Nutrition in Ethiopia: An emerging success story? Better sanitation one cause of success?

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
    Topic Author
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Nutrition in Ethiopia: An emerging success story? Better sanitation one cause of success?

I saw this publication advertised on Sanitation Updates and it seems very interesting as it links nutrition gains with better sanitation (amongst other factors):

+++++
Nutrition in Ethiopia: An emerging success story? Author: Headey, Derek D.
Link: goo.gl/tmMCqX

Research does not always provide the results that we expect. At the recent conference on improving nutrition in Ethiopia, Together for Nutrition 2015, we learnt about the rapid progress in Ethiopia in child nutritional outcomes that are linked to improved birth size and, hence, improved maternal health. However, most of the improvement in maternal health seems related to better sanitation, rather than to diet, care, or health factors.

+++++++

This is the link to the 2-page synopsis:
ebrary.ifpri.org/utils/getfile/collectio.../filename/129477.pdf

And this is the link to the full report:
cdm15738.contentdm.oclc.org/utils/getfil.../filename/129107.pdf

I find it interesting that this is coming from two organisations which are not traditionally linked with the WASH sector:
INTERNATIONAL FOOD POLICY RESEARCH INSTITUTE and
ETHIOPIAN DEVELOPMENT RESEARCH INSTITUTE

The Ethiopia Strategy Support Program (ESSP) is financially supported by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the Department for International Development (DFID) of the United Kingdom. This publication has been prepared as an output of ESSP.

It makes me wonder how we could align ourselves or connect ourselves with them. E.g. it would be great to have one of their people in the SuSanA working group 12 on WASH and nutrition somehow.

Is there someone on this forum who is connected to Ethiopia and who can perhaps make this connection?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds