Tools for the generation of sanitation systems considering novel technology options and for the quantification of nutrient, water, and total solid balances at the scale of an urban setting

• dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Re: Tools for the generation of sanitation systems considering novel technology options and for the quantification of nutrient, water, and total solid balances at the scale of an urban setting

Hi Elisabeth

In my tool I do not look at GIS data. Population density can be considered but only aggregarted over the whole case being looked at (e.g. the min, max, mean population in a sector of a city). Also the distances between the dwelling can be considered in the same way. But this means that the corresponding performance data for the technologies being looked at have to be known. Currently, we did not include these data because we had struggles to define generic technology performance for a certain population density. We do however always consider slope, but only for the conveyance technologies as there we have the date.
And the tool is looks at four aspects:
1) how appropriate are different technologies for the case at hand based on a number of criteria (that can be expanded as mentioned above)
2) what system configurations can be derived from and what type of systems show high appropriateness
2) what is the resource efficiency of the tools in terms of water, nutrients, energy, organics
The tool does not look at service models for operation and maintenance or logistics!
Transport is only considered by the different conveyance technologies (piped, motorized, human-powered, etc.) and their appropriateness. explicit spatial distances are not considered.

The main aim is to enable planners to consider a large and diverse range of conventional and novel technology options and to systematically and transparently compare their local appropriateness in order to have good set of e.g. three options to discuss with stakeholders in the framework of strategic planning (e.g. Sanitaiton21, CWIS). These three options then might be compared looking at different service models and financial arrangements as well as resource efficiency to find a good mix of options to fit to the city characteristics. The tool does by no mean replace a detailed feasibility study.

Does this answer your questions?

Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
You need to login to reply
  • dorothee.spuhler
    Topic Author
  • Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. Co-Lead of WG1

Re: Tools for the generation of sanitation systems considering novel technology options and for the quantification of nutrient, water, and total solid balances at the scale of an urban setting

Dear Heiner
Thank you for your interest!
I have some contact at FIBL but never talked to them about my thesis, it is on my to do list now!
Regarding the question of for the finizio Pilotanlage: I would expect quite some air losses of nitrogen and total solids but good recovery of the rest. Did you do any tests so far?
I would be very intersted to learn more about the process!
Dorothee
WG1 Co-lead
Developing methods and tools to support strategic planning for sustainable sanitation. Particular interested in novel technologies contributing to more inclusive and circular sanitation. This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  • Heiner
  • I am a retired organic farmer and interested in nutrient cycles. As an volunteer I now travel mainly to poor countries and together with locals I would like to find new ways of sustainable agriculture. This is beyond the regulations of IFOAM.

Dear Dorothee,

thanks for your reply! Please keep me informed if you get in contact with the FibL guys. I know within the organic scene is quite a strong resistance to this topic. Although they all talk about "closing the loop". But in their opinion they close the loop by composting the shit of the cows. It is a bit ridiculous when you balance the production of a farm. But the organic food ist branded and labled as "clean food" and all the consultants and companies who earn millions of euros every year have no interest nor understanding in nutrient circles as they exist in nature.
Urs Niggli, the former and now retired Director, was a bit different and I wonder who will answer you now........

After I receive my second  shot (in June) I'll go to Finizio guys and we have a lot to talk. You mentioned the losses of the process.....

What came up in my mind by a TV report and discussion (scobel) ist the importance of fungi in the process of composting feces. I had a short exchange with an scientist in Germany. They work hard on it and have good results on decomposing pharmaceuticals and start even now on plastic. And if the temperature in this process is high enough for a short time, even the beloved ascaris might have a hard time.

Today there was an article in the "Süddeutsche Zeitung" about a new UN report on increasing numbers of "Dead Zones" in the oceans due to the freight of nitrogen and phosphorous. So we all know what to do and it is a poor reference for our societies. Flying to the mars and destroying our oceans at the same time.

Have a good day,
Heiner
Heiner, the old farmer.....
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds