Compiling a global compendium of dry sanitation systems

Page selection:
  • AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Re: Compiling a global compendium of dry sanitation systems

Dear Ms Elizabeth  and Karlin, SuSanA Members:

Sr No. 14: Clivus Multrum has been in service since long, may be well proven to perform in service.

All the best to get the most sustainable solution to this waste problem..

Well wishes 
Prof Ajit Seshadri 
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Hi Karlin,

Welcome to the SuSanA discussion forum! When I look at your list, I see many composting toilets in there. This contradicts your definition of "to move the waste through a treatment compartment where it is dried or desiccated". I've copied just the names of the toilets from your Excel file below:

1 EcoSan
2 Enviro loo
3 Savvyloo
4 ZerH2O
5 Waterless improved sanitary Ecoloo (WISE)
6 Drysan waterless and urine diversion toilet system
7 Ecodomeo
8 Kazuba
9 Otji Toilet
10 Biolet
11 Rota-loo
12 SunMar
13 Phoenix
14 Clivus Multrum
15 Green Toilet
16 Biolan
17 Farmstyle Waterless Composting Toilet
18 Ekolet
19 Bio-lux
20 Eco Tech Carousel
21 Nature Loo

So I am wondering if you're including composting toilets in your list? They don't dry & desiccate. Also, I am wondering what your list is for exactly? Just curious.

I guess it's related to this post by Ellen on "Incineration toilets - a short compendium of incineration toilet systems currently on the market or still in development":
forum.susana.org/comparisons-of-various-...still-in-development

Regards,
Elisabeth

P.S. A while ago, I set up a Wikipedia article on dry toilets. See here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_toilet
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear Researcher Karvin.
We have been consolidating an arrangement termed as C O D.
Pl peruse my earlier docs..
Ajit 
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• Karlin
  • Topic Author

Good day. Sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for informing me about your system it is very interesting but we were looking for stand alone toilets that have potential to be used at individual households as well as for communal sanitation.
Regards
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• kimgerly
  • To be a transformative leader and change agent for rebranding waste as a resource, and developing and implementing innovative and agile eco-sanitation service options for application in the built/urban environment.

Since your Subject included the operative 'Systems', I felt compelled to share this offering.

www.kailashecovillage.org/ecologicalsanitation

Kailash Ecovillage has an innovative model of ecological sanitation, also called ecosan.

In Spring 2019 Portland’s Alternative Technology Review Committee approved our proposal for a specific design of a community ecological sanitation system modeled after new state of the art  building codes. In Summer 2019 we received the actual permit through the city of Portland for a composting toilet and urine diversion system for all our living units. This has allowed us to process human excreta (pee, poo) into sanitized compost and urine. This helps us to build better topsoil and has allowed our gardens to become self sufficient in nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, and other trace elements. While ours is a community system, Portland has also permitted systems for single family dwellings.

Urination Station Schematic is attached.

Here is a recently published research article on our system, putting our project in a world context and highlighting its simplicity, low cost, excellent performance, and ability to enhance emergency preparedness. This equitable ecosan solution is designed, like bicycles, for anyone and anywhere on the planet. iwaponline.com/bgs/article/1/1/33/69034/...ect-converting-human

Eventually, we plan to transition all flush toilets to composting toilets. We are currently working out how this can best be accomplished. Once this is accomplished, all sewage from Kailash would be grey water.
out thinking the box | poopologist | hope & trimethylxanthine addict | solving spherical cow problems | fluid mechanics | heat transfer | communicating complex technical topics in basic terms that anyone can understand
Attachments:

• Karlin
  • Topic Author

Compiling a global compendium of dry sanitation systems

Hi All,
We are working with the Water Research Commission in South Africa, to compile a global compendium of dry sanitation systems. In the context of our study dry sanitation toilets refer to "systems that collect human excrement and use a waterless conveyance system to move the waste through a treatment compartment where it is dried or desiccated". This will exclude toilets such as VIP toilets and urine diversion toilets as there is no conveyance mechanism as well as Container-Based Sanitation (CBS) systems where waste is containerized safely at the toilet and then transferred off-site for treatment.

The goal is to compile a list of systems that dry/treat waste so that it can be safely buried on site, used as soil improver or sent to landfill if necessary. Systems still in development are acceptable as well but should have at least a lab tested prototype.

Attached is the list of systems we have already compiled. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Karlin Naidoo

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: Retowey

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds