Addressing infrastructural barriers to MHM in schools to support inclusive and quality learning for all

22k views

Page selection:
  • Mintje

Re: Addressing infrastructural barriers to MHM in schools to support inclusive and quality learning for all

Dear Daniel,

yes, the two topics ('breaking the taboo' and 'adressing infrastructural barriers') are both covered in the one report, as they have interlinkages and cannot be looked at only independently.

I posted the report in both themes to make sure everyone, who participated in either of the themes receives the report in the end.

You can now also find the Synthesis Report in the SuSanA library (see here )

Best,
Mintje
Mintje Büürma

SuSanA Secretariat, SFD-PI Secretariat

Sector Program Sustainable Sanitation
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • dannyogwo
  • Champion gender advocacy, equality, non-discrimination and disabled social inclusion in WASH.....improve, promote & impacts lives..

Re: Addressing infrastructural barriers to MHM in schools to support inclusive and quality learning for all

Dear Mintje,
I wish to inquire if the two Thematic Discussion Series in published in one paper? Because the 2 pdf are just the same thing.

Daniel
Daniel Ifegwu Iroegbu

• Mintje

Dear all,

The synthesis of our thematic discussion on MHM in Schools is now available!

Attached please find the PDF. We will also upload it in the SuSanA library soon.

Thank you for your interest and participation!

Kind regards,
Mintje

This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Mintje Büürma

E This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Mintje

Dear discussion participants,

We are happy to announce that the synthesis report of our discussion on MHM in Schools is close to being published on SuSanA. Thank you again for your valuable inputs and the vivid discussion.

As you may know, we usually include a list of contributors, including information on their affiliation and country, at the end of the summaries of our thematic discussions.

As we are missing some of that information, we wanted to give you a chance to complete or correct your information.
Therefore, we kindly ask you to contact me (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) to provide the missing details.
We are happy to add this information to the report before publishing.

All requests for changes have to be provided by Sunday, August 13, 6 pm CST.

Please take a look at the following list:

Best,
Mintje
Mintje Büürma

Attachments:

• Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Dear Mintje,

I was just looking over older forum threads. I found your announcement of the upcoming synthesis report for this thematic discussion on "Addressing infrastructural barriers to MHM in schools to support inclusive and quality learning for all". Has it already been posted somewhere? Did I miss it?
If not, I look forward to seeing it soon, as it's such an important topic.

Kind regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/

• Mintje

Dear all,

I want to thank everyone, who participated in this enriching discussion!

We will oficially end the discussion now and start to prepare a Synthesis Report, that we will then share with you all.

Please don't hesitate to further continue the discussion nevertheless!

Thanks everyone!

Have a great weekend ahead!

Best regards,
Mintje
Mintje Büürma

• Bellamonse

This is a very interesting discussion. Most of the aforementioned infrastructural barriers to MHM in schools are strongly related to shame, existing taboos and silence around the topic. It is very encouraging to see the MHM movement around the globe and the vivid exchange of experience. The movement is impacting on policies and guidelines in the education, health and WASH Sector and implementation is starting in many countries. However, even the internet is accelerating this movement, changes will not happen over night, this is specifically true for taboos and cultural believes. As Muhammadwaseen mentioned in his post from Pakistan, touching the MHM taboo is very difficult because awareness raising and discussion about MHM is not wanted or appreciated by many parents (and teachers) in rural Pakistan. This is true for many countries around the globe.

It might be best start addressing infrastructural barriers which are not controversial and can be addressed in the school context: cleanliness, access to privacy, water, soap and trash bins.
Next steps from there should be access to information on MHM, which is best provided by the Ministry of Education which has the mandate and the opportunity to take the topic forward in a cultural sensitive way and reach the youth. The distribution of cultural appropriate brochures or booklets supports girls and boys to understand their puberty and the same booklets will help teachers (and parents) to gain knowledge and find words and a language to communicate about MHM.
The following user(s) like this post: RachelTTextiles, sarahfry, Mbaja

• muhoza221

Re: Taking Note of Pad Management in Schools

Dear Therese,

I think incineration is not a good option for sanitary pads disposal unless incinerators fulfills Incinerator Flue Gas Emission Standards.

I would rather urge research in biodegradable menstrual pads.

regards
MUHOZA J. Pierre
University of Science and Technology Beijing
Masters student in Environmental Engineering
The following user(s) like this post: RachelTTextiles, Mbaja

• dannyogwo
  • Champion gender advocacy, equality, non-discrimination and disabled social inclusion in WASH.....improve, promote & impacts lives..

Great to share from Nigeria perspective, You mostly see girls and women underwear spread in the bathroom or toilet as the case may be, while some still spread within the courtyard. From the women perspective, it is uncultured for a girl underwear to be public seen by every one. This is a life long culture and perception.But I see those perceptions gradually fading among the educated girl, women population.
Daniel Ifegwu Iroegbu
The following user(s) like this post: RachelTTextiles

• Mbaja

Who actually cleans the sanitation facilities in schools? students?

I remember in my primary school we had some latrines constructed by the Min of Education, the first week we all enjoyed using them but then, with time we could no longer use them because they were disgustingly dirty. Most schools would not afford to hire someone to clean them so it will be up to the school to have a duty roster and the pupils/students would clean the toilets. This was so badly done that in the end we just stopped using the school toilets. Many girls will opt to stay at home during menstruation rather than going to school.
The following user(s) like this post: RachelTTextiles, Mintje

• Mbaja

Thank you for bringing this up. I am also very interested to find out if the girls actually hang the used clothes in public space. I think most of the girls would feel very uncomfortable or will do it in secret when no one is around. In some places in Kenya for example in my community, it is a taboo for men and boys to see a girls' under garments. So the girls to don't hang their underwear's outside in the sun but rather under their beds.
The following user(s) like this post: Mintje, 1Rose

• HinaKau

Re: Taking Note of Pad Management in Schools

In Pakistan, we are also built these incinerators with girl friendly toilets that are connected through a passageway from inside the toilet. Wash basin or washing pad is also constructed with in toilet to wash the cloth. These incinerators are operated in many school, however challenges around it are still there. Being a conservative country, lot of Taboos with menstruation blood is also linked e.g No male should see menstruation blood and in school normally caretakers are male.
Furthermore, its environmental impact still needs to be check.
Hina Kausar
The following user(s) like this post: Mintje

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds