Report on assessment of school sanitation in two Ghana villages (a look at the EcoSan toilet block we have recently completed)

• Linda2019
    Topic Author
  • Dr Linda East is an Honorary Associate Professor in Health Sciences (Nottingham University, UK) and a Trustee of Dream Big Ghana Foundation (UK).

Re: Report on assessment of school sanitation in two Ghana villages (a look at the EcoSan toilet block we have recently completed)

Hi Elisabeth,
Thanks again for your follow up questions and your advice! We are always learning and striving for the best, most sustainable solutions. 

1) Yes, the photos showing the cubicles without a roof are all urinals. There is a wall dividing the boys and the girls. Exactly our plan! Try to reduce and limit the urine entering the toilets by providing fantastic urinals. In our education sessions we talk to the students about this and the importance of trying to keep the toilets dry! 

2) The urine is currently going into soak pits. Our plan for 2021 is to explore the use/ collection of urine to be used as a fertilizer. I have visited a couple of EcoSan programmes in India being ran by  Sanitation First  and they really struggled with collection. Do you know any programmes that make use of it? 

3) That is a very good point you make! There are large vent pipes going into the chambers just like our EcoSan toilets and we can drill holes in our slabs that cover the toilet when composting so do you think there could be a chance for composting to occur?  If not, like you say, it being dry and odour free is a huge step forward! Would you have any other advice on this aspect? 

It has been a tough time as a big part of our market was international tourism and expats. We do however, have a very good reputation in Ghana so our Ghanaian market has saved us! I hope things are improving where you are! Thanks again for showing interest in our work and offering such valuable advice! 

Many thanks,

Dougal Joshua Croudace CEO
Meet Me There African Home Lodge
And Dream Big Ghana NGO
You need to login to reply
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds