Poster: Faecal Sludge Management in India: A case study of semi-urban area in Maharashtra

Page selection:
  • lbeensi
  • Technical Inspector (Sanitation) working at the country's Regulatory Agency for Water and Sanitation Service providers, The National Water Supply and Sanitation Council (NWASCO), Zambia

Re: Poster

This is a quiet an interesting topic of my liking. I am writing you from Zambia and we are just in the process of recognizing, appreciating and regulating FSM through the various water and sanitation companies that are operating in the country.. The main reason why we decided to take this course is the protection of ground water, public and environmental health. We thus launched regulatory frameworks for urban onsite sanitation and FSM in 2017 and have started operating two FSTP in the capital city, Lusaka. Two more large scale FSTPs will be constructed in the next one or two years. Recognition of private emptiers (Both ilegal and regulated) has been done and under the new operating licenses issued by the regulator, it requires that these private companies will be operating under the license issued to the commercial utility by the Regulator. The regulator will also issue a special permit to the private emptiers to enhance regulation.

Kindly share your report so that I can learn how the system is operating, regulated and what are some of the end use products of FSM
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

I agree with you, Sir. I am working with same objective.
I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.

• Temple
  • Temple is a Water and Environmental Engineer, currently practicing as an International Development Consultant with special focus on WASH consultancy services. Temple is the Program Coordinator of Nigeria Young Water Professionals and the Co-Lead of Leave-No-One-Behind Group at Rural Water Supply Network (RWSN)

Hi Chandana,

This is an interesting topic. If we actually need a holistic assessment of open defecation, then FSM should be thoroughly considered, because the way it is managed, determines if a community or region is actually ODF.

Please can you assist me with your guide for the studies?
Temple Chukwuemeka Oraeki
WASH Consultant
The following user(s) like this post: Chandana

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear SuSana Member - Ms. Chandana

These subjects you are currently working on are very important for most habitats - both at rural and urban regions.

While at villages, the spaces available are more open and if planned well can be sustained. The main aim should be to allcate all wastes turned to resources and re used in situ .
This mechanism ensures the local environment to be clean and clear.

Well wishes,
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India

• Chandana
    Topic Author
  • I am a Environmental Engineer, currently pursing PhD in Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. I am working on Faecal Sludge Management for a town. I am looking for collaboration to provide solution for FSM by experimental investigation on FS from different onsite containment and paper publications.

Poster

Dear All,

I have recently presented a poster in workshop on "URBAN & RURAL CHALLENGES IN MANAGEMENT OF SOLID WASTE IN INDIA:
A CIRCULAR ECONOMY APPROACH TO BUILDING SMART HABITATS''

Please find the attachment below.
I have completed my BE in civil engineering with a distinction in 2011.
From 2011-2013 I worked as a software engineer in IBM.
later I completed my master in environmental engineering in NIT Warangal . My Mtech thesis was done in NEERI, Nagpur on "Indoor air pollution in micro-environments".
In 2015. I joined academics as Assistant professor and worked on issues like the design of landfill, MSW management, Air pollution, Decontamination of geomaterials, etc.
Currently, I am doing my PhD in faecal sludge management.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri, Temple

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds