The Role of Illustrated Systems Analysis in FSM Hardware Innovation

Page selection:
  • Elisabeth
  • Freelance consultant since 2012 (former roles: program manager at GIZ and SuSanA secretariat, lecturer, process engineer for wastewater treatment plants)

Re: The Role of Illustrated Systems Analysis in FSM Hardware Innovation

Hi Francis,
That's great news about the CC BY-SA licence for your illustrations. I look forward to including them in some Wikipedia articles.

But how do we now get the illustrations as jpg files (or other graphic formats)? We only have the presentations slides so far. For example these images:

Maybe you can share them via a One Drive or Google Drive link or maybe they could be uploaded to SuSanA's flickr image database (or to Wikimedia Commons)? I usually work with jpg files, but gif or some other fomats might also work, depending on the method of sharing that is easiest.

Another question: how do you avoid reinforcing stereotypes - for example I noticed that many of your figures look like males, not just the pit emptiers but also the engineers/supervisors etc. I think the figures should either very much on purpose look neither male nor female (which is not easy to do) or one should have a mixture of people, so as to not exclude women (unless we are saying that the unpleasant job of pit emptying should only be done by males). The same might possibly apply to skin colour, as it could be problematic if the pit emptiers are always dark skinned if the images are used in a context outside of Africa. Or am I thinking too politically correct?

Regards,
Elisabeth
Dr. Elisabeth von Muench
Freelance consultant on environmental and climate projects
Located in Ulm, Germany
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
My Wikipedia user profile: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:EMsmile
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/elisabethvonmuench/
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • FrancisdelosReyes
    Topic Author
  • I am a professor and environmental engineer at NC State University, USA. I am interested in wastewater treatment, WASH, microbial ecology.

Re: The Role of Illustrated Systems Analysis in FSM Hardware Innovation

See attached slides.
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
Francis de los Reyes III
Professor/TED Fellow

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) like this post: povington

• FrancisdelosReyes
    Topic Author
  • I am a professor and environmental engineer at NC State University, USA. I am interested in wastewater treatment, WASH, microbial ecology.

The Role of Illustrated Systems Analysis in FSM Hardware Innovation

Hello FSM Colleagues- We’ve heard some interest on our use of illustrations to drive the development of our pit emptying device. NC State found that simple diagrams and pictures to describe the pit latrine emptying process has been a powerful collaboration tool. We presented this topic last year at FSM5 and I wanted to share with colleagues here.

We grant permission to the public to use and derive images on slides specifically marked under the Creative Commons Share Alike License (Attribution-ShareAlike, CC BY-SA)

According to Creative Commons, “This license lets others remix, adapt, and build upon your work even for commercial purposes, as long as they credit you and license their new creations under the identical terms. This license is often compared to “copyleft” free and open source software licenses. All new works based on yours will carry the same license, so any derivatives will also allow commercial use. This is the license used by Wikipedia, and is recommended for materials that would benefit from incorporating content from Wikipedia and similarly licensed projects.”

For more information see: creativecommons.org/licenses/.
Francis de los Reyes III
Professor/TED Fellow

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds