Production of candle water filters in Burundi

Page selection:
  • reidharvey7734
    Topic Author
  • I am a ceramic industrial designer focused on environmental health and development. Ceramics is ideally suited to addressing the urgent needs of low-income communities and countries. Those embracing ceramic developments will industrialize, gaining resilience and self-sufficiency.

Re: Production of candle water filters in Burundi

Greetings All, again, you are the best!  Please have a look at the presentation of this link. Nearly all of the SDGs are addressed squarely through simple ceramic production and implementation, starting with SDG1, No Poverty.  Those impoverished are both capable and eager to learn.
Insulatingrocket stoves and candle water filters - IDP trainings.pdf - Google Drive
All the best, Reid
Anthony Reid Harvey, ceramic industrial designer
Africa Prosperity Inc.
Niagara Falls, NY USA
Here is a video presentation that gives an overview of ceramic WASH and development interventions:
Harvey, Anthony Reid (2021): Sanitary stoneware toilets: production closer to the need. Loughborough University. Conference contribution. hdl.handle.net/2134/16941193.v1

Please Log in to join the conversation.

You need to login to reply
  • Fesvit

Thanks Anthony,

Is there a training (video or guide) on the production. I want to teach rural women in Nigeria who have less access to clean water. I and my team at hsain.org will be glad to take up this course. I can be reached at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks!

• reidharvey7734
    Topic Author
  • I am a ceramic industrial designer focused on environmental health and development. Ceramics is ideally suited to addressing the urgent needs of low-income communities and countries. Those embracing ceramic developments will industrialize, gaining resilience and self-sufficiency.

Fired clay, ie., ceramic ware, is only impermeable if fired to high temperature.  E.g., stoneware, fired to 1300C, is impermeable.  Earthenware, fired to 900C, is rather porous.  In both cases, the addition of a fine grained combustible such as charcoal powder, contributes to porosity.  Impermeable stoneware becomes permeable when the clay composition contains charcoal powder. 

When purchasing ceramic water filters one might ask if these are fired to stoneware temperatures, but the answer is likely to be, "No."  The high strength of stoneware suggests a long lifetime, but manufacturers may prefer frequent replacement of their filters.  
All the best, Reid
Africa Prosperity Inc.
Niagara Falls, NY USA
Here is a video presentation that gives an overview of ceramic WASH and development interventions:
Harvey, Anthony Reid (2021): Sanitary stoneware toilets: production closer to the need. Loughborough University. Conference contribution. hdl.handle.net/2134/16941193.v1
The following user(s) like this post: paresh

• Fesvit

Good job Anthony,

Clay and Charcoal....... Clay is an impermeable material, how do water go through it? Been curious, am here to learn, please how do these two (clay and Charcoal) work together?

I await your response.

Thanks.

• reidharvey7734
    Topic Author

About the water filter candle, both the inner spindle and the outer surface are tapered, making release easy. Bravo, trainees at IDP Camp SOBEL, Burundi. m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid07105...08243773158&sfnsn=mo
All the best, Reid
Africa Prosperity Inc.
Niagara Falls, NY USA

• reidharvey7734
    Topic Author

If one is producing candle water filters it only makes sense to produce insulating rocket stoves as well.  For the candle filter posted this has the same composition as that of the bricks of the stove:  50/50 powders of clay and charcoal.  Production and implementation are in synergy.  Shown here is the first of our insulating rocket stoves, put together by refugees at the IDP Camp SOBEL in Burundi. 

The stove is a little too thick walled and because we were compelled to take shortcuts in the forming process the stove, e.g., has too much mortar between the bricks.  The refugees did do a wonderful job though, considering it's their first stove.  It brought 5 liters of water to a rapid boil in just 4 or 5 minutes, despite the fact that the water was not covered.  photos.app.goo.gl/SjSAwHBPBV7sRK3B7
All the best, Reid
Africa Prosperity Inc.
Niagara Falls, NY USA

• reidharvey7734
    Topic Author

Production of candle water filters in Burundi

Greetings All, you are the best!
Here is a photo of the forming of our first candle water filter, here In Burundi, at the IDP Camp SOBEL. Its composition is identical to that of the bricks of our insulating rocket stove 50/50, powders of clay and charcoal. This forming process is known as *jiggering*.

Through experimentation with the correct percentage of charcoal the host should arrive at the correct flow rate. Once production is consistent, simple treatment with silver should follow. As previously mentioned, it should be possible to treat drinking water to the highest standards. I believe that the lifetime of such filters could be ten years.

photos.app.goo.gl/ZDxUqhDog5L4bH6e8
All the best, Reid
Africa Prosperity Inc.
Niagara Falls, NY USA
Attachments:
The following user(s) like this post: jkeichholz

Page selection:
Share this thread:
Recently active users. Who else has been active?
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds