Prototype Microflush-Biofil Toilet Facilities (Ghana Sustainable Aid Project, USA and Ghana)

• smecca
    Topic Author
  • It is said that you are what you think about every day; if that's the case, then I am a toilet!

Re: Prototype Microflush-Biofil Toilet Facilities (Ghana Sustainable Aid Project, USA and Ghana)

Dean, GSAP is a 501-C3 in the US and a NGO in Ghana. It's the MAKER enterprises that I refer to as sustainable. The latest paper on this will be published in June. I'll email a copy or link as soon as this happens...Steve

Stephen Mecca, Ph.D.
Professor
Department Engineering-Physics-Systems
S-Lab
Providence College
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Visiting Scholar
Department of Computer Engineering
Faculty of Engineering Science
University of Ghana

Project coordinator at Ghana Sustainable Aid Project:
www.ghanasustainableaid.org/
The following user(s) like this post: DianeKellogg
You need to login to reply
  • marrath
  • Currently I am writing my master thesis on sustainable sanitation in developing countries with a case study in Arba Minch, Ethiopia. My study program is: Civil Engineering and Water Management

Re: Prototype Microflush-Biofil Toilet Facilities (Ghana Sustainable Aid Project, USA and Ghana)

Dear Steve,

thank you for your reply. So if I understand correctly, the MAKERs are setting up their own enterprises and therefore need some funding in the beginning.
As to the toilet, do you have an idea on how to estimate the soil infiltration rate (or soil type) that is necessary in case of a gravel pit? I think you were saying in an earlier post that the toilet unit can be adapted to various environmental challenges (e.g. flooding, high groundwater level, high slopes, rocky ground). Is it possible to construct a raised version rather than in the ground in case of very hard/rocky soil?
How much space does the technology need, superstructure included?
How long would you estimate the lifetime of one toilet unit? What if water is commonly used for anal cleansing - is it appropriate in such a case? For users of different materials (e.g. soft paper or bulky, such as stones, paper of magazines), a waste bin is provided I guess?

These are all parameters in my assessment, would be great if you could provide some answers on that.

Kind regards,
Maria
  • smecca
    Topic Author
  • It is said that you are what you think about every day; if that's the case, then I am a toilet!

Maria,
Below are answers to your questions, which I've copied ;
Dear Steve,

thank you for your reply. So if I understand correctly, the MAKERs are setting up their own enterprises and therefore need some funding in the beginning.

...this is correct. Some new MAKERs have their own tool sets and with early sales can secure sufficient assets to get underway; however, we try to secure MAKER scholarships for those who have nothing to begin with. The scholarship/grant provides funds for a tool set and materials for their first two toilets.

As to the toilet, do you have an idea on how to estimate the soil infiltration rate (or soil type) that is necessary in case of a gravel pit?

.....One needs to handle a pit to handle up to 8 liters per day of filtrate

I think you were saying in an earlier post that the toilet unit can be adapted to various environmental challenges (e.g. flooding, high groundwater level, high slopes, rocky ground). Is it possible to construct a raised version rather than in the ground in case of very hard/rocky soil?

...it is often installed on the ground and, though it costs a bit more, filtrate processing can be installed so that it is effectively a closed toilet

How much space does the technology need, superstructure included?

...footprint is 3' x 6' with a 3' x 4' superstructure for the household version ..a bit larger for the school block stalls

How long would you estimate the lifetime of one toilet unit?

...there are replacable components and superstructures reflect local customs , conditions and materials.

the filter-digester should last 20 years What if water is commonly used for anal cleansing - is it appropriate in such a case?

...our toilets have been installed where anal cleansing is the norm. there is no constraint here.

For users of different materials (e.g. soft paper or bulky, such as stones, paper of magazines), a waste bin is provided I guess?

.. instructions are provided on what can go into the system and what should not go in.. tissue, paper are fine synthetics, cleansers, plastics should not go in. Let's chat if you there is more you would like to know. Good luck with your dissertation work.
..Steve

Stephen Mecca, Ph.D.
Professor
Department Engineering-Physics-Systems
S-Lab
Providence College
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Visiting Scholar
Department of Computer Engineering
Faculty of Engineering Science
University of Ghana

Project coordinator at Ghana Sustainable Aid Project:
www.ghanasustainableaid.org/
  • marrath
  • Currently I am writing my master thesis on sustainable sanitation in developing countries with a case study in Arba Minch, Ethiopia. My study program is: Civil Engineering and Water Management

Thanks for the information Steve, that's great. I will reach out to you if I need more information.
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.892 seconds