Modified treadle pump (pit pump) prototype - peddle powered gulper modification (Malawi)

24.1k views

Page selection:
  • willychipeta
    Topic Author
  • Working towards improved FSM

Re: Pit Pump prototype testing

Hi Nicola,

Sorry for the late reply due to absence as I attended FSM 3 Conference.*

I wrongly uploaded the video but have uploaded it on you tube (link:
)

As regards your other areas for clarification, the focus has been on one aspect primarily the operational side in terms of operator use of the technology. This has been done to develop the technology in phases. We have only trialled it on mud slurry and the valves were coping very well as the flow rates noted so far were negligible hence looking into ways to improve.

The suction hose used was 50 mm as provided for irrigation purposes. But the size is to be changed after further analysis considering density variances and presence of trash as found in faecal sludge.

Please do share with me progress you are having with the Rammer

Willy Chipeta.

* See Willy's presentation here: www.susana.org/images/documents/07-cap-d.../3-3-2-1Chipeta2.pdf
williamC

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • willychipeta
    Topic Author

Re: Presentation on Development of Pit Desludging Technology in peri urban Mzuzu (FSM 3, Hanoi, Vietnam)

Hi,

For all interested in development of pit desludging technologies, please find attached presentation made at FSM 3, Hanoi, Vietnam attached for review. More suggestions are welcome.

Some of the issues raised included size of the suction hose used which was 50 mm. It was observed that this size can easily blocked. Another observation was on operating mechanism as trialled with cycle motion was thought as being energy inefficient rather than conventional treadling which uses weight as added advantage.

These observation made are currently being incorporated in third phase design of the prototype that shall be trialled on simulated sludge (5 pits) according to Radford formula and 30 actual pit emptying tests within peri urban Mzuzu.

The observations made helped in refining the concept towards development of a potentially viable technology for pit emptying in peri urban Mzuzu.

More suggestions and or questions are welcome.

Video link below:-

williamC

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• nicolag
  • Sanitation Engineer - Consultant

Hi Willy

Can't see that video but would love to.

You are focusing a lot on the pumping mechanism on the user side - does this mean you are quite happy with the method of emptying on the pit side or just choosing to improve one aspect?

What width pipe are you using and how are the valves coping with the waste?

Our work on the Rammer has paused over christmas but we're back to it now. We found that the blockages were relatively easily unclogged but the procedure of getting the rammer in and out to do the unblocking was a massive hassle.

We were also struggling with making a device with extendable length. We were concentrating on being able to get to the bottom of the pit, but our extensions made it almost impossible to empty the top of the pit.

Nicola

• willychipeta
    Topic Author

At Mzuzu University we are undertaking research on solutions to pit desludging in urban informal settlements in Mzuzu city in the Northern part of Malawi. The research is funded by Water Research Commission.

As part of this research, my focus is development of pit emptying technology. To this end modification of treadle pump technology is investigated. The second prototype of the Pit Pump (modified treadle pump) has been completed with changes made after the first phase review and mud slurry test undertaken then. The issues noted included half cycle motion was tedious and resulted in awkward operation than envisioned design of a foot operated prototype that can possibly be less straining on the body that other existing technologies.

Hence in the second phase of the prototype incorporated a full cycle motion as done in conventional bicycle cycling making operations potentially simpler than in the first phase design.

Additionally, in the second phase design a motorbike chain was added as the bicycle chain kept breaking off when simulated cycle motion were attempted. Therefore it is envisioned that this addition will bring about more stability to allow more rigorous tests of the second prototype. Tests on mud slurry were then attempted but it was found that the welder had left out some bolts that held the base frame tightly hence experienced leakages of the mud slurry making accurate determination of flow rates not attainable.

See attached video of work in progress of prototype development and send me any comments and or ideas on more improvements needed as the testing continues

Willy Chipeta

Masters Student.
[attachment:1]WILLY.wmv[/attachment]
williamC

• willychipeta
    Topic Author

Modified treadle pump (pit pump) prototype - peddle powered gulper modification (Malawi)

Note by moderator: This thread is related to this research project:
forum.susana.org/component/kunena/99-fae...ty-and-policy-issues

See also related thread here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/99-fae...i-urban-mzuzu-malawi

++++++++++++

My name is Willy Chipeta and I am 28 years old and pursuing a Master of Science in Sanitation by Research through the Department of Water Resource Management and Development at Mzuzu University in Malawi. I started the program in February 2014 and plan to finish by December 2015.

In 2013, the Centre of Excellence in Water and Sanitation was awarded a research project on “Solutions for Pit Desludging and Subsequent Sludge Management in Low income Urban Settlements in Malawi” with support from the Water Resource Commission (South Africa). Through this project, the Centre has offered me a scholarship opportunity working towards developing innovative tools and techniques for emptying, transport and treatment of pit sludge at a small scale working towards overcoming the great deal of challenges in this sector.

The main focus of my research study will be investigation on design and development of low cost technologies for pit emptying in low income urban settlements of Mzuzu City found in the Northern Region of Malawi. It is envisioned the benefits of undertaking the investigation can offer varying opportunities.

The opportunities of technology include enabling access to high density peri-urban areas and safe removal of human excreta at a more affordable cost than is the case with existing technologies. Therefore the aim is to ensure continued use of sanitary facilities as well as reduce public health risks arising from improper human excreta management in the urban environment.

To this end, a modified treadle pump (pit pump) prototype has been developed in pursuance of the aforementioned opportunities. Instead of using a rope, a chain similar to the one used in a bicycle will be used to drive the pulley. The length of the pump will be reduced to make it portable to carry to site.

The dual advantage of this design is it can enable pumping from outside the latrine, decreasing potential contact with fecal sludge by pit emptiers and ensuring their safety from possible collapse of latrine while pumping. Materials can also be manufactured locally to ensure sustainable operation and maintenance.

I welcome your comments and suggestions on my technology, and look forward to meeting many of you at FSM3 in January 2015
williamC
Attachments:

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds