Looking for Technical Guidance to Set up FSTP plants in North East Part of India.

Page selection:
  • canaday
  • A biologist working toward sustainability

Re: Looking for Technical Guidance to Set up FSTP plants in North East Part of India.

Hi Javed,

Rain and flooding are obviously serious problems, but not unsurmountable, with:
  • higher dikes (planted with shrubs to prevent erosion),
  • lagoons for storing the treated effluent until it is needed for irrigation, and
  • possible greenhouse roofs to keep the rain out of the Planted Drying Beds.
Floating plants could be placed on these lagoons to:
  • provide additional treatment,
  • control any possible odors, and
  • produce additional products, which could include:
    --animal forrage,
    --human food (e.g., Water Spinach) that would be cooked before consumption, and
    --mulch for agriculture.
Also, to the degree that it is possible, FS could be treated during the dry season, when rain would not disturb the treatment and the effluent is needed for irrigation.Compared to other alternatives, the Nature-based Solutions that I propose should:
  • be more cost-effective and resilient over time,
  • require essentially no chemicals or electricity (aside from some pumping depending on the terrain),
  • have a much lower environmental footprint, and
  • produce higher-value products for the local economy.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nature-based_solutions

Best wishes,
Chris
Conservation Biologist and EcoSan Promoter
Omaere Ethnobotanical Park
Puyo, Pastaza, Ecuador, South America
inodoroseco.blogspot.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • javedsaikia
    Topic Author
  • Social Entrepreneur working for a Better Tomorrow

Re: Looking for Technical Guidance to Set up FSTP plants in North East Part of India.

Hi Sanjay,

Thanks for your reply! 

I will call you to discuss more about it.

Thanks and Regards,
Javed Saikia
Resolin Technologies 
www.resolintech.com 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

• javedsaikia
    Topic Author

Thanks Pawan Sir! We'll share requested information asap. 

Thanks and Regards,
Javed Saikia
Resolin Technologies 
www.resolintech.com 
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

• javedsaikia
    Topic Author

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions! We'll implement these suggestions for the Sludge Drying Beds. We are currently using MBBR Technology to treat the FS. Due to the torrential rain and flood in the NE of India, it's always a Huge challenge for anyone to provide a sustainable solution to the Liquid and Solid waste disposal issues. We would like to explore more Economically Viable options to treat the Sludge (Pathogen Free). We are thinking about the following options
  1. Pasteurisation
  2. Ionizing radiation
  3. Heat conditioning–dewatering
  4. Heat drying
  5. Digestion
Not sure about the cost for each of these processes. Any other suggestion would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Regards,
Javed Saikia
Resolin Technologies 
www.resolintech.com 

• canaday

Hi again Javed,

A new article was just published on these Planted Drying Beds, which can also be called Sludge Treatment Reed Beds. They looked at 72 studies across many different conditions in the world.

Sludge Treatment Reed Bed under different climates: A review using meta-analysis.  Amir Gholipour Rita Fragoso, Elizabeth Duarte, and   Ana Galvão Science of The Total Environment  Available online 27 June 2022, 156953
www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/ab...722040505?via%3Dihub

Amir shared this link on this Facebook page, where you can discuss Vertical-flow Wetlands:
www.facebook.com/groups/129268573775884/...p_activity&ref=notif

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: Fahim1988

• canaday

Hi Javed, 

I presume you have already read the Faecal Sludge Management book:
www.iwapublishing.com/printpdf/71180

I am quite familiar with it, as I translated it into Spanish:
www.iwapublishing.com/printpdf/71807

I consider the Planted Drying Bed to be one of the most practical and environmentally friendly options. I also think we can potentially be more creative about the plants that we plant in them. If we are worried about pharmaceuticals and other chemicals (incl. heavy metals) in the FS that possibly could get back into our food chain via forage for animals, plants that are used to weave mats, baskets, or furniture could be planted instead, including maybe different species of bamboo.

The Vermifilter  (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermifilter) is another very efficient, up-and-coming technology that has been implemented successfully in many parts of the world, including India. (I have not built any yet, but I want to.) This can be combined with the Planted Drying Bed, if compost worms are added to such a bed, as demonstrated in one presentation in this conference of the Innoqua Project:
i.ytimg.com/vi/a2M3TzgIUKo/hq720.jpg?sqp...DDG6Pcyu8O4WMed8530g

The final effluent may best be re-utilized via Subsurface Irrigation using perforated hoses or drip lines among fruit tree plantations, stands of large bamboo for use in construction, or native reforestation areas.

I hope this information is useful to you and I would be glad to review your plans and advances, if you like.

Best wishes,
Chris Canaday
inodoroseco.blogspot.com
The following user(s) like this post: samshancn, paresh, Fahim1988

• pkjha
  • Working for over 30 years in the fields of sanitation, biogas from human wastes, septage management, waste water treatment in rural as well as urban areas in India and other developing countries.

Dear Mr Javed
Congratulations for implementing the 1st FSTP in North East of India. For providing any guidance you may like to inform:
i. Capacity of the FSTP ( cum Per day treatment)
ii. your present cost ( CAPEX) and operational cost ( OPEX) per month/ year  of the FSTP you implemented.
iii. Present quality of effluent after treatment and intended quality in terms of BOD, COD, Nitrogen and coliform count.
iv.  Is there system of reuse of treated effluent or it will be safely disposed. If so, where- in nearby river or any water body. If so kindly mention.  
There are technologies being implemented in India. Selection of technology depends on the above basic information. Pl. provide. 

thanks 
Pawan
Pawan Jha
Chairman
Foundation for Environment and Sanitation
Mahavir Enclave
New Delhi 110045, India
Web: www.foundation4es.org
Linked: linkedin.com/in/drpkjha
The following user(s) like this post: goeco

• sanjayg111

Hi Javed, please connect (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 9717237111) with me on FSM. I have worked in Titabar on waste management. And i am looking for collaboration on FSM for ULBs. 

• javedsaikia
    Topic Author

Looking for Technical Guidance to Set up FSTP plants in North East Part of India.

We are currently working with different ULB’s in Assam, India to provide solutions for Solid and Liquid Waste. As part of Liquid Waste solutions, we have set up the a FSTP plant in Titabor, Assam ( A small town in Jorhat District . It's the 1st FSTP Plant in Assam State. 
We have plans to set up more FSTP plants across the Northeast part of India. We are currently using MBBR Technology. We would like to explore more alternative solutions to suit the North East Region. We are looking for any expert opinion and suggestions in this regard. Thanks in Advance! 
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: Fahim1988

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds