2 66.7%
via email only
1 33.3%
Total number of voters: 3
Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • jkeichholz
    Topic Author

Re: Working groups public or private?

While playing with the forum software, I also discovered the HIDE functionality right here on the editor:

Just click on the "hide text from guests" icon from the menu bar in the editor above and paste your secret message in between these two tags. The result will be that the message is only accessible for logged-in users (and doesn't show up on Google & Co.).

Part of the message is hidden for the guests. Please log in or register to see it.

This could be a solution to the above mentioned problem where some discussions are preferred to be shared in a private area.

But still, I would appreciate everyone's vote on this as we need to find a solution soon. My main aim is to have as many readers and contributors as possible on this forum, and I believe that this forum is much better in terms of open knowledge management than a group on e.g. LinkedIn.

ps.: hidded vs. hidden - sigh...
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
www.saniblog.org

Toilets in Frankfurt/Main www.facebook.com/ffmtoi
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: Working groups public or private?

Thanks, Juergen, I am also interested to hear what people think about this.

Just to make it easier to grasp what you mean, I have set up an example for working group 5. You can now access a "members only" area for working group 5 when you go to the front page and scrol to the bottom. There is now an area called "for logged-in people only". The top category is visible even when you are not logged in. But when you click on it, you have to log in to see the content.

See here:
forum.susana.org/forum/categories/72-int...gged-in-persons-only

(see the difference when you are logged in or when you are not logged in). As an example, I have made a posting for WG 5 which was on request of Hakan only for logged-in people.

Personally, I would like to have both: an open area of the working groups as well as a closed area. Then people can pick whichever they prefer when they make a posting within their working group (i.e. I can decide: do I want my posting to be found by google or not).

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• jkeichholz
    Topic Author

Working groups public or private?

Dear fellow SuSanA partners,
you may know that I am sometimes helping the SuSanA secretariat on a few IT issues (in my capacity as SuSanA member with saniblog.org) and we recently had this internal discussion on the public nature of the forum - which we like and appreciate - versus a locked-down area on the forum for registered users only, including hidden posts that won't show up in Google & Co.

My reason for this post/poll is that I would like to know from all of you how you'd like to see these working groups operating:
  • on the forum, in full public presence with transparent discussions, or
  • on the forum, in a locked-down/private area that isn't indexed by Google & Co.,or
  • via email only
  • Providing both options in parallel i.e. open or closed

Any feedback on this is highly appreciated!

Edit: I just tried to edit the poll questions, but that isn't possible. Please add your comments on this thread if you think your preferred setup isn't included here.
Option number d) would have been "Providing both options in parallel i.e. open or closed".
Juergen Eichholz
watsan eng.
water, sanitation, IT & knowledge management
www.saniblog.org

Toilets in Frankfurt/Main www.facebook.com/ffmtoi

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds