Wet toilet options (pour flush latrines) for flood prone areas? Raised VIP latrines or Fossa Alterna in Pacific Island Countries, like Fiji?

11.1k views

Page selection:
  • kdrakeford
  • Topic Author
  • MSc Water and Environmental Management from WEDC. My dissertation was focused on climate-resilient WASH in rural Fiji. Previously been engaged as a consultant with UN-Habitat's Fiji Resilient Informal Settlements project. Currently working as a civil society engagement project manager for Tetra Tech in Fiji.

Re: Wet toilet options (pour flush latrines) for flood prone areas? Raised VIP latrines or Fossa Alterna in Pacific Island Countries, like Fiji?

Dear Paresh,

Thank you for this information.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: Wet toilet options (pour flush latrines) for flood prone areas? Raised VIP latrines or Fossa Alterna in Pacific Island Countries, like Fiji?

Dear Katie,
I am no expert in toilet technology, but anything that needs draining water to the earth may become dysfunctional during the floods. I am sure experts in emergency sanitation will direct you to appropriate resources.

Till then, attached is a presentation by Megh Pyne Abhiyaan (MPA), an organisation that has championed implementation of UDDTs in flood prone regions of Bihar, India. It is also available here . Alternatives mentioned in the presentation include one with facility to drain ablution water. MPA calls it 'phaydemand sauchalaya' (profitable toilet in Hindi) to convey savings on health expenditure post floods. The presentation also includes images other experiments including mounting them on cycle and tractor trolleys to make them mobile to be deployed during the floods.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: HarryTams

• kdrakeford
  • Topic Author
  • MSc Water and Environmental Management from WEDC. My dissertation was focused on climate-resilient WASH in rural Fiji. Previously been engaged as a consultant with UN-Habitat's Fiji Resilient Informal Settlements project. Currently working as a civil society engagement project manager for Tetra Tech in Fiji.

Wet toilet options (pour flush latrines) for flood prone areas? Raised VIP latrines or Fossa Alterna in Pacific Island Countries, like Fiji?

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has any practical examples of wet toilet design options for flood prone areas? I am particularly interested if there is evidence of pour flush toilets to raised alternating lined pits which drain to a raised infiltration trench?

Thanks!
The following user(s) like this post: HarryTams

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds