Why was this discussion forum started?
The idea for this open discussion forum on sanitation came from our experience that when you want to buy a new printer or have a question about your child’s development: where do you get advice from? You put your question into a search engine and you end up reading other people’s postings on a discussion forum. Usually, those questions and answers are very helpful. The same can hold true for a discussion forum on sanitation issues. This is why the Sustainable Sanitation Alliance (SuSanA) secretariat launched this discussion forum on 8 July 2011.
The Forum makes knowledge, ideas, and debates around sustainable sanitation accessible to everyone within the network and beyond. Its objectives are to accelerate learning within the sanitation sector, to facilitate sharing of knowledge, to help people to network within the SuSanA community, and to ensure people outside of the sector can find SuSanA and good sanitation content via internet.
Who is financing the administration and moderation of this discussion forum?
- The discussion forum is administered by the SuSanA secretariat at the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH in Eschborn, Germany who receive funds by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) to operate the SuSanA secretariat since early 2007.
- From 2012 until 2018, co-funding for the discussion forum was provided by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation via a grant to Stockholm Environment Institute.
- From November 2019 onwards funding for the forum moderation was provided by WSSCC via a grant to Skat Foundation.
- From April 2020 onwards, the moderation of the forum sub-category on Faecal Sludge Management (FSM) is supported by a staff member of the FSMA (Faecal Sludge Management Alliance).
Where can I find out more about the forum?
What are the main characteristics of this forum?
- The forum is completely open as opposed to some existing closed fora which require a login for reading other people's posts. Our forum only requires a login for writing posts.
- All posts are searchable by search engines like Google and Yahoo.
- All registered users can contribute to the forum by creating new discussion topics or by responding to the posts of others.
- When people register to become a SuSanA member they are automatically also registered for the SuSanA Discussion Forum and vice versa. This means that all registered forum users are also SuSanA members.
- The rules for using the forum and our common understanding how this forum works are explained here.
What are my options to subscribe to e-mail alert services?
- The options for setting up various e-mail alert services for SuSanA members are explained here.
- If you prefer using your favourite RSS-feedreader you can also directly subscribe to the RSS feed
- If you do not want to have a SuSanA login you can subscribe to a notification service by "Feedburner". Please enter your e-mail address below and you will be notified by e-mail of new posts from the last 24 hours.
Last updated: 29 April 2020