugee camps in Lebanon

Page selection:
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: Reply: Developing a solution for the expensive continuous desludging of black water from cesspits of refugee camps in Lebanon

Just for reference: forum.susana.org/67-challenging-environm...rgency-context#31819
(Technology options developed in the Kutupalong refugee settlements in southern Bangladesh)

You probably need to make a better analysis what it is that makes the emptying so expensive. It is the high liquid content as others already mentioned? Or maybe the difficulties in access? Non-technical factors like market-failures and labour costs?

Some sort of emptying is unavoidable in decentralized sanitation, but the frequency and costs can be greatly reduced with careful planning.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Reply: Developing a solution for the expensive continuous desludging of black water from cesspits of refugee camps in Lebanon

Hi Esther,
No problem to mention brand names on the forum, so feel free. :-) 

This is Rule 10 of our forum (forum.susana.org/forum/rules):
  1. We do not allow plain commercial advertising. On the other hand, we do encourage private sector participation and therefore are open to posts by people working for companies selling sanitation related products and services. A technically sound introduction of sanitation-related products and services is in principle allowed in  this category . For example: A user who provides helpful advice and interesting information to other forum members on composting toilets, is allowed to explain their own company’s composting toilet products and to engage with other users on discussions thereof. In other words: SuSanA members can share information about products and services related to sanitation on the SuSanA Forum, as long as it is part of a productive dialogue with other SuSanA members.
Greetings,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Esthervl
  • Implementation special at SEMiLLA Sanitation whom develop and implement sustainable closed loop water and sanitation concepts based on space in developing countries, separating different water streams and recovering important resources.

Dear Hussam

I am not sure if I am allowed to say brand names on the forum. But the plant that we are installing is a pilot, which will treat 10m3 of fecal sludge per day. We will scale up to 50m3 per day. 

Te plant itself is a digester of 20 days and a digester lagoon of 80 days, which is included to decontaminate the digestate. 

If you want additional information please let me know.

kind regards,

Esther

• allan

Hi Esther,that is Avery good job ,can I know the type of sludge digester you going to use

• Esthervl
  • Implementation special at SEMiLLA Sanitation whom develop and implement sustainable closed loop water and sanitation concepts based on space in developing countries, separating different water streams and recovering important resources.

Re: Developing a solution for the expensive continuous desludging of black water from cesspits of refugee camps in Lebanon

Dear Hussam,

I am working on a project in Uganda that will pilot in December. There we are going to empty pitlatrines in a refugee camp, the contents of the latrines are going to be treated with a biodigester that produces biogas, compost and irrigation. Due to the products the project generates revenue.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Kind regards,

Esther

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Developing a solution for the expensive continuous desludging of black water from cesspits of refugee camps in Lebanon

Dear Hussam,
I've moved your post and one reply into a new thread to give it more attention (it was here before).
I am curious what the options are that you have considered or even trialled so far, apart from those enzymes?

When you say cesspits, do you mean septic tanks  or do you mean fully sealed holding tanks? Are we talking about faecal sludge or the actual sewage (blackwater) itself? Where do you take the material?
There are lots of options for faecal sludge treatment. The Wikipedia article on faecal sludge management could be a useful starting point and lead you to other publications on sludge treatment. But perhaps you don't need publications but rather contractors on the ground who can build and operate treatment units?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: Carol McCreary

• Dantugli
  • Founder and CEO at Alpha Ecotech LTD.

Hello Hussam,

I have been working on something lately. It requires that the wastewater be channeled through a biofiltration system before it is discharged into the drains. In Ghana, we have the biofil toile digester so I am thinking if it is connected to the septic tank to treat the overflowing wastewater so it can be discharged safely into the drains.

• HussamHawwa
    Topic Author

Developing a solution for the expensive continuous desludging of black water from cesspits of refugee camps in Lebanon

Dear All,

I have read the threads here with great interest as I was looking for the same researching and reaching this common conclusion that additives are a no-go. We have a new project with very tight timeline for developing a solution for the expensive continuous desludging of black water from cesspits of refugee camps in Lebanon an operation costing INGOs a fortune on yearly basis. We are exploring different options which can present a cost effective and technically viable solution.

Any recommendations on on-site or off-site dewatering and treatment options or contacts with successful experiences are highly appreciated. Willing to collaborate with potential partners.

Best Regards,
Hussam

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds