Pit emptying (Gulper and others)

25.1k views

Page selection:
  • Dave
  • Water and Sanitation Engineer, based in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Pit emptying - NCSU Auger testing

Hi Steve

Tate Rogers and Walt Beckwith arrived late last night. Today they have assembled and tested the auger on our pig slurry in the yard. Tomorrow they will start with pour flush pits, which I expect they will manage easily. The only thing to check will be to what extent the sludge flows to the auger and to what extent the auger has to be manhandled around. Then later tomorrow and Thursday they move on to VIPs or increasing difficulty.

Their machine is very professionally made. The hydraulic drive is a great idea, as it keeps the auger weight down. They also have plastic auger flights, which are off the shelf items where they come from.

Watch this space!

Dave
Regards

Dave
Attachments:
You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • I'm passionate about SuSanA's role in the WASH sector since about 2005. I'm a freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Captiva Africa-Water for People Launch Gulper Technology

For those who have been "watching this space" since Dave's last post on 19 March 2013 (scrol up), the test results are now available here on the forum:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/99-fae...nd-south-africa#4254
(please continue the discussion there)

It's about the work of Tate Rogers and others from North Carolina State University who have tested their hydraulically powered auger to empty pit latrines near Pietermaritzburg in South Africa.
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Independent consultant located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Twitter: @EvMuench
Founder of WikiProject Sanitation: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Sanitation
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
The following user(s) like this post: Doreen
  • FrancisdelosReyes
  • I am a professor and environmental engineer at NC State University, USA. I am interested in wastewater treatment, WASH, microbial ecology.

Re: Small scale pit emptying using manual and machine

Mana, please contact me by email- perhaps we can try out the auger in Ethiopia.

Francis
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

++++++++++
Note by moderator (EvM): Just for everyone's information in case you don't know yet: you can contact anyone on the forum by e-mail if you click on the CONTACT button that is below the person's photo on the left of the post. This button is only visible after logging in because this service is only available to logged-in users.
Francis de los Reyes III
Professor/TED Fellow
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds