Systematic search for literature on FSM

• paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Systematic search for literature on FSM

Hello All.
Just curious what boundaries would members here suggest to make a systematic search of literature on FSM. I am considering the following boundaries
  • Key words: "safe sanitation"  OR  "safely managed sanitation"  OR "human feces" OR  "human faeces"  OR  "faecal sludge"  OR  "fecal sludge"  OR  "faecal waste"  OR  "fecal waste"  OR  "human waste"  OR  nightsoil  OR  "septic tank"  OR  "on-site sanitation"  OR  "pit latrine" OR  "pit emptying" OR desludging OR "de-sludging"
  • Period: 2014 and later (the year the FSM book was published) OR 2011 and later (last decade, also after the 1st FSM conference)
  • Language: English
  • Web of science and Scopus categories related to 6 disciplines: Engineering, Public health (not medicine), Environmental science, Economics, Planning, Social sciences (These are the major disciplines contributing to sanitation literature - Hyun et al., 2019 ) 
I don't think limiting by geography is a good idea as most of the literature is for the developing countries. I had earlier used the keyword 'excreta', but it added a lot of literature on related to excreta of animals and the number of search results increase manifold. 

Further, a lot of work especially in India is in the form of reports and presentations available on websites of respective organisations and/or SuSanA. Think I'll add that to the list, though one will need to find an easy way to do it. 

Currently, a search using above (without bounding by period) returns with ~2400 results on Web of science and ~2100 results on Scopus. I am sure there will be many duplicates. I am planning to add a similar search on PubMed

I'd be happy to receive suggestions (especially related to keywords) to not miss out important literature in this systematic search.

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
with financial support from WSSCC (now SHF)
You need to login to reply
  • rochelleholm
  • Manager and Associate Professor with the Centre of Excellence in Water and Sanitation at Mzuzu University (Malawi). To learn more about the Centre visit http://www.mzuniwatsan.com/ .

Re: Systematic search for literature on FSM

Here is how we did a systematic search for literature on FSM in our most recent work:

A dataset of values of FS was collected from any papers found that stated a financial value of re-using FS. An initial focused group of key documents was identified using the knowledge hub of the sustainable sanitation alliance (SuSanA). SuSanA is a network for individuals and organisations working in sanitation; a combination of publication hub, grey literature and discussion forum providing the latest state of knowledge of the sector [16 ]. Searches were additionally performed within Scopus, Google Scholar and the Water Engineering and Development Centre at Loughborough University knowledge—a forum holding conference papers, publications and reports for policymakers and practitioners in the water and sanitation sector [17 ]. Terms used included ‘sanitation as a business’, ‘financial value excreta’, ‘circular economy sanitation’, ‘faecal sludge reuse’, ‘resource recovery sanitation’ and ‘excreta resource recovery’. The review process only considered examples from countries defined as low or middle income by the World Bank [18 ]. Papers were filtered by whether or not they presented any financial data about the FS reuse potential in low-income countries. Papers presenting financial data were reviewed and are summarised in Table 1 . The upstream technology used (sewers, Container-Based Sanitation [CBS], septic tanks or pit latrines) was also recorded to see if it influenced the value of the product recovered. The majority of the cases looked at FS either from on-site sanitation, defined as systems where the excreta is stored on the plot where generated, such as pit latrines, or septic tanks [19 ]. Of these, 45% of the papers surveyed were published in 2015 or later and 83% had been published since 2010. Where businesses practising resource recovery were known but financial data about reuse could not be found, or needed clarification,

Mallory, A., Holm, R. and Parker, A. A Review of the Financial Value of Faecal Sludge Reuse in Low-Income Countries. Sustainability, 2020, 12, 8334. DOI: 10.3390/su12208334  https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/12/20/8334
Rochelle Holm, Ph.D., PMP
Centre of Excellence in Water and Sanitation
Mzuzu University (Malawi)
The following user(s) like this post: paresh
  • paresh
    Topic Author
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: Systematic search for literature on FSM

Thanks Rochelle for pointing me out to this well written paper. I am keen on understanding the process that went behind deciding the list of key words. Did you decide to drop a keyword because the results become unwieldy? (like 'excreta' in my search)

Also curious about inclusion of google scholar. It has the most extensive search results, but it doesn't allow easy filtering out or bounding the search thereby making it unmanageable. The search with the key words mentioned in my previous post returns with ~20 thousand items including ~15k after 2014.  

Regards
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum
with financial support from WSSCC (now SHF)
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds