Peepoos in emergency situations - e.g. after Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippes

23k views

Page selection:
  • Mona
  • Industrial designer with great interest in social innovations. Together with GIZ I designed the MoSan household toilet. Currently based in Zurich.

Re: Peepoos in emergency situations and example of Peepoos at a school in Kibera, Nairobi, Kenya

Dear Julius,
the plastic bag idea sounds very promising! A while ago I came across Loowatt, a UK based organization who invented the technology for it!

www.loowatt.com/toilets/

best,
Mona
MoSan - Mobile Sanitation
is.gd/mobilesanitation
The following user(s) like this post: JKMakowka
You need to login to reply
  • JKMakowka
  • Just call me Kris :)

Re: Peepoos in emergency situations and example of Peepoos at a school in Kibera, Nairobi, Kenya

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I had a look that the lowwatt toilet system before, but their "closed-source" (patents, IP etc) approach is a big obstacle for real scale-up.

Besides that, I think it just twists the plastic bags to "seal" them, which is ok for preventing smells, but will not make safe handling easier further down the road.
The way the system operates also makes it necessary for a special custom plastic bag tube which can not be easily sourced by generic plastic firms in countries of use.

A successful system should be in my opinion:
1. Open-source so that it can be cheaply produced by various companies
2. Securely seal the faeces so that they can be disposed off through the solid waste system if there is no proper collection in place (yet).
3. The "consumables" should be a simple as possible, e.g. a simple roll of plastic foil that many generic producers can offer on the market.
The following user(s) like this post: joeturner
  • joeturner

I'm not an engineer, but one would think that this wouldn't be too difficult to design.

Providing the faeces was seperated from the urine, surely all that is needed would be some kind of rotary motion to turn it in a cheap cling film. If necessary you could then have something which generated a small amount of heat (friction?) to seal the layers.

Not that I think this could be anything other than an extremely short-term solution, of course.
  • former member

Re: 37th WEDC Oxfam Peepoo presentation

Oxfam's presentation of Peepoo intervention during Haiyan* at the 37th WEDC International Conference in Hanoi can be found below or on:
www.peepoople.com//wp-content/uploads/20...poo-presentation.pdf

For more details on Peepoo please contact
Åsa Angelino (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)
Erik Josephsson (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.)

* Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippes, see also en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Haiyan (note added by moderator EvM)

++++++++
Note by moderators: This post was made by a former user with the login name asaangelino who is no longer a member of this discussion forum.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.223 seconds