FSM5 Update: submissions for Journal of Environmental Management

45.7k views

Page selection:
  • paresh
  • Budding WASH researcher, especially interested in governance, public policy, finance, politics and social justice. Architect, Urban & Regional planner by training, Ex. C-WAS, India. I am a patient person :)

Re: FSM5 Update: submissions for Journal of Environmental Management

Has anybody downloaded FSM5 conference abstracts or has access to them? I need them to do some analysis of FSM literature. I tried to check the link shared by Shobana earlier (in her post dated 20th March 2020), but it no more exists.  

Here's the link to the app.
as5fsm5.com/app/

I can start with the list of accepted abstracts (again shared earlier by Shobana in this thread), but worry people often present more than what the title suggests and abstracts would give a better idea. 

Many thanks
paresh
Paresh Chhajed-Picha
Researcher at Indian Institute of Technology - Bombay, India
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Twitter: @Sparsh85
Wikipedia: Sparsh85

Co-moderator of this discussion forum

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • EMary
  • A researcher by profession. Experienced in content creation, research, training and project management and coordination in the Sanitation sector.

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hello Dorothee,

It looks like the JEM announcement board has been updated. Please find the call for paper attached here. 

Have asked the JEM about reposting the announcement. 

Best,

Eva
Eva Mary

Program Coordinator
Programs and Administration
Faecal Sludge Management Alliance
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• dorothee.spuhler
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Hi Eva
Thank you for this update. Could you please share again the link for the call for paper for this special issues (I was unable to find it online)?
Thanks, Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• EMary
  • A researcher by profession. Experienced in content creation, research, training and project management and coordination in the Sanitation sector.

Hello All,

The FSM5 Call for Papers to the special edition has been extended to 30th September 2020. 

Please follow the submission guidelines for the Journal and use "FSM5" under article type.

Best,

Eva
Eva Mary

Program Coordinator
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) like this post: csk

• EMary

I am sorry that the email did not reach you Lars. It is unfortunate and we will also double check if there are any errors from the systems on our side as well. I encourage you and others to submit your papers as soon as you can, the dead-line from the Journal is now until 30th of June, 2020. I hope the additional 30 days will help everyone submit their papers. 

Yes, the special issue by the Journal of Environment Management was announced by them on the 1st of February.

Any further comments or updates from the editorial team from the journal will be posted here.

Best,

Eva
Eva Mary

Program Coordinator

• Lars
  • consultant, engineer, researcher, data enthusiast, #rstats

Thank you, Eva. I trust that emails were sent out, but, I haven't received them and it's possible that this is an issue with my email service provider. I will contact all co-authors and colleagues to see whether emails were received on their end.

EMary wrote:
All the authors who presented at FSM5 did receive the call for the journal. Could you elaborate which presentation is it that you were talking about?

Eva

Specifically, this presentation "Development of Tools for Efficient Remote Monitoring of Faecal Sludge Treatment Units", which I submitted myself with my email address as the correspondence. There are a range of other oral presentations by my colleagues that were accepted, but it's likely that my email address was not added. I will follow up with them directly.

I have discovered the official announcement by the Journal of Environmental Management for this Special Issue. Was this published on the 1st of February when "Start of Submission" opened?

• EMary

Dear Lars,

All the authors who presented at FSM5 did receive the call for the journal. Could you elaborate which presentation is it that you were talking about?
Please find the FSM5 agenda for your reverence here;

fsm5.susana.org/images/AS5-FSM5-agenda-19-021219.pdf

Email announcements for the calls were not sent out to all the abstracts that were received for FSM5 and were limited to oral presentations due to the special edition limit of 40. 

Best,

Eva
Eva Mary

Program Coordinator

• Lars
  • consultant, engineer, researcher, data enthusiast, #rstats

Thank you for the response, Eva. I had submitted an abstract through the platform and the corresponding email was my email address. Unfortunately, I haven't received any emails with regards to this opportunity and also cannot find them in my spam folders.

EMary wrote:
In your case Lars, the emails were sent to the two first authors whose emails were sent with the conference abstract.

Could you elaborate on this, please? I don't fully understand.

• AjitSeshadri
  • Marine Chief Engineer by profession (1971- present) and at present Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, Chennai, India. Also proficient in giving Environmental solutions , Designation- Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Head- Environment, The Vigyan Vijay Foundation, NGO, New Delhi, INDIA , Consultant located at present at Chennai, India

Dear SuSanA Members - Kun ChengShikun, EvaMary et all.

When you find deadline is too near, you would have to rush with your compilation for submission Etc.
Always ensure that sufficient time is afforded for collation of data and compilation of inferences and findings Etc.

Your submission may be late for imminent event, but it is on time for the next opportune requirement.
After all, subject - WASH needs to be dealt with assuredly  in communities.

A well compiled paper with right findings is worth millions.  "Always ensure it is done apt  !"

With well wishes to Researchers, 
Prof. Ajit Seshadri, Faculty in Marine Engg. Deptt. Vels University, and
Head-Environment , VigyanVijay Foundation, Consultant (Water shed Mngmnt, WWT, WASH, others)Located at present at Chennai, India
The following user(s) like this post: ddiba, EMary

• csk
  • I work on the toilet, sanitation, biogas, FSM, environmental science and engineering, and I hope to contribute to the toilet revolution in China and in the global. I am happy to share Chinese WASH story.

Thanks, Eva. 

We are from China, and we work on FSM in China. We have Ph.D. and master students working on this. I had informed them about this information. 

However, as we were not available to join FSM5 last year. We missed the information in the beginning. We have much information, hope to be shared about FSM scenarios in China. 

If the submission deadline could be extended, we would have enough time to prepare a scientific article about FSM. 

Looking forwards to hearing from you. 

Kind regards

Shikun
Shikun Cheng,
Associate professor, Ph.D
Center for Sustainable Environmental Sanitation (CSES)
Department of Environmental Science and Engineering
University of Science and Technology Beijing (USTB)
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• EMary

Thank you Shikun for your query on the change of deadline for submission. 

I would like to ask @TinaVelkushanova to weigh-in on this.

Thanks,

Eva
Eva Mary

Program Coordinator
The following user(s) like this post: AjitSeshadri

• EMary

Thank you Lars for your questions!

Regarding 

1. I have looked up the  guidelines of the Journal  . Under 'Submission Details', an  author checklist  can be accessed. Under '20) Manuscript length:' I see three types of articles that can be submitted. (1) Full length article (< 8000 words); (2) Short communication (< 3500 words); (3) Literature review (< 20000 words). Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought that we are supposed to submit the FSM5 abstract as submitted to  fsm5.susana.org/en/  . Are we required to rewrite the abstract into a complete research article that fits one of these categories?

The FSM5 organisers have been able to link with the Journal to publish full papers of the oral presentations given at the conference. The paper could be in the three formats you mentioned, (1) Full length article (< 8000 words); (2) Short communication (< 3500 words); (3) Literature review (< 20000 words). Since the publication would be open to anyone who obtains the Journal, it should provide the complete story of the abstract and the presentation as given at FSM or with additional data. In effect it should be a complete information article.  So you do NOT have to write an abstract but rather elaborate on your abstract in a paper to provide a detailed version, as provided in the oral presentation. For anyone who is a first-time author and requires more clarity or support, they are encouraged to contact FSMA via This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

2. How can someone submit a paper to this Special Edition without having been selected as a FSM5 presenter? I define presenter here as
anyone that has authored/co-authored an abstract that was selected for presentation at the conference.

The Journal partnership is to highlight the FSM sector work, and first preference was given to the FSM5 oral presenters. Emails were sent to all the authors in February, at the designated emails provided by the authors as the 'correspondence email'. Since not all the submission slots were taken up (out of the 40  available), the call became open to all. But still, if an FSM5 presenter submits, they will be given first preference.

3. How come that start of submission has been 1st February 2020 and acceptance is on a "first-come-first-serve basis", but this was shared for the first time now, leaving 6 weeks until the submission deadline?

As, said in the previous question, emails were sent out in February to all the authors from FSM5 at the email addresses provided by the presenters from This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. . Another email was sent from the FSM5 email address, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. in case the previous email was not received or has gone to the 'spam' folder as the publications slots wee not filled-up.  In your case Lars, the emails were sent to the two first authors whose emails were sent with the conference abstract. We are aware that this is not ideal and moving forward, we will make a few changes to address this issue on our abstract collection platform, but here we request you to check-in with your colleagues/co-authors.

4. Are those that submitted abstracts to the conference going to be informed by email that this opportunity exists? How would someone that does not actively monitor the SuSanA Forum get to know about this opportunity?

I think this has already been addressed. 

The low response rate from the FSM5 presenters were also of concern to us, and we would like to work with everyone here to ensure that communication is clear and the platforms are appropriate. 

Thank you!

Eva

Eva Mary

Program Coordinator

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds